1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 606 Likes on 393 Posts
I no longer have the OEM flex pipe.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,560 Likes on 2,889 Posts
@Dan V Well, I did have a spare, but I cannot find it anywhere... I bought the intake and box from Brian42 a while back so I could have a second one in case I screwed the first one up. I don't know where it is though...

@Riffraff Performance has them listed for $55 though. That is an option for you unless you wanted to fabricate something up since you are mediocre at welding but great at grinding...

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/intake-boot-99-5-03/

You could put a listing in the "free parts" thread to see if anyone has one they are willing to sell cheap. Maybe find one on eBay...

Old 04-13-2020, 09:16 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
I no longer have the OEM flex pipe.
Dan, you still running the S&B?
Care to share a photo of your setup? I’m curious to see what you used instead of the OEM flex pipe.

From what everyone has told me I’m planning to use the 6637. It seems a pretty unanimous voice that the noise level is not an issue with the sxe so spending money on anything beyond a 6637 would just be for looks unless someone already had an intake and wanted to keep it. Personally, I already have a 6637 in storage to use so it made my decision easy. Although I am going to miss the nice clean look of the AIS as I’ve been told it won’t flow well enough for the sxe.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
@RacinJasonWV , I had the AIS prior to the SXE install and I also liked the look of the AIS. It was clean and OEM looking for the most part.

That said, the intake I "built" with the black pre-filter cover and the Donaldson filter bracket, the 6637 looks pretty darn good if I must say so. It does not stand out in anyway like the rice burner engine bays of past. At $30 it is a bit pricey for a clamp, but I think it is a nice finishing piece and holds the filter in place very well.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/donal...nting-bracket/

Old 04-13-2020, 10:00 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Here is the CSD pipe with CCV (we added the CCV) connected to the S&B

Old 04-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Dan, you still running the S&B?
Care to share a photo of your setup? I’m curious to see what you used instead of the OEM flex pipe.

From what everyone has told me I’m planning to use the 6637. It seems a pretty unanimous voice that the noise level is not an issue with the sxe so spending money on anything beyond a 6637 would just be for looks unless someone already had an intake and wanted to keep it. Personally, I already have a 6637 in storage to use so it made my decision easy. Although I am going to miss the nice clean look of the AIS as I’ve been told it won’t flow well enough for the sxe.
Here's the deal. Way back in the day I ran the Stock airbox, then the AIS (very nice, but it wouldn't flow the air once I upgraded to 160/30), then to the S&B...all that with the "stock" turbo. Then I installed the CSD T4...and had to trim the 4" metal intake tube supplied by CSD and the plastic tube on the S&B.

I'm finishing up a huge frame off restoration of this truck, donor frame with a 2007 coil swap....so now that I have the cab on, the engine in and I'm wrapping up the under hood stuff, I notice that my MAP line is now short....and the S&B intake which did fit....now doesn't, and something needs to be trimmed. I'm just guessing that the engine is sitting more to the left side in this frame than the old frame. I didn't have the cab on when I placed the cab, but I did notice that engine mount holes showed a small offset. I tried re-seating the engine in the frame but it likes to find it's own home.

I'm just not going to trim anymore off the CSD pipe, and I really think I'm out of room to trim the S&B tube anymore. And, the S&B battery tray is cheesy (on it's best day)

I don't have the OEM flex tube any longer as that went with the AIS when I sold it to a friend. I think a 4" 45 degree bend will get me close to where I need to be...then source a new battery tray. So RiffRaff here I come.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
@akcooper9 When I get home from work....yes I'm essential...I'll take a picture of what I have. In the mean time measure the length of the S&B tube....please.

on edit...Your S&B is th newer version with the plastic battery tray?....mine is some terrible piece of formed metal....that rust is having it's way with.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:28 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Here is my 'hacked together' tube that goes from the turbo to the stock CCV ring

Old 04-13-2020, 10:33 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Here is my 2 cents.

The S&B is expensive, bulky and NO quieter then a 6637 filter with a SXE turbo. Let me explain:

Between my FIL's truck with a SXE and S&B vs mine with a SXE and 6637, I can't tell a difference in turbo whistle or noise.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I like the way Aaron made his intake come together and when I was putting the T4 kit on I would have preferred to go that route. Although, after piecing together the CSD tube and the OEM tube to the 6637, I am very happy with how it turned out. I would say it is just as secure as the AIS was mounted in there. This may have something to do with the overlap of the OEM tube onto the CSD tube and the bracket holding the filter toward the fender, but that thing is going nowhere. I can reach in there with both hands and shake it and it is solid.

That said, I have zero concerns about an intake leak or the tubes coming apart. The clamp over the OEM tube onto the CSD tube is not really needed the fit is so tight. The CSD pipe has the CCV port welded in and the CCV hose helps position the CSD tube in the proper orientation. There is a good amount of overlap at each joint/union including the shortest one which is at the turbo face.

Dan, I really think you will get something figured out based on your knowledge and fabrication skills. I mean... You are doing a frame up restoration there is no way a 4" intake tube is going to get you hung up...

Old 04-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
@Sous Oh it won't get me hung up...but, it's a money hemorrhage right now. New windshield $250, had a driveshaft shortened $270...oh, new u-joint ($35) for the shaft I just had done 'cuz I stupidly didn't check the u-joint flange at the transfer case....and FYI, the 2001 flange and a 2004 flange are different. Needs batteries $300...would like to recover the seats with leather $1000

Old 04-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
@Dan V , I know it won't and I understand about the cash you are hemorrhaging. That is merely one if the reasons why people like me can dream and watch people like you do a frame up rebuild.

On a side note, I you decide you would like me to dig further into my stockpile of crap (read as parts) and look harder for the spare OEM tube, I will do that. It will probably cost about $20 or more to send it up to you, but I would be willing to do so if you wanted to go that route and I could find it.

Ponder your path to success regarding the intake and you have my number if you need me.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:30 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
I really like akcooper9’s setup plumbed into the factory CCV tube. Wish this was the way the kit came then any already existing filter setup would work. It would be zero hassle on this regard.

Here’s my plan. Test fit the 6637 using the CSD supplied pipe and see how close it is to working as supplied. If much is needed to make it fit correctly to the 6637, then I plan to modify as akcooper9 did and use my previous 6637 setup as it fit nicely.

I already have the “6637 bracket” from when I did the Tymar kit on my 96 (kept the kit when truck sold). I never felt the need to use it on the 2001 because the filter fit nicely onto the base of the original air box. Not sure what I’m missing here as to why everyone is pulling the base out and using the bracket. But it’s been a while so I’ll just see how it all fits together during install.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
I never felt the need to use it on the 2001 because the filter fit nicely onto the base of the original air box. Not sure what I’m missing here as to why everyone is pulling the base out and using the bracket. But it’s been a while so I’ll just see how it all fits together during install.
I removed the original air box when I installed the AIS and then I removed the entire AIS when I sold that. So, the 6637 would have been "resting" on the fender well liner which would have probably been OK, but I wanted something a bit more secure and finished looking. The bracket which is attached to the steel battery tray fits nicely and holds the filter in place very well. It looks really good since everything is black including pre-filter cover and the CSD intake tube I painted.

If you have the ability and tools to go the akcooper9 route, I would highly recommend that. If you don't, then a combination of what I have done and what you want to do will work just as well.

Either way, we look forward to seeing your pictures and results.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:35 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dan V
I think a 4" 45 degree bend will get me close to where I need to be....
@Dan V Maybe something like would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372130765474

Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...