2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Aftermarket transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Aftermarket transmission pan

Has anyone installed an aftermarket deep aluminum tranny pan with cooling fins like the Mag Hytec or BD diesel?
I’m wondering what kind of drop in transmission temperature can be expected with one of these. There has to be some drop in temp with the extra fluid capacity and the fins should help a little as well. Summertime is close and i’m hoping to bring my tranny temps down from high’s in the 240’s.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,589 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
I’m wondering what kind of drop in transmission temperature can be expected with one of these.

None.

There has to be some drop in temp with the extra fluid capacity
No, there does not. Extra fluid takes longer to heat up, but by the same logic once it does heat up it takes longer to cool down. So your gain is nothing at all.

and the fins should help a little as well. Summertime is close and i’m hoping to bring my tranny temps down from high’s in the 240’s.
If you could move the trans pan out to the grill where it would see cool air this might work a little. The air around the pan is HOT. The air off the coolers pass over it, and the exhaust is nearby. This isn't a good location to cool things.

There also isn't a great deal of fluid movement right at the inside pan surface, so it isn't a great conductor of heat. A cooler has flowing fluid and often turbulators in it to keep the fluid moving and transferring heat. A pan doesn't have that.

If you want to make the underside of your truck look pretty a pan is a good way to go. If you get one to cool the transmission you'll be greatly disappointed.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:53 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
None.

No, there does not. Extra fluid takes longer to heat up, but by the same logic once it does heat up it takes longer to cool down. So your gain is nothing at all.

If you could move the trans pan out to the grill where it would see cool air this might work a little. The air around the pan is HOT. The air off the coolers pass over it, and the exhaust is nearby. This isn't a good location to cool things.

There also isn't a great deal of fluid movement right at the inside pan surface, so it isn't a great conductor of heat. A cooler has flowing fluid and often turbulators in it to keep the fluid moving and transferring heat. A pan doesn't have that.

If you want to make the underside of your truck look pretty a pan is a good way to go. If you get one to cool the transmission you'll be greatly disappointed.
Mark, is it detrimental to see spikes to 245 degrees in the fluid? While towing on flat grades my tranny temps settle in between 218 to 228 degrees. While pulling a mountain grade, which I do often here in Colorado, my fluid temperature has spiked as high as 245 degrees but then starts to cool down after I crest the top. I have read that this temperature is not good for either the fluid or the transmission.
So, if I have an extra 4 to 6 quarts of fluid from a deep pan and the transmission fluid only spikes to, let’s say 235 degrees, wouldn’t that be better for the fluid and the transmission itself? Yes, it will take longer to cool down but it wouldn’t be reaching those temperatures that are not good from what I’ve read.
Yes, the pans look cool but you can’t even see them under the truck, so to me, it doesn’t matter what it looks like. I’m looking to protect my huge investment in my truck and a few hundred more $ would be worth it to me. I understand that there is a balance between final cost and how the average driver will use their truck when considering the development of a transmission.

Just wondering.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
If you want to add cooling capacity, then get an auxiliary or higher-capacity cooler. The trans pan as a cooler is more marketing than engineering.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM
RGPolo
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C12H24
If you want to add cooling capacity, then get an auxiliary or higher-capacity cooler. The trans pan as a cooler is more marketing than engineering.
I assumed the Superduty already had an auxiliary "Transmission Cooler"? My current F350 is "manual" trans, never gave it a thought until reading this post.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Originally Posted by RGPolo
I assumed the Superduty already had an auxiliary "Transmission Cooler"? My current F350 is "manual" trans, never gave it a thought until reading this post.
I have considered installing a stacked plate auxiliary cooler but a pan would be so much easier and reliable (fluid leaks) if it did indeed control a 10 degree spike while pulling a grade with 6 quarts of extra fluid. I have read a lot of real world tests that show these pans can actually reduce the fluid temperature by 10 degrees in this type of scenario and these are test by folks who are not affiliated with a pan manufacturer. According to what Mark said, it would appear that the tranny would take longer to heat up with more fluid.
The question is, are 245 degree spikes detrimental to this particular transmission? I have read that it is, as a general rule, so I would like to prevent those spikes. Is 220 sustained degrees bad for this transmission? Again this is normal towing temp on mine. I have never read anywhere on this forum where someone definitely knows, just opinions. I have read many times that running fluid temps of 220 degrees can cut the life of your transmission in half. It is well known by now that the new Super Duty’s run a lot hotter than previous generations but no talk on how the tranny has been redisigned to handle the higher temps.
There is one thread where someone went into limp mode pulling a grade from high temperatures when it wasn’t even a hot outside temperature. Many more have seen high “spikes” in tranny temps like I have, as well.
i’m not In the camp that if Ford designed it, it can handle it. There is always a balance in cost, durability, average consumer use and staying competitive by manufacturers and this is how aftermarket companies have thrived in many instances.
Although opinions are great sometimes, I’d love to hear if anyone on this forum has real world before and after temperature readings with installing one of these pans.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have considered installing a stacked plate auxiliary cooler but a pan would be so much easier and reliable (fluid leaks) if it did indeed control a 10 degree spike while pulling a grade with 6 quarts of extra fluid. I have read a lot of real world tests that show these pans can actually reduce the fluid temperature by 10 degrees in this type of scenario and these are test by folks who are not affiliated with a pan manufacturer. According to what Mark said, it would appear that the tranny would take longer to heat up with more fluid.
The question is, are 245 degree spikes detrimental to this particular transmission? I have read that it is, as a general rule, so I would like to prevent those spikes. Is 220 sustained degrees bad for this transmission? Again this is normal towing temp on mine. I have never read anywhere on this forum where someone definitely knows, just opinions. I have read many times that running fluid temps of 220 degrees can cut the life of your transmission in half. It is well known by now that the new Super Duty’s run a lot hotter than previous generations but no talk on how the tranny has been redisigned to handle the higher temps.
There is one thread where someone went into limp mode pulling a grade from high temperatures when it wasn’t even a hot outside temperature. Many more have seen high “spikes” in tranny temps like I have, as well.
i’m not In the camp that if Ford designed it, it can handle it. There is always a balance in cost, durability, average consumer use and staying competitive by manufacturers and this is how aftermarket companies have thrived in many instances.
Although opinions are great sometimes, I’d love to hear if anyone on this forum has real world before and after temperature readings with installing one of these pans.
Here is a good thread on Transmission temperatures. It should give you a better Idea of what would help you out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rans-temp.html

Old 03-10-2018, 03:21 PM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unlike the haters on here I have installed aftermarket trans pans and seeing average a 15-30* drop in temps. Yes you get about 4 more quarts of fluid but the difference comes from the raw cast aluminum case which allows the heat to exchange much faster.

I am not for altering or changing things but this is a useful modification.

Do NOT install a painted/coated/altered pan as the paint or coating does not allow for heat to escape. Raw cast aluminum only.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Guess they didn't read Mark's credentials.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:03 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
I'm going to order the Mag Hytec pan and give it a try. I'll report back in a few months to let you all know what kind of temperature reductions (if any) that I see.
Does anyone have any idea how many quarts of fluid I'll need for a refill when I drop the factory pan? I know I'll need an extra 5 quarts for this pan.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 AM
bitNine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, those temps are baffling. Just got back from a trip from Denver to Grand Junction in my Ram), pulling 11k. Max Transmission temp was 175 degrees, and that was heading east from Silverthorne to the tunnel. I know these Fords are supposed to run hotter, but 245 degrees seems so high.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Could just be lame temp sensors. Anyone IR temped the pan? I'd expect the fluid inside to be at least 20 hotter than the pan.

240 doesn't worry me one bit. Especially since everyone is seeing it. If I was the only guy at 240+, and ya'll were at 177............

Old 04-06-2018, 12:11 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
............ If you get one to cool the transmission you'll be greatly disappointed.
Mark given your chosen niche in your profession, I have a question for you.

I live in cold climates and I do what I call the "Fairbanks" treatment to all of my vehicles. Meaning block heater, oil pan heater, battery blanket/heater. I use a 150W stick-on heating pad on the oil pan. Here is my question: would another 150W heating pad on the bottom of the transmission pan be worth the effort? Since the pan holds a small quantity of the entire capacity of the transmission. This is in reference to the auto trans behind the 6.7.