BIG shocks thread. ($1000+ each) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

BIG shocks thread. ($1000+ each)

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Lets face it. With a 2" leveling kit, or a 4" lift, we have plenty of clearance for decent tires. And the 2" kit retains all of the trucks capability, assuming you keep it level or better with loads. But we don't have much travel to damp large hits. If you only have a few inches to soak up bumps, you need one heck of a good shock to do so. Enter the big bore shocks thread.

Post your setup. Post your dream setup. Post your buddies setup. Bonus points for pics/links. Good shocks ain't just for Raptors.

I'm thinking of leveling the truck with a BDS/fox 2.0 kit. Or do my own thing and level the truck with every part hand picked ala cart. Carli trac bar, Carli or BDS caster bushings, longer sway bar links, and here's where I'm at:

Front
King Coil Over 3.0 (yeah 3.0" piston)
+compression adjuster
+remote reservoir
+3.0 upgrade
Custom springs. Custom HD tune. Primary purpose: red dirt roads.

$2400 a pair. 2006 + Ford F250/F350 Super Duty King Coilover Conversion OEM Upgrade Kit - $1,564.95 w/ Free Shipping!

Rear
King 3.0 Triple bypass shocks
$2000 a pair.
King 3.0 Bypass Shocks - Starting at $909.95 w/ Custom Valving!

And then to top it off:
Custom Deaver rear springs, 3", with less load capacity than the regular F250 springs. But the rear spring on my F250, aren't exactly firm or harsh. More so than a 150 for sure, but maybe I'll save the Deaver's for a later date.
$1200.

I can return more spring with airbags and Daystar cradles, as needed. A 3" Deaver would be nice to get rid of the factory blocks, but then I'd have to fab a mount for the air bags, but that's not a big deal. A couple steel blocks from a machine shop on top of the Deavers to mount the air bag cradle.

Also note that a Carli Pintop 2.5 non-adjustable kit similar to above is $5100. But the above parts allow for adjustable front ride ht and adjustable damping. About $6000 for the above. How much more than $38,000 is a Powerwagon again?

Budget? How about 4 triple bypass 3.0 King shocks, and a simple BDS 2" leveling kit?

Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 PM
Tricon
Posting Guru
Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dream would be these on all 4 corners. Custom 4-link up front and in the rear. Gusset on the axles. Some Carli Springs/track bar/sway drop. Remove the bumps and put in bump cans. Then go huck it.

They aren't that bad at $2200 a piece. Fox 4.4 Quad Bypass. Would have to fab some buckets for them though.

Or the Bilstein BlackHawks, they're a bargain @ $3k a piece lol.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, I don't feel so bad about $1000 shocks anymore.

In other news, noone seems to sell Carli al a carte on the internet. I'll have to call Carli direct and see if they offer a leveling kit without shocks.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM
Tricon
Posting Guru
Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Tricon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
Well, I don't feel so bad about $1000 shocks anymore.

In other news, noone seems to sell Carli al a carte on the internet. I'll have to call Carli direct and see if they offer a leveling kit without shocks.
Wut. Everyone sells em. CJCOffroad, DieselPerformance, 8lug. Thats how I did mine, Bought the coils, bump drops, sway drop, and caster cams online from the above. RL Track bar bracket for $100 on amazon because Carli hadnt released theirs yet. Then got some Fox Factory Edition 2.5's and valved them for my axle weights.

http://www.8lugtruckgear.com/Coils-Leaf-Springs-c257/

Old 02-14-2018, 04:15 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
MadeInDade is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll be getting a 2019 6.2L gasser and have struggled to find a good leveling solution. I wanted to go with the 2.5" Carli Pintop kit, but since that's made for the diesel, I don't want to end up with more than 2.5" of lift and have *** sag.

The only lift coil I could find for a gasser that I don't think will give me more than 2.5" of lift up front is a Rough Country 1.5" coil, and that doesn't really excite me.

So right now, I'm looking at King OEM Coilovers from Filthy Motorsports which will allow me to get the exact amount of lift up front that I want and pair them with King 2.5 shocks front and rear with a nice street tune. That should run me $3,065 which is cheaper than the Carli Pintop.

I'd also throw in a King 2.0 steering stabilizer from Filthy for $230 as I plan on running 37's.

I would probably go back to Carli for miscellaneous parts like the track bar, caster shims, sway bar drop bracket, brake lines, etc.

My last consideration is a Deaver leaf spring upgrade. $1,200 from Filthy with a 0" lift or maybe just the Carli Add-A-Packs for $865 which give a 0.5" lift in the rear.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:18 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
The add a packs are way too close to the cost of the Deavers.

I'm also looking at the 2.5 coil overs. Trying to find a 2.5 vs 3.0 thread. The only thing that stinks about the coil overs is that you have to hack up the top bucket on the frame. I'm also not sure that a 2" spring is any better than a 2" puck. It's not like we're gaining any travel, or going into coil bind with OEM springs. Then again, if the Carli front springs are too much for my gas truck, I just add an inch to the Deavers. Keep in mind, with the coil overs, the bigger the shock, the more you can rely on the shock over bumps, and the less on springs. You might be able to get away with a softer spring.

Found the parts on 8 lug. Thanks. Had to search by part name, not part #. The Carli 2.5" kit without the shocks is $725. $1175 when I added the trac bar.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:22 AM
MadeInDade
Senior User
MadeInDade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
The add a packs are way too close to the cost of the Deavers.
According to Carli, the Add-A-Packs are Deavers. The benefit is a better ride without loss of load capacity (I don't want to add airbags).

Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 AM
legacy91
Freshman User
legacy91 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 14 raptor I had Fox 3.0's DSC, 3.0 triple bypass with QAB, Deavers and a SVC Gen 2 Bump kit.

I uninstalled my deavers by myself which are very heavy. So if a guy was doing this in the driveway I could see the add a pack being much easier to install.

For my new truck im thinking keep it simple with fox 2.5's. For now lol

Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 AM
honda250xtitan
Senior User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just fox or King 2.5's all around. But the rear would be a cantilever kit..that would be baller.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM
New User
0835064 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You owe it too yourself to ride in a Carli Pintop truck with full deavers. ESP if youre mostly on unimproved roads. Itís amazing what those 2.5 Kings can do with good tuning!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Dockmaster1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I can't speak to the King, Fox or Bilstein shocks other than the obvious stellar reputation of all 3 on these. I have the Fabtech 6" radius arm lift with their 2.5" Dirt Logic remote reservoir shocks. I'm sure the Dirt Logic are not nearly the same caliber as the others you mention but are also quite a bit cheaper. All I can add is I am really happy with mine. The truck rides fantastic both on pavement and dirt. My previous rig was a 2002 F350 with leveling kit and the ride of my new truck is not even comparable. I only have 7,800 miles on the truck so I can't offer much in how long the Dirt Logic's will last. There are forums online that claim the Dirt Logic is made by Fox but I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Turbo Dog
Posting Guru
Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a very good reputation on FTE.

What's the deal with the Carli website? Everytime a new page opens my McAfee virus software detects something.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:11 PM
CopterPilot
Senior User
CopterPilot is starting off with a positive reputation.
This past week I had a customized Carli Leveling Kit installed at CJC Offroad. I went with everything that the Pintop kit includes but I wanted adjustable shocks. Enter Fox 2.5 with DSC adjusters custom valved from Accutune OffRoad. The ride is fantastic.

I haven't put it through all scenarios yet but I have it dialed in on the crappy So Cal freeways for now. The ride is plush and controlled.

I haven't driven my commuter car to work once this week because this truck is truly amazing to drive now.

I'll be towing with the truck in a couple weeks so I will crank up the adjusters in the rear when hooked up.

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Tricon
Posting Guru
Thats a great setup!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Tricon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 0835064 View Post
[left]You owe it too yourself to ride in a Carli Pintop truck with full deavers. ESP if youre mostly on unimproved roads. Itís amazing what those 2.5 Kings can do with good tuning!
I would love to have the full deaver pack in the back, that's really the best ride upgrade you can do. I just didn't want to turn my payload into a half ton truck. I need to tow with this beast. Yes, you can add bags, but bags don't add anything to your payload, they just level your truck out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BIG shocks thread. ($1000+ each)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.