2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

On-Board Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:34 PM
try2paz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On-Board Air Compressor

Hi guys,
Looking at installing either:
Heavy Duty OBA | VIAIR Corporation

or the ARB https://www.stage3motorsports.com/CK...essor-Kit.html

Does anyone have any pictures of mount locations under the bed / route for wiring etc tied into the rocker switches?

Thank you!
Nate

Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 PM
miniwally
Junior User
I don't have any experience with the VIAIR stuff but do have quite a lot of ARB experience.

I just mounted the single ARB in my Tool box in the bed. I hooked up to Upfitter #6 as it is a 40 amp circuit and the single ARB pulls 34A at full load.

I ran a single 8ga wire from the underhood hookup, down the firewall with the factory harnesses, down the left frame rail and crossed over to the right frame rail with a wire harness that near the front of the fuel tank on my CCLB. From there I went down the frame rail to the front of the bed where I drilled the bed and tool box. I also ran an 8ga ground between the tool box and frame.

also have the AirLift wireless air II hooked up with an air solenoid between the ARB compressor and the AirLift stuff. It works well, I will probably only use the ARB as a compressor for tires and kids toys in emergencies but it's nice to have it.

The big ARB setup you linked is really nice, my family does a lot of offroad stuff (it's their business) and they have several vehicles with the twin ARBs. 100% duty cycle, pretty quick air up for normal sized tires etc. The down fall is they pull a full 68A at full load so the upfitter switches can only fire off a relay for the ARB. I would look at the ARB portable kits honestly, same compressor but with battery leads and you just keep it secure in the cab under the back seat until you need it.

Couple pictures of what I did.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM
fmf15e
New User
Firestone on-board system

I have a 2017 F-350 Platinum CCSB. I put a Firestone high capacity compressor mounted on it's side above the spare tire bracket. It is on the driver's side of the bracket and I had to fab a bracket to put the compressor at 90 degrees as it is too tall for the space. I put the two gallon tank just in front of the spare tire bracket. It again needed some mods to the mount so that it sits just above the spare when it is installed. The control unit is mounted on a plate on the passenger side of the spare tire bracket. It sends air to the air bags via a wireless controller. I also mounted the two relays next to the control unit. I ran a single 10 gauge wire from upfitter 6 inside 1/4 inch wire loom back to the harness. The battery power and ignition switched can be connected together since the upfitter controls this function.
I have not mounted the air quick disconnect yet. I was originally going to mount it in the bumper just below the spare tire lock but I thought someone might step on it. I just got a 6 inch aluminum door with a quick turn fastener that I may mount inside the bed on the opposite side (passenger) of the 5th wheel just inside the tailgate. I will fab a little box that will keep the quick disconnect clean and dry and access it from inside the bed. I will use aluminum pop rivets to hold it and the door as the bed is aluminum.
Next time I have it on the lift, I'll try to take some pictures.
Please reply with questions if this is not enough info.

Cheers
FM
2017 Platinum F350 CCSB 6.7
2011 Lariat F250 CCSB -sold
2008 Lariat F250 CCSB - sold

Old 03-28-2018, 02:15 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,162 Likes on 2,860 Posts
There's an aftermarket kit for the Raptor that includes lines to each wheel well. It uses an ARB compressor (dual) and comes with wiring. At $999 it's expensive. I suspect you could put together a DIY kit for less.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Los1024
New User
Thumbs up My Air System

I like the fact that your system is easily removable and very accessible for maintenance. I don't have a toolbox so I opted to squeeze my system between the frame and the rear bed panel. I made some aluminum brackets to hold the compressor and the air tank but it was tight! (What's not pictured is a sheet of plastic that's installed and seals the compressor and tank from road debris and such) Its a two-stage system with one train running the rear airbags and the other train running air that goes to my airbag for the 5th wheel hitch to raise and lower my 5th wheel on the fly..... I also ran a 1/2" line to the rear of the truck, to the inside of the bed just behind the rear tail lights and installed a quick disconnect for an airline when needed. its a pretty slick set up but maintenance is a little more involved than your set up..... Nice Job!

Old 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM
try2paz
Freshman User
Thanks for the tips.. I ended up ordering the vair onboard 350 heavy duty system. I also got the mounting bracket for the pump. My goal is to get everything mounted underneath and then run the air line disconnect to the back bumper. I’ll post pictures once I get it done.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM
zelinadc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My set up and pictures in the link below:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...has-begun.html

Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Bullfrogin83
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My setup so far

Painted to match (silver spruce)

The following 2 users liked this post by Bullfrogin83:
Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my setup, the Viair with an extra 5gal tank and air horns. The wiring isn't tidied up 100% yet and i have some of the plumbing missing in these photos. These were taken during the process and not when it was 100% completed, but it shows you how everything is mounted with my custom brackets.

I have the train horn on Aux 1 switch so when the switch is on when you push the stock horn on the steering wheel it blows the train horn, and when the switch is off, its just the regular horn.

I have the Viair dual gauge setup in the center console for my airbags, as well as manual Schrader valves in the back wheel wells as backup.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:11 PM
ninthwonder
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tucked a viar tank and compressor up above the spare tire. My air bag controller is up along the frame rail and I added a air chuck near the rear tow hitch

Old 09-23-2020, 09:51 PM
Bullfrogin83
New User
Originally Posted by Bullfrogin83

Painted to match (silver spruce)

Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM
comptechltd
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullfrogin83
Any more info on the bracket for mounting the tank? Aluminum or steel? Unfortunately I'm not a welder but that looks really nice.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:04 PM
Bullfrogin83
New User
Made it out of L shaped steel.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:08 PM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
I always thought it was frowned upon to drill holes in these new frames. I need to find a spot for my ARB single. On the fence about a tank. I had a tank and train horns on the Excursion. Anybody see a problem with mounting stuff to the cross member by the spare? I have the 5th wheel prep.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:46 PM
cpro24
Tuned
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11
Here are a couple pics of my setup, the Viair with an extra 5gal tank and air horns. The wiring isn't tidied up 100% yet and i have some of the plumbing missing in these photos. These were taken during the process and not when it was 100% completed, but it shows you how everything is mounted with my custom brackets.

I have the train horn on Aux 1 switch so when the switch is on when you push the stock horn on the steering wheel it blows the train horn, and when the switch is off, its just the regular horn.

I have the Viair dual gauge setup in the center console for my airbags, as well as manual Schrader valves in the back wheel wells as backup.

Great looking setup... awesome job on the brackets... It would not work for us in the snow and rust belt of the Northeast everything would be covered in salt by the end of winter though

Quick Reply: On-Board Air Compressor