1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 141 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by limatw50
I ordered my T4 from CSD this morning. He tried and he couldnt match the turbo and housing price quoted by TCS. Carson said the down pipe issue of not lining up properly has been fix so I will let all know how it goes during install. I ordered the BW SXE 364.5 (13009097055) and housing .91 (177208) from TCS and it was going to be $700.00 but I paid $45 extra for two day shipping so $745.00 for both that includes 2 day shipping no tax.
That's great. Our you going to get it installed before your trip? Report back on your hunting. I was going this year just to go but my truck is now in the body shop for repair.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,473 Likes on 2,857 Posts
I ordered my T4 from CSD this morning. He tried and he couldnt match the turbo and housing price quoted by TCS. Carson said the down pipe issue of not lining up properly has been fix so I will let all know how it goes during install. I ordered the BW SXE 364.5 (13009097055) and housing .91 (177208) from TCS and it was going to be $700.00 but I paid $45 extra for two day shipping so $745.00 for both that includes 2 day shipping no tax.
I had a great experience with TCS and it was a fluke that I found them. I would not hesitate to recommend them to a friend.

I think you will be happy with the 364.5 as your selection.

Based on my install and a couple of others just here on the FTE, I am confident in recommending the CSD kit and that the down pipe issues have been resolved. I had zero problems, but I have a ZF6 and the tunnel to the undercarriage of the truck is a bit different than the 4R100.

@limatw50 when you get ready to install the kit and turbo, it might be a good idea to start your own thread in order to archive your own personal thoughts and opinions. We like pictures and videos as well if you feel inclined to post any.

We look forward to your progress in your journey to a well breathing and performing 7.3L diesel.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM
limatw50
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
That's great. Our you going to get it installed before your trip? Report back on your hunting. I was going this year just to go but my truck is now in the body shop for repair.
I'm going to try the install before the trip but I have alot going on right now so it's going to be tuff. Nothing bad just 1st world problems llike family in town for a wedding and I bought/built a new rifle and still need to work up a new load for it. ect ect ect.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 PM
limatw50
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Sous
I had a great experience with TCS and it was a fluke that I found them. I would not hesitate to recommend them to a friend.

I think you will be happy with the 364.5 as your selection.

Based on my install and a couple of others just here on the FTE, I am confident in recommending the CSD kit and that the down pipe issues have been resolved. I had zero problems, but I have a ZF6 and the tunnel to the undercarriage of the truck is a bit different than the 4R100.

@limatw50 when you get ready to install the kit and turbo, it might be a good idea to start your own thread in order to archive your own personal thoughts and opinions. We like pictures and videos as well if you feel inclined to post any.

We look forward to your progress in your journey to a well breathing and performing 7.3L diesel.
I will start a new thread Sous and take pics but not sure when I'll be able to post them.

I'm just wondering if I should buy the flex pipe, clamps and 3.5 to 4" in case it doesn't line up as Carson said it would. I won't have time to order anything once I start.

I looked at the exhaust today and even though it has been on the truck for at least 15 yrs it is not very rusted but the manifold bolts are.

Down pipe to exhaust. There are a couple tac welds that will need to be removed.

A pic of the probe I put in recently.

The current down pipe is already rubbing but not bad.

The leaf Spring poked a hole in the tailpipe. 🤦*♂️

Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 141 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm going to try the install before the trip but I have alot going on right now so it's going to be tuff. Nothing bad just 1st world problems llike family in town for a wedding and I bought/built a new rifle and still need to work up a new load for it. ect ect ect.
I know the problems. I use to reload myself but haven't in years. But they are the best loads for sure. Site that rifle in for sure. Always hated doing it at camp.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,141 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I know the problems. I use to reload myself but haven't in years. But they are the best loads for sure.
So many powders and possible grain and bullet combos to experiment with. Its a fun problem to have. Then once ya find the one combo it loves ya get to load up a few hundred of that load and move on to another gun. Then they come out with new powders ya gotta try and the cycle repeats

Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
@limatw50 if I were you and in a time crunch like you are, I would get everything and anything I thought I might need. If you end up not needing it, return it... Each truck is different and each of us has taken a somewhat different approach to attaching the CSD down pipe to the existing exhaust. Even if we used the exact same pieces, the install was a bit different one way or another.

Although, since you are in Vegas, you may be able to find the parts you need locally in short order.

As for posting pictures and creating your own post, we will be here for a while so no worries if it takes you a bit. There are many people that are interested to see and hear what you have to say.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Just binge-read the whole thread. Awesome job Sous! Looks like I should have paid closer attention to this conversation when it started as I had since started to gather parts for a modified van turbo. Might have some new parts for sale soon.

One thing I am not clear on is the decision to pull the AIS intake and install the 6635. Does the SXE want that much more air, or was the decision based on preference? Apologies in advance if this was mentioned and I did not see it.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA

One thing I am not clear on is the decision to pull the AIS intake and install the 6635. Does the SXE want that much more air, or was the decision based on preference? Apologies in advance if this was mentioned and I did not see it.
I always say that people should go with their gut feeling and do what is right for their family, truck and situation. This is the ONLY reason I removed the AIS and installed the Donaldson blue 6637 filter.

I have read time and time again that even just the 38R requires more air than the AIS can offer, so the KC and SXE should pull as much or more air than the 38R simply based on technology advancements.

I could have gone with a S&B, but at the price they are charging I didn't want to deal with the fitment issues so many are having. There are done other intakes available, but since I didn't have turbo screaming noise concerns like the 38R owners have, my gut told me the Donaldson 6637 was the right choice.

I bought a black sleeve for it as well to tone down the blue and think it looks nice. It is not factory looking, but I think it looks discreet and fits well.

The noise level from the SXE and 6637 is at the same level or slightly less than the modified stock turbo with the AIS.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Gotcha! That rounds out the picture nicely

Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
One more question.

Do not recall specific mention of another towing element, so again, apologies in advance if I missed it.

Any noticeable impressions / differences for slowing the load while coming down grade?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA

Any noticeable impressions / differences for slowing the load while coming down grade?
No noticeable difference at all when slowing the load coming down a grade when towing heavy. I had the EBPV delete for years prior to the SXE install and before that I never had a decel tune.

I use the ZF6 gears, MPH/RPM gauge, trailer brake controller for trailer brakes and quick stabs of the service brakes if needed like I always have. I never had a problem going down grades before at a safe speed, but try to plan ahead and meet the target descent speed before starting down the grade. We have been through the mountains in GA, TN, WV and VA so far with the SXE and had some good grades to climb and slide down. We were supposed to be out west right now, but life got in the way and the trip was delayed until next spring.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM
limatw50
Freshman User
TCS is awesome!

Originally Posted by Sous
@limatw50 if I were you and in a time crunch like you are, I would get everything and anything I thought I might need. If you end up not needing it, return it... Each truck is different and each of us has taken a somewhat different approach to attaching the CSD down pipe to the existing exhaust. Even if we used the exact same pieces, the install was a bit different one way or another.

Although, since you are in Vegas, you may be able to find the parts you need locally in short order.

As for posting pictures and creating your own post, we will be here for a while so no worries if it takes you a bit. There are many people that are interested to see and hear what you have to say.

TCS is awesome!! Fast and organized not to mention no one could come close to them on price.
I ordered the T4 from CSD before the turbo and it's still not here. I had to email and then call to get a tracking number and it shows it won't be here until Thursday. 😖🙁I leave Friday morning so the install will have to wait until after hunting trip. Everything else like exhaust wrap ect ect is here also from Amazon.

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Great news about TCS!

When I ordered my kit from CSD I needed the CCV port in the intake. I also told them I was in no rush to get it, but was looking forward to it.

I "think" I received the kit 2 weeks later as they were waiting on the intake with CCV port from their fabricator.

Hopefully the wait for you is worth the reward like it has been for the rest of us.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 AM
limatw50
Freshman User
They probably did me a faver. I probabaly shouldnt be rushing the install anyways. I too asked for the CCV attachment. He didnt say any delay because of it. Not sure why my picture is sideways?

Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...