Tow/Haul when starting - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tow/Haul when starting

Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Mcol
Freshman User
Mcol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tow/Haul when starting

From the tech folder I saw an article about setting up my truck to automatically turn on tow haul mode. I did some searching around on the forums for more info on this and didn't find a whole lot. I found 1 thread where a person reported improved fuel economy when running with it on in town and of course some other benefits. My question on this is how to use this. Start the truck out from stop in tow haul mode but then what? Turn it off at 55 or just leave it it that mode all the time or keep it at 2000 rpm? So at any rate I would appreciate some feedback here. I sure to like tow haul especially when slowing down. Love that the truck gears down feels like I'm back in my old standard 7.3 from the bygone years.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Once you're above 55 MPH it doesn't matter if you are in tow/haul or not. Either way it's going to be in overdrive.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Tideman
Posting Guru
Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.Tideman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Interesting. Would leaving it in tow/haul in the city improve fuel mileage?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I don't know the answer to that. I wouldn't expect it to, because it shifts at higher RPM. Higher RPM shifts tend to lower fuel economy.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
Subscribing. I, too, would be interested in this. I tow nearly every day and often forget to put it into tow mode.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 AM
Mcol
Freshman User
Mcol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just as an aside this is the thread I mentioned in my original post. Also I should clarify the tech folder doesn't say everyone should do this for any particular benefit just how to for those who need or want to. I've heard over the years from folks who say you should to benefit the transmission and truck but was never sure why. In searching I found the post below which prompted me to ask directly about it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-tow-haul.html

Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM
akblackfoot
Elder User
akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It would seem that some of the tunes that change shift points would have the same affect. I run and Innovative Xtreme X that shifts at a higher RPM and seem to get the best mileage with that tune.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
Well now that I know itís not gonna do any damage to drive in tow mode full time, I just need to train my brain to flip the switch just like I buckle my seatbelt. If I canít train myself then Iíll invest in the mod.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:37 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Those who know me here, know I'm not normal... after driving with tow/haul engaged in town, I still push the button and did step up to the stage 2 turbo. I'm a solid 15+ mpg in town and easily hit 20+ on the highway. Just this last weekend averaged 19.7mpg with a 6k trailer behind me.... but I have considerable mods to the truck and foot pressure dictates mileage. Light foot will get me better mileage or worse when heavy footed.

when not pushed to tow/haul I'm in the 14-15 mpg range all day long in town and the truck is quieter.

straight pipe and turbo whistle are very prominent in tow/haul!

I will warn you, your stuff better be straight. It will point out weak injectors and so forth as higher RPM tends to amplify everything.