General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

BBQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 230 Likes on 205 Posts
Your apartment building's management doesn't ban charcoal grills with an open flame?

Once you learn how to control the heat and temperature, slow roasting with the right wood will make some of the best meat you've ever tasted.

Any of you guys have any vegan recipes on the grill?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
No vegan here!

Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Just didn't want to leave anyone out.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Your apartment building's management doesn't ban charcoal grills with an open flame?
Yes but as long as there are no complaints the manager turns a blind eye. He did ask me to take down my bird feeder because they were making a mess. But I have a generator on the balcony and put a big radio antenna on the roof and he doesn't care.

Once you learn how to control the heat and temperature, slow roasting with the right wood will make some of the best meat you've ever tasted.
That's my next project. I want to go into the woods and 'stealth harvest' some nice firewood and try cooking with that.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:38 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by old farm truck
I want to go into the woods and 'stealth harvest' some nice firewood and try cooking with that.
Or you can just buy the right wood. How much driving and "poaching" are you planning to do, to make that worthwhile? There are cherry farms in The Central Valley, so you can probably ask the farmers to sell or give you wood. Let me know when that great road trip to Washington State will take place. I want to tag along to watch you "stealth harvest" an apple tree off some farmer's property.

I was out on my motorcycle in the middle of nowhere. On the side of the road, on public land side of private property fence line, there was wild fennel. I pulled over to take a leak.....which I probably should not have done.....since my pee technically went over the fence line and on to the private property. This farmer came along on horseback, like John "f-ing" Wayne, to have a word with me. It was a real stand-off. He had a long gun in a scabbard rigged to his saddle. Good thing I wasn't "stealth harvesting" anything. Turns out that he didn't care about me peeing over his fence line. He thought I was some "new age" weirdo, there to harvest the wild fennel. He needed that wild fennel there for his bees. According to the farmers, the "hippies from Santa Cruz" keep "stealing" his fennel. I have a big mouth. "The wild fennel is growing outside of your fence on public land, owned by CalTrans."

Old 09-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro

MESQUITE LUMP CHARCOAL
Restaurant Grade

MESQUITE LUMP CHARCOAL
Tandoori Grade

HARDWOOD LUMP CHARCOAL
Oak

CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES
Lazzari Box Pack

FIREWOOD FOR COOKING
Almond, Apple, Mesquite, Oak, Walnut

WOOD CHIPS FOR SMOKE COOKING
Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Alder, Cherry

WOOD CHUNKS FOR SMOKE COOKING
Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Alder, Cherry

WOOD SAWDUST FOR SMOKING
Hickory, Apple, Alder

FIRE STARTERS
Kindling, Fire Blox, Liquid Lighter

"All of my kitchens are designed to use Lazzari charcoal, even the one at home"
Charles Phan, The Slanted Door

LAZZARI IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY

Lazzari services restaurants and businesses through more than fifty regional and national distributors including many divisions of Sysco Foodservice, US Foodservice and Performance Food Group. We also offer direct delivery service to restaurant customers in the San Francisco area.

To become a foodservice distributor of Lazzari products or to find distributors in your area please contact us.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:35 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Or you can just buy the right wood. How much driving and "poaching" are you planning to do, to make that worthwhile? There are cherry farms in The Central Valley, so you can probably ask the farmers to sell or give you wood. Let me know when that great road trip to Washington State will take place. I want to tag along to watch you "stealth harvest" an apple tree off some farmer's property.

I was out on my motorcycle in the middle of nowhere. On the side of the road, on public land side of private property fence line, there was wild fennel. I pulled over to take a leak.....which I probably should not have done.....since my pee technically went over the fence line and on to the private property. This farmer came along on horseback, like John "f-ing" Wayne, to have a word with me. It was a real stand-off. He had a long gun in a scabbard rigged to his saddle. Good thing I wasn't "stealth harvesting" anything. Turns out that he didn't care about me peeing over his fence line. He thought I was some "new age" weirdo, there to harvest the wild fennel. He needed that wild fennel there for his bees. According to the farmers, the "hippies from Santa Cruz" keep "stealing" his fennel. I have a big mouth. "The wild fennel is growing outside of your fence on public land, owned by CalTrans."
I live in Quebec where we have a lot of government owned land and no one's going to miss a few trees.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
ssshhhhhh

Don't say that too loud.

Environmentalist may be listening.

You know how those tree huggers are. They chain themselves to trees so that loggers can't cut them down.

I say you go cut trees in the winter. If nothing else, it would be funny to see a bunch of Green Peace members chain themselves to trees in the forest, in the middle of winter, in 10 feet of snow.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
The tree huggers aren't too bad up here (yet). I do little junk removal jobs on the side and when my trailer's full I'll bring it to my sister's farm or my girlfriend's cottage and burn it. Never had any complaints.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
With all the activism in this part of the world, I'm lucky that I can still get drunk and harass women.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:19 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
By the way, I wouldn't cook any food over that pile of burning junk. It might make your food taste funny.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:18 AM
04badford
Lead Driver

at first I thought you were going to say , I pulled over to take a **** , ended up watering the Hot Wire , I’ll be pruning this winter , Cherry, Apple, plumb, and if I get my way the old peach , loved that tree but It’s Time , The Cherry Orchard down the street has a better score for smokin wood .
wait who has Snow on the ground already huh we’re still in the 90s

Last edited by 04badford; 09-28-2018 at 12:20 AM. Reason: adding
Old 09-28-2018, 12:29 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 04badford
wait who has Snow on the ground already huh we’re still in the 90s

He's in Canada. But I don't think that photo was from today. He probably took the picture during the winter.

I will refrain from telling everyone that Canada should be invaded, and annexed, as a U.S. Territory. Puerto Rico, Guam, Samoa, Virgin Islands, Canada. Has a ring to it.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
But then again, he could be far enough North that he has snow.....

Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
He's in Canada. But I don't think that photo was from today. He probably took the picture during the winter.
It was spring

I will refrain from telling everyone that Canada should be invaded, and annexed, as a U.S. Territory. Puerto Rico, Guam, Samoa, Virgin Islands, Canada. Has a ring to it.
You don't want Quebec besides all the snow there's still an active terrorist movement.

Quick Reply: BBQ