Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Not necessarily. When the headlights are in DRL mode there is a resister switched inline to reduce the voltage a little bit to the headlights. Considering that I go for years ata time for a $15 or $20 part, I'm not going to lose sleep about longevity.

BTW - I think the halogens on our XLT are fantastic. Maybe it's just that I set a low bar?
Your profile says you live in San Francisco area. Is it possible that you don't drive in dark areas very often? The city never gets dark like it does out in rural areas.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Delta Echo
Your profile says you live in San Francisco area. Is it possible that you don't drive in dark areas very often? The city never gets dark like it does out in rural areas.
LOL! We live in the country (but still on the peninsula). It is dark, dark, dark out here. No lights of any kind. Plus we're in the mountains, so we get the the low clouds that are basically fog when they are laying on the ground at altitude. I have the fog lights on more than off. It's not unusual to have less than 100' visibility.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 AM
EB-Larry
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Delta Echo
If there are low clouds there is always a sky glow. The SF Bay area is really large with pockets of dark sky and pitch black unlighted roads. I can still notice the difference in the LEDs vs halogens. If they had been a $1500 option I wouldn't have ordered them but I didn't even realize I was getting them. Happy I did though. They really light up the road.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It’s the HID bulbs that should not be placed in a housing designed for halogen lights. Although, from research I have done, HID bulbs perform surprisingly well in 2015-2017 F150 halogen housings.

I have been pleased enough with mine since properly aiming them that I haven’t thought much about lighting alternatives. I do like the idea of changing to brighter halogens. The bulb placement shouldn’t be an issue in a housing already designed for them. Cut offs, beam patterns and widths should all be the same. When those things change, that’s what blinds other drivers rather than light output that’s within reason. Since those bulbs are all OE specified in other vehicles, they shouldn’t be a problem.

There are so many cheap junk HID and LED bulbs/kits on the market that I would rather try more powerful halogen bulbs that I know are from reputable manufacturers. I looked at PIAA led bulbs, but to outfit highs, lows and fogs is $900.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM
tree10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always change my bulbs out to better Halogens. We live in the country and it's dark out here. As for longivity in Ontario DTRL are mandatory, I have a Honda CRV which uses a reduced headlight beam as a DTRL. I replaced the bulbs with higher output 4 years ago and they still are fine.
I have found the best source of bulbs are from Europe I buy mine from Power Bulbs in England mostly Philips or Oshram.

I don't know about the whole bulb matching the housing thing but the output is much better then stock.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
Kingofwylietx,Thank You very much for the Info on the H11 toH9 and the 9005 to 9011
The price on Amazon is not bad about 50 bucks to do both they have a higher wattage
and higher Lumens,Looking on here LED are out of my price range this is a Great alternative.
P/S Google did a great how to Video with a slight modification.
Be careful if you are increasing the power draw...last time I tinkered with light bulbs, I melted the harness and ended up needing a whole new assembly. Granted this was a 2003 Focus.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:29 PM
DevilDog556
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
It’s the HID bulbs that should not be placed in a housing designed for halogen lights. Although, from research I have done, HID bulbs perform surprisingly well in 2015-2017 F150 halogen housings.

I have been pleased enough with mine since properly aiming them that I haven’t thought much about lighting alternatives. I do like the idea of changing to brighter halogens. The bulb placement shouldn’t be an issue in a housing already designed for them. Cut offs, beam patterns and widths should all be the same. When those things change, that’s what blinds other drivers rather than light output that’s within reason. Since those bulbs are all OE specified in other vehicles, they shouldn’t be a problem.

There are so many cheap junk HID and LED bulbs/kits on the market that I would rather try more powerful halogen bulbs that I know are from reputable manufacturers. I looked at PIAA led bulbs, but to outfit highs, lows and fogs is $900.
Thankyou for bringing reason into this...I see so many folks on the roads while working with cheap HID/LED kits that blind everyone.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Halogen Bulbs

Yea i thought of that they go from 55watts to 65 watts,Its the Lumens that are increased by 1/3 approx.
I don't think for now the Hi Beam going into the Fog Lamp is a good idea,I know Heat is a Issue.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilDog556
Be careful if you are increasing the power draw...last time I tinkered with light bulbs, I melted the harness and ended up needing a whole new assembly. Granted this was a 2003 Focus.

Originally Posted by ecoboost12
Yea i thought of that they go from 55watts to 65 watts,Its the Lumens that are increased by 1/3 approx.
I don't think for now the Hi Beam going into the Fog Lamp is a good idea,I know Heat is a Issue.
I don't think I'd put those hi beam bulbs in my fog lamp. Frankly, I bet it would melt the factory fog light housing. I installed the Sylvania Zevo bulbs in my fog lights....no additional heat and better light output. I should also mention that I don't drive around with my fog lights on when it's not foggy or if I'm not in inclement weather.

Bulb quality these days varies greatly, from crummy Chinese stuff to the few good ones still on the market.
Here are a couple of good choices.
The best H11 bulb is (
Amazon Amazon
). It will make a moderate improvement, not a transformative one.
I don't know what the better/best H9 is today.
If you want to improve the high beams, get (
Amazon Amazon
) (despite Amazon's advisory that they won't fit) and trim one of the base tabs on these new bulbs as shown (HIR bulb base modification) . They produce a great deal more light than the original high beam bulbs, but are the same wattage, so there's no risk of damage to the truck or its warranty.