1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 602 Likes on 391 Posts
I use the RR plenum inserts.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,523 Likes on 2,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Jregezeino
Yeah I suspect it may be a challenge, but doable. The instructions say to make a hook with one end of the wire, feed it around the clasp, and then wrap the more accessible one with the remaining wire to tighten it up. I will certainly be tightening mine before I shove it back there.

I was seeing 350 degrees on the housing at idle after a towing run , I think based off the thickness of this thing that I’ll be able to rest a hand on it.

Sous, you video of the sxe install is invaluable, but I noticed how easy you make the turbo/up pipe removal look in the vid and I forgot the real world experience. NOT EASY!! Haha. “Now, remove the turbo “.

Made a little progress last night. What are y’all’s thoughts on exchanging my “flat plenums” for a set of billet ones from Riff Raff? Is this wasted $$$ ? I wanted to replace the oem stamped ones so I could clamp down better with my intake boots, but I’m wondering if the inserts that RR sells may be sufficient. I really am not crazy about removing all that stock rtv and dealing with Gooping up the new ones, struggling to put them on correctly.

I like your blue tape idea Sous
I look forward to your "too hot to touch" review on the blanket. I may get it, but I may find something else to spend my cash on. DJI is about to release a new drone that is 245 grams, which means that I don't have to register it with the FAA. Been toying around with the idea of getting a drone, but like everything else involving money I take my time and mull over it for a while.

Thanks for the compliment on the video. One of the luxuries of editing a video is that a task that takes 2 hours, 3 beers and a lot of cussing can be cut down into 10 seconds of great success. I remember how difficult the OEM up-pipes were since I did them twice. Rest assured sir, you will not have that seemingly fruitless battle anymore now that you are upgrading to a T4.

As for the billet plenums or no, I went the same route as Dan V several years ago and the inserts are still holding strong. The OEM plenums (if they are not leaking) are good to ~45 - 50 psi based on previous FTE'rs experience and lessons learned. If they leaking, they should be removed and resealed at the very least. I would probably just do that if mine ever started leaking since I don't ever plan to go any bigger than the 364.5 SXE and maybe AC 160/0 injectors. Realistically the AD 140/0 injectors provide more than enough power and great performance with the SXE that I don't ever see myself going bigger on the injectors. So, the billet plenums are not wasted money, if you need them for the increased psi rating or your OEM plenums are damaged. Although, if you are upgrading just because, then the billet inserts are a much better choice in my opinion.

I learned the blue tape idea years ago when I was looking for a connector on one of my cars that had fallen out of sight. Since that day I have used a bit of blue tape to mark them and I have had zero problems finding or remembering connectors.

Keep us posted on your progress and we love pictures! Take your time, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:10 PM
limatw50
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from hunting and will be installing my turbo next week. I just unboxed the T4 kit and i dont have the CCV attachment. im wondering if i should exchange it or have it added?

Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Ridedan2
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
If you have a mig, weld one in.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by limatw50
I just got back from hunting and will be installing my turbo next week. I just unboxed the T4 kit and i dont have the CCV attachment. im wondering if i should exchange it or have it added?
I had the CCV port included in the pipe, which CSD thought was a bit strange. Although a lot of this I do can be considered strange...

Some people like the CCV mod, I don't and didn't want to reroute it. @SRBF150 installed a CCV port in his tube. It should be a fairly simple process if you decide to have yours modified.

Alternatively, you can see about exchanging it.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Jregezeino
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Made a little bit of progress today, man that down pipe was a pain in the arzz to get outta there. Sawzall to the rescue but still wasn’t pretty! Got the pedestal in place and the up pipes stabbed in their final resting place, to my surprise a slight bend of the passenger side fuel line and it fits pretty good.

Old

New! Looks pretty mean and industrial eh?

Prior to tweaking the line.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Sous,

How much benefit are we talking here?....vs getting the dang thing on....in the truck.
What are you talking about?
I have a blanket in my e350,VERY easy to install..

Old 11-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FinnishStroker
What are you talking about?
I have a blanket in my e350,VERY easy to install..
So, you pull the doghouse, and it's right there.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:59 AM
Jregezeino
Tuned
Yes guys, I can confirm that the blanket is Not an easy install on these beasts (can’t say what the e350 is like). After two hours of wrestling with the exhaust housing mounting nuts on the sxe, the blanket got the best of me and I cut it off. I may try and reinstall it once I get everything tightened up using some springs rather than the wire it came with, but I will go into it expecting a fight.

Chipping away at my install, slow going with just one person. Did the quarter mod in the drivers side uvch while I was there, not excited about the passenger side. That connecter was hanging on by just a tiny bit of engaged plastic clip, glad I did it. Here are some latest photos. Questions welcomed!

Old 11-03-2019, 04:39 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Doing turbo,up pipes and tranny housing bolts is EASY on a van.
BUT everything that is EASY on pickup is PITA on a van!

For example my glow plug relay upgrade is hanging on becouse it is tight in there!

I might even pull the motor IF i upgrade injectors and do everything while im there;glow plugs,head studs,valve springs,oil pan...

ps.Does any of aftermarket T4 kits,fit under van doghouse without modification?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
I would think that they need the same clearances for a 7.3 in a E series as they do an F series.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,979 Likes on 1,967 Posts
Somebody just shoot me now. All this glorious T4/SXE **** is really going to get me in trouble with the wife.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Well, thanks for making the decision for me on the turbo blanket. I was on the fence before, but am now standing firmly on the "I'll pass" side of the fence.

I imagine the blanket will do a good job of keeping temperatures lower under the hood, which was my goal. But the cost/work vs. benefit is not there for me personally.

FTN, you have an incredible engine that most of us would love to have. I/we look forward to your T4 install one day. Look at it this way, we are your real world research team that is allowing you to decide on which fabricator you want to buy the kit from and what combo of SXE and turbine you feel would suit your needs best.

All in due time my friend.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Somebody just shoot me now. All this glorious T4/SXE **** is really going to get me in trouble with the wife.
But honey, I saved a pile of $ when I DYI'd the rear axle.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Jregezeino
Tuned
Originally Posted by Dan V
But honey, I saved a pile of $ when I DYI'd the rear axle.
I funded my whole swap with parts sales, gotta find those guys parting out X’s and get those parts for cheap! eBay is a glorious thing.

Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...