Oil cooler to do list - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil cooler to do list

Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Posting Guru

hwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to all
Oil cooler to do list

I just had a major oil cooler rupture and the funny thing about this, is that after driving around for 30 minutes in town, is that my delta's never went pass 8*. But.. I know that I'm playing with fire because I'm dumping oil into the coolant system and the Ex still had it's get up and go. My plan is to install a external oil cooler, coolant filter and delete the Egr with IPR stuff. I will change the STC, update the turbo drain, Warren standpipes, dummies, KC turbo blade/with clean and maybe the bulletproof water pump kit with a new belt. Besides gaskets, is there anything I'm missing? I believe I need to have my ficm fixed, and Ed will cover me there. I'm thinking of replacing all glow plugs and everything related to the coolant system, which includes hoses and degas bottle.. 05 late build.. thanks guys and does it make sense to do a coolant flush just to clean it up some?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Senior User

SmackDaddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SmackDaddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man that is almost enough to make me add a remote oil cooler...
I did the 7.3 fan clutch mod with the BPD fan clutch adapter and it helped cool my truck down much better than the electric 6.0 clutch. I also found an all aluminum Mishimoto radiator for less than $400 to get the plastic one out of there...
Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Junior User

ajsemtb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwybee22 View Post
I just had a major oil cooler rupture and the funny thing about this, is that after driving around for 30 minutes in town, is that my delta's never went pass 8*. But.. I know that I'm playing with fire because I'm dumping oil into the coolant system and the Ex still had it's get up and go. My plan is to install a external oil cooler, coolant filter and delete the Egr with IPR stuff. I will change the STC, update the turbo drain, Warren standpipes, dummies, KC turbo blade/with clean and maybe the bulletproof water pump kit with a new belt. Besides gaskets, is there anything I'm missing? I believe I need to have my ficm fixed, and Ed will cover me there. I'm thinking of replacing all glow plugs and everything related to the coolant system, which includes hoses and degas bottle.. 05 late build.. thanks guys and does it make sense to do a coolant flush just to clean it up some?
in regards to changing out all the heater hoses and so forth, I second the mishimoto aluminum radiator. I got mine off of Amazon for the same cost as the Ford factory one would have cost with the plastic end caps. Here's what I learned after doing mine, if it all possible drop your lower radiator hose and flush out only the radiator independent of the cooling system first. Then disconnect both sides of your heater core and flush that sucker forwards and backwards independent of the system. Do that before you flush the entire system, because those are the two low points where all the slag ends up. I didn't do that and instead started changing out parts and replaced everything except for the heater core, and before my Delta's were never over 9 and afterwards my Delta's were 25. And prior to this I was already running a Sinister coolant filter. I am confident that I clogged up my oil cooler from slag and debris in the heater core or in the bottom of the radiator by doing a flush before replacing the parts. Or take it a step further and go ahead and replace the heater core. Once you have all those hoses already off it doesn't look that complicated to go ahead and take that off also, I just personally ran out of time and had the button it back up due to work. And because of that I'm getting ready to have to flush out all my expensive cat ELC coolant that I just put in there, replace my oil cooler, and do a whole lot of things to my engine that I was hoping not to have to do for a long time by being proactive and doing preventive maintenance first. I guess I failed there.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 PM
New User

Chin Chilla is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Man that is almost enough to make me add a remote oil cooler...
I did the 7.3 fan clutch mod with the BPD fan clutch adapter and it helped cool my truck down much better than the electric 6.0 clutch. I also found an all aluminum Mishimoto radiator for less than $400 to get the plastic one out of there...
I just posted pics of my own remote oil cooler and adapter plate. Take a look!!!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 PM
Senior User

jlillie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jlillie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC.
I've been running the IPR coolant filter for over 2 years and works very well with no leaks but recently I saw a disturbing vid on IPR and their delete. If you look through his vids he's also got some strong opinions on the IPR remote oil cooler. I'm not sure what to think about it but here it is....

Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 AM
Senior User

texinwa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Give up on it. Better off in the long run.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Posting Guru

hwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by texinwa View Post
Give up on it. Better off in the long run.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm still on the positive.