Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HVAC Blower Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC Blower Speed

Ok so i no longer have my stock OEM Blower motor. It went out a while back and i replaced it with a new one from the auto parts store.

So it seems its not very strong and ive read a bit of others having the same issue.

If 1 is the lowest speed and 4 being the highest, i can hear the fan change speed from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 but when cycling the switch from 3 to 4 it sounds the exact same. It also feels the same not much more volume or pressure.

I looked at the actuator behind the glove box and its functioning properly.
Condenser is recently cleaned and is in good shape.

Wondering if it could be in the control on the dash, or in the motor, or what.

Not too good with that kinda electrical.

I need to get this addressed, summer is getting close and we will be using the truck for weekend activities.
I do not want to hear whining if you know what i mean.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
There is a resistor mounted right next to the blower motor. When it goes bad you lose speeds

here's a video that shows where it's located

Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
This is an odd one...usually when that resister goes south all you get is high speed but it is certainly on the list of things to check.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Paul

Im with Mark i thought when the resistor went bad you would only get high speed.

Anything is possible though. I thought i replaced the resistor when i cleaned the evap core last august. I will have to look.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:27 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
have had a strange issue with old green. lost the 3rd fan speed a while back.

the blower motor had died completely and replaced it with one from oh-rye-lees. not to long after that, the 3rd speed disappeared. replaced the resistor thinking that was the problem, but it did not fix the problem.

sucks, cuz that was the setting that got used 99% of the time. so, it's with the switch on the dash or the actual blower motor itself.

have been looking for an upgraded version of the blower motor, but haven't found one yet.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
David
sounds like were having the same issue. Just in different speeds.
I too replaced the blower motor and it did not seem up to snuff with the stock unit that crapped out.

Wondering if i should go back with oem but hate chasing these things around throwing money at parts.

Also noticed im geting a small amount of ac blowing out of the floor vents too.
Should not matter with hearing the fan change speeds but that said im loosing cfm in the dash vents with the small amount blowing out the floor too.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
David
sounds like were having the same issue. Just in different speeds.
I too replaced the blower motor and it did not seem up to snuff with the stock unit that crapped out.

Wondering if i should go back with oem but hate chasing these things around throwing money at parts.

Also noticed im geting a small amount of ac blowing out of the floor vents too.
Should not matter with hearing the fan change speeds but that said im loosing cfm in the dash vents with the small amount blowing out the floor too.

sound like you have a vacuum leak so the blend door is not moving over completely. when i installed the ranger valve, I replaced almost all the lines just because

years ago, companies would make "commercial" blowers that were twice as strong as the factory one. have not seen these in year though. figure if i ever do switch it out, i want something that will push more air.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
My belief on how the fans work is this...and I may have the wrong idea...fan works on high and there is a different resistor for each lower speed. Without resistor and direct connection fan runs on high. Add a resistor, which consumes some power and the fan slows, bigger resistor, fan slows more. If you replaced the resistor and are having speed issues I would look at the dash switch next. The resistors that I have seen crack me up as all they are is coils that look like springs of different sizes on the back of that little card. Oh, and they have to be in the line of air flow to keep them cool or they'll burn out.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
David
if you find a better blower like you mentioned please share.

As for the vacuum leak i watched the actuator rod controlling the door behind the glove box. It seems to be working, actuating up and down.
I may be opening a entire can of worms there. Chasing a vacuum leak dose not sound like fun

Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
you know, a while back i had two 12v fans mounted in each corner of the rear of the cab. took them out a while back when things changed. maybe it is time to put them back in. it was 90* already over the weekend and summer is coming fast

Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, here is a different thing to check.

When I recently replaced the rear blower motor (same part as the front), I installed it and it was wired BACKWARDS, spinning the wrong direction.

It still moved air, but no where near as much as it did when I reversed the wires (pulled out of the pigtail and switched them).

Make sure about it before doing too much other wiring