1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

In-dash A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:42 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
In-dash A/C

I've installed a couple hundred aftermarket A/C units in my day, and never really saw one I liked. And now that I'm gearing up to do the '66 I've been looking around and there is still nobody that makes a unit I like.

So I've been toying with the idea of making my own Heat/AC box that will draw outside air and be blend-able with the 3 functions.

My question to you boys is, would you prefer under-dash vents, (done properly), so there was no dash cutting, or in-dash?

Normally I wouldn't want to cut the dash, but I actually have 2 perfect dash boards. And although it would be a bitch to change one, I could do it if I had to.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I believe this would be your personal preference. If you plan on mass producing the unit, you'll have to make it appealing to all, the simpler the better. No one wants to cut up a dash. Let's see what your planning.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM
53deere
Fleet Mechanic
Received 283 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
I believe this would be your personal preference. If you plan on mass producing the unit, you'll have to make it appealing to all, the simpler the better. No one wants to cut up a dash. Let's see what your planning.
I agree, no dash cutting. I'll either make or buy a unit when I get to that point in my build but I wouldn't consider cutting holes in the dash.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 53deere
I agree, no dash cutting. I'll either make or buy a unit when I get to that point in my build but I wouldn't consider cutting holes in the dash.
I was figuring I could use 2 single and a double @ midship 1"x4" rectangular vents tight up against the bottom of the dash. I would like to make all the ducts hard, instead of the flex hose they usually do. That will probably be the hardest to fabricate.

I think I already figured out the box setup. Should be able to blend hot and cold, as well as divert and mix any combination of floor,dash and defrost.

And I think I can use outside air as well as a recirculating function for max-air.

I'll go with a ccot system to make temp control simpler.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:24 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ventage Air company. Excellent setup. Does what you are talking about AND they will work with you to set it up the way YOU want it. They make a unit that is designed just for your year year truck.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
Ventage Air company. Excellent setup. Does what you are talking about AND they will work with you to set it up the way YOU want it. They make a unit that is designed just for your year year truck.
They have the blower intake in the cab like most of the aftermarket units, so they are noisy and you have no fresh air function. And I'm not crazy about the flexible duct or the cheap looking vent assy's.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:40 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember reading an article a few years back where a guy transplanted a air conditioning unit from a Ford F-150. I think that's what it was.
If I remember correctly, he said it fit ok but it was a pain in the butt to get to parts of the motor on that side.
I do agree that the cab mounted units can be a little loud in the cab but I do believe they talked about being able to get fresh air with their systems.
Course I'm an old fart and most likely have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
I remember reading an article a few years back where a guy transplanted a air conditioning unit from a Ford F-150. I think that's what it was.
If I remember correctly, he said it fit ok but it was a pain in the butt to get to parts of the motor on that side.
I do agree that the cab mounted units can be a little loud in the cab but I do believe they talked about being able to get fresh air with their systems.
Course I'm an old fart and most likely have no idea what I'm talking about.
If you look at their best system it has an open blower wheel in the cab, so no fresh air for you.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:13 AM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by EricJ
If you look at their best system it has an open blower wheel in the cab, so no fresh air for you.

My truck has the Deluxe heater which includes a fresh air duct. Although mine is not, it seems to me it could be adapted to the a/c as well. Or mimicked if you have the standard heater.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
My '66 has the fresh air heater. I've thought about putting in a flapper assembly in the flex boot so it can be run in a recirc mode. I would think that you could adapt the fresh air heater supply opening to the ac system intake

Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I had no problem cutting my dash. I really dislike the look of those under dash Louvers. I chose the vintage air system and chose my own components using only their 66 f series condenser kit...pieced the remainder. Installed the controls where the radio used to be. I'll post pics when I get home later.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:36 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Here is the installation of the three louvers and under dash unit behind the glove box. There is plenty of room to work on the ducting, although the bracketry and bulkhead connector for the heater and ac hoses going through the firewall

was a little tight.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by john jamieson
My '66 has the fresh air heater. I've thought about putting in a flapper assembly in the flex boot so it can be run in a recirc mode. I would think that you could adapt the fresh air heater supply opening to the ac system intake
Ya, that is the plan, and if there is enough room after stuffing a heater core and an evaporator under there I could divert the intake for "max air" however in my case, Max is not needed, I live on Cape Cod, we don't get the heat the boys in the south get.

Resonateur, nice looking install. Is it done yet? Just curious how loud it is with the intake inside?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
....the truck’s not up and running yet!

Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by resonateur
....the truck’s not up and running yet!
that's a common ailment around here.