1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

In-dash A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I'd like a fresh air system with a filter and the recirc option.
Vintage Air sells a "complete" system without the pulleys and brackets. Those pieces can be hard to find. I urge anyone contemplating this addition to scrounge all the pieces from the relevant engine and to take photos before removing them, like I ... did not do.
Eric

Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I'd like a fresh air system with a filter and the recirc option.
Vintage Air sells a "complete" system without the pulleys and brackets. Those pieces can be hard to find. I urge anyone contemplating this addition to scrounge all the pieces from the relevant engine and to take photos before removing them, like I ... did not do.
Eric
Personally the compressor setup is the least of the issues. I'm very good at engineering mounts, the only thing I need is the engine pulleys to match the engine. I actually have a bunch around the shop but I haven't got to that point yet. I would think finding them used is gonna be a crap shoot.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Crocostimpy
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a Vintage Air kit for my 64. I'm just about done with disassembly of the old components. I too would prefer a "factory air" look. My truck doesn't have a radio, but I haven't decided if I want to cut into the dash to mount the center vents. I would really like to mount the left and right vents in the dash where the kick panel vent controls are, but I can't do the welding or bodywork myself. So maybe at a later date.

I do think that I can mount the 3 **** controls in the dash where the choke, heater, and in my case blank hole are. I did a preliminary check and it looks like there is enough room behind the dash to mount them. Won't know for sure though until I try them. I don't know yet what I would do for bezels yet either.

Yes the vents that come with the VA kits are pretty plain looking, but they have nicer vents available too. As do other A/C suppliers and street rod parts manufacturers. I've seen some angled housings that could mount on the bottom part of the dash and point the vents upward. That would still require cutting holes in the dash but not on the face.

I still have a lot of research to do to figure out how I'm going to tackle it.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Nordi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur
I had no problem cutting my dash. I really dislike the look of those under dash Louvers. I chose the vintage air system and chose my own components using only their 66 f series condenser kit...pieced the remainder. Installed the controls where the radio used to be. I'll post pics when I get home later.
resonateur, what kit did you buy? is that the Gen IV from the surefit kit, or a different box? I really like the way your install looks. My 64 doesn't have a factory radio either and I was going to put one in. This however looks much nicer, and I agree, I don't like that looks of the under dash vents. What was the cost of your kit and roughly about how much total with your misc. pieces? I was looking at buying a Gen IV SureFit kit minus compressor and I was quoted $1245 for that since I'll be running a different compressor.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2018, 04:42 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Nordi:
I would have to dig out all my receipts to figure the total cost but, suffice to say, it will be more expensive to buy the components than a ready-made kit. However, a "custom" install is what I was after. The only "kit" I bought from Vintage Air was their 1966Ford F-100 condenser kit with drier. I didn't use the entire kit, because I mounted the drier under the battery box rather than under the inner fender. I didn't want to run the hoses under the fender and then out again to the firewall. I did use their condenser mounts and the modification to the hood pull, which was convenient. I got a ComPac Gen II unit because it was the largest that I could fit under the dash, behind the glovebox. We made a bracket/cradle so that the AC hoses were pre-connected to a bulkhead fitting and the whole unit mounts to the firewall through the original holes, with two additional supporting tabs under the glovebox door. Pre-connected the heater hoses to a bulkhead fitting as well, so all other connections can be made from the engine side. Got the Sanden compressor from Vintage Air as well as the deluxe control panel that you see....and about two years ago, snagged a really nice FE/Sanden compressor mount kit with an idler pulley. All the brackets were 3/16" steel plate and I got it for a fraction of the original cost....no longer available from the manufacturer, but a nice set up.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Nordi
New User
Resonateur,

THANK YOU for all the info! I had a feeling it was a Gen 2 System by the controls you used. Once again, very nice install. I can appreciate you being so meticulous because I am the same. I’m going to be using a full Explorer GT40P engine with the FS10 compressor. I called Vintage Air and they said it will work fine with the system and they sell an adapter block for the compressor to convert to Sanden type lines. Looks like I’ll be piecing a system together too!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:16 AM
RacerJames
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nordi,
With your FS10 compressor, you might consider adapting the Crown Vic system to your truck similar to what these guys are doing:
1964-viccup-build
May be a cost savings, maybe not. Worth a look though - Crown Vics have inexpensive, reliable systems and can be found in every wrecking yard everywhere.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Freedom8675
New User
I install a ventageair system, blower fan blows harder when accelerating. Does anyone know why? Would think it should be same at idle or accelerating

Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might check your Alt output at idle and again at off idle. Also make sure your wire size is large enough to the AC system.