Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2017 F150 XLT Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Lucasmarshall59
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 F150 XLT Headlights

Hey everyone. So the headlights that came on my 17 XLT just aren't cutting it for me. I feel like I can hardly see anything at night even with my highbeams on so I'm thinking of upgrading them to something brighter but I don't want to spend a fortune in doing so. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My headlights aren't very bright either. I'm planning on getting HIDs to replace the factory halogens. You could also upgrade the entire headlight housing to the projector style used on Lariat and higher trims.

Whenever it's dark enough that I need light, and I'm not just using my headlights for other drivers' benefit, I use my fog lights as well. Unless it's pitch black out, I usually can't tell that my main headlights are even on.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:15 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting. I have no problems with my '15 XLT headlights. Far superior to the lights on the old '07 Sierra. I'm old and my eye sight is not what it used to be. Driving at night is a b***h at times. I really dislike the new LED, HID, ABC, XYZ lights that are on cars these days. Way too bright for me.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
It`s amazing how HID`s and now LED`s have convinced many people that the halogen lights on their newer vehicle is so horrible whereas before HID`s and LED`s were available, their was far less complaining and people just upgraded to a brighter bulb.

A few years from now, these same people will be saying the LED lighting in their new vehicle is the worse thing ever and those same people will be praising the new Laser lighting that for now is only available on some European vehicles.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:47 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucasmarshall59
Hey everyone. So the headlights that came on my 17 XLT just aren't cutting it for me. I feel like I can hardly see anything at night even with my highbeams on so I'm thinking of upgrading them to something brighter but I don't want to spend a fortune in doing so. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy?
Just upgrade to a brighter bulb from one of the aftermarket suppliers and call it a day.

There are plenty of people who have done this and the results have been great.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
The halogen headlights on my 2015 are actually pretty good. I especially compared to my 2008 Super Duty.

However, I had to adjust the headlights on this truck because Ford aims them low to account for the truck being loaded. If you adjust the beams higher you will probably be much more satisfied with them.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
It`s amazing how HID`s and now LED`s have convinced many people that the halogen lights on their newer vehicle is so horrible whereas before HID`s and LED`s were available, their was far less complaining and people just upgraded to a brighter bulb.

A few years from now, these same people will be saying the LED lighting in their new vehicle is the worse thing ever and those same people will be praising the new Laser lighting that for now is only available on some European vehicles.
I was actually planning on keeping my stock halogens instead of upgrading, but it's very difficult to see anything with them. My Dad has a set of soft white LEDs on his Raptor, and other than an intermittent flicker from the left bulb every few weeks, they're extremely bright. That flicker is what's making me think about HIDs instead of LEDs.

The first time my Mom rode in my truck with me at night, she thought I hadn't turned my headlights on at all. They were, in fact, on. Heck, I had to double-check to make sure they were on. It can't be an aim problem--I even remember going over several hills and watching the beam pattern as I faced down at another hill. I guess I'm just used to the brighter bulbs in my Dad's truck.

I don't think Halogens are awful, they just seem to be that way on my truck.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
DevilDog556
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By all means, do indeed upgrade your headlamps...just do your fellow motorists a favor and use the proper housings .

Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
The halogen headlights on my 2015 are actually pretty good. I especially compared to my 2008 Super Duty.

However, I had to adjust the headlights on this truck because Ford aims them low to account for the truck being loaded. If you adjust the beams higher you will probably be much more satisfied with them.
I had to aim my headlights slightly down, I was getting flashed a lot from oncoming vehicles.

I have a Lariat with LEDs and these headlights are awesome.

Either way, before jumping to conclusions it would help to check and aim the headlights. And then consider either aftermarket bulbs or new housings.

Just my thoughts.

Josh

Old 11-13-2017, 03:58 PM
groeder
New User
Originally Posted by JKBrad

I had to lower mine. They were pointing so high that my dims were better than the brights and I was constantly being flashed. That was with factory housings and bulbs.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I don't think Ford does a good job of aiming them at the factory. Either that, or there is only one predetermined setting that doesn't account for different suspensions, wheel tire combinations, etc.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the Halogens on mine and I have on coming traffic want me to dim them again. Plenty of light for my old eyes, and the high beams are awesome. I'd have the dealer check them out, to see if something's wrong.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 PM
WhiskyBadger
New User
Decided that I am going to give the Diode Dynamic SL1's a shot. I ordered the lows and the highs and am looking forward to maybe having this lack of lighting issue behind me. These are designed to work in place of the halogen bulbs in a stock headlight housing.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Tn.Lariat
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks WhiskeyBadger for the post. I seen these on Sema video and thought these looked like a great option. Please don't foget to give us a review on light output and fit.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM
Diode Dynamics
SPONSOR
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The SL1 was designed in-house, and is produced here in St. Louis, Missouri.

The attached image is photometric testing data with our SL1 vs. the factory halogen bulb in a 2015 Ford F-150. It demonstrates how our SL1 retains the same output pattern, but focuses the light further down the road. This is NOT a photoshopped image.

Thank you for your support!!

We are happy to be a new vendor on Ford-trucks.com!

Nick C.

Quick Reply: 2017 F150 XLT Headlights