2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lets Talk Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ERAUGrad04
Tricon-

How have you been liking the 2.5 FOXs with DSC? Those are the ones I am eyeing as I really like the ability to adjust the shocks based on conditions (towing, daily driving, etc.). My previous vehicle was a Jeep and it was setup with a King Coilover and triple bypass shock on each corner. It was great being able to adjust the shocks one day to bomb through Death Valley and then another day to crawl through Moab.

Where did you order from?

Thanks!
Check in with the Accutune Offroad guys. They will take front and rear axle weights for your truck and custom tune shocks for exactly the ride you want. All that for the same price you can get the off the shelf versions.

Absolutely love the the 2.5s and the adjustability is clutch when towing.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Check in with the Accutune Offroad guys. They will take front and rear axle weights for your truck and custom tune shocks for exactly the ride you want. All that for the same price you can get the off the shelf versions.

Absolutely love the the 2.5s and the adjustability is clutch when towing.
can you use the F350 2.5 on a stock height ‘18 F350?
Are they as easily adjustable as the Rancho 9000xl’s?

Old 02-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Larrymac52

can you use the F350 2.5 on a stock height ‘18 F350?
Are they as easily adjustable as the Rancho 9000xl’s?
yes you definitely can use them on stock height. The adjusters are actually easier on the 2.5s because it's on the end of the reservoir and not way down on the shock body. It's a much more high tech adjuster if you go the DSC route as you can adjust both high speed and low speed. Make em soft for speed bumps and hard for wash board. It's a completely different class of shock to the rancho. Like not even the same ball park.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM
mikemorales
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes you definitely can use them on stock height. The adjusters are actually easier on the 2.5s because it's on the end of the reservoir and not way down on the shock body. It's a much more high tech adjuster if you go the DSC route as you can adjust both high speed and low speed. Make em soft for speed bumps and hard for wash board. It's a completely different class of shock to the rancho. Like not even the same ball park.
who would you recommend is the best seller price wise for a set for use with a stock setup? Curious to look further into this.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mikemorales

who would you recommend is the best seller price wise for a set for use with a stock setup? Curious to look further into this.
If you want a custom tune I don't think you can do better than AccutuneOffroad.com

If you just want the OEM Fox tune (it's damn good from the factory!) I would just look up the part numbers on ridefox.com and get them off Amazon/eBay at the lowest price.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:40 PM
SD_STIGG
Junior User
I do a lot of fast desert stuff both here in SoCal and down in Baja.

Nothing better than doing 60-70mph on a washboard road and still being able to hold a coversation

Bilsteins are sort of middle of the road. I like their firmness, others have said they are too harsh which to me sounds like they want a mushy ride. Rancho's I would avoid like the plague. I've never had a Rancho shock I liked. They are mass market junk imo.

Fox or Kings are what I would spend my money on. They are rebuildable, revalve-able, and both have top notch components. The Fox's have twice the hardness in their shafts, which in my experience is what kills shocks. Pit the shaft and you're gonna have seal issues in no time flat. Harder shaft = less chance of pitting. They also have twice the sheer strength, but meh, only time I've seen a shock sheer... that was the last thing they were worried about since the rest of the truck looked like swiss cheese.

Not to get off topic here but I notice your Fox 2.5's don't have spherical rod bearings in the end like my King's do. Just assumed both Fox and King use similar attachment types on their larger platforms.
But as Tricon has said the shafts and possibility to rebuild are key items, shafts you can protect with boots but any nicks on a chrome shaft and you're replacing them. Rebuild-able ones are nice if you're picky, and want the ability to have a specific ride as its easy to call up a shock builder and have them either rebuild the shock to your spec or they can recommend shim changes and you can pull them apart and swap shim stacks. Lower range shocks are all aluminum body, the higher end you go you get steel bodies which last longer but not needed unless you're really beating on the shock all the time.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
so what does DSC mean?

I would say that 85-90% of my F350 usage will be on the highway with the other 15% will be off road in a cattle pasture.

Within a year I should have a 36’ 13.5k fifth wheel wheel.
i would say that would probably account for 20% of the 85% Highway usage.
The F350 is stock height with 18” wheels. I am very keen on having as comfortable ride as possible unloaded and be able to adjust it later when we get the fifth wheel.
What model of the 2.5’s would I be expected to install on my truck?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
SD_STIGG
Junior User

so what does DSC mean?

I would say that 85-90% of my F350 usage will be on the highway with the other 15% will be off road in a cattle pasture.

Within a year I should have a 36’ 13.5 fifth wheel wheel.
i would say that would probably account for 20% of the 85% Highway usage.
The F350 is stock height with 18” wheels. I am very keen on having as comfortable ride as possible unloaded and be able to adjust it later when we get the fifth wheel.
What model of the 2.5’s would I be expected to install on my truck?

Fox's term for Dual Speed Compression adjuster

Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SD_STIGG
Fox's term for Dual Speed Compression adjuster
a rookie to SD trucks still doesn’t know what that means?

Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM
SD_STIGG
Junior User

a rookie to SD trucks still doesn’t know what that means?
So with out going into too many details it allows you to adjust how the shock controls compression or how quick the shock can compress either for large or small bumps (slow or high speed respectively). If you don't understand how to adjust shocks and don't want to deal with learning it I highly recommend not getting adjustable shocks. Adjustable shocks are good for those who want the best setting for what every they are doing that day, or has more free time than someone should and wants to play with dials. I personally spend enough time tuning dirt bike and mountain bike shocks that all I want to do is get in my truck and drive with out having something to tinker with. You can google how to setup off road shocks and spend days reading how to properly set up a shock for a given surface type.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SD_STIGG
So with out going into too many details it allows you to adjust how the shock controls compression or how quick the shock can compress either for large or small bumps (slow or high speed respectively). If you don't understand how to adjust shocks and don't want to deal with learning it I highly recommend not getting adjustable shocks. Adjustable shocks are good for those who want the best setting for what every they are doing that day, or has more free time than someone should and wants to play with dials. I personally spend enough time tuning dirt bike and mountain bike shocks that all I want to do is get in my truck and drive with out having something to tinker with. You can google how to setup off road shocks and spend days reading how to properly set up a shock for a given surface type.
I primarily want a shock to give me the best ride unloaded mostly for the highway, but be able to adjust it when I eventually tow a fifth wheel. I seriously doubt I would adjust it any more than that. So is this the wrong shock for my needs?

Old 02-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I primarily want a shock to give me the best ride unloaded mostly for the highway, but be able to adjust it when I eventually tow a fifth wheel. I seriously doubt I would adjust it any more than that. So is this the wrong shock for my needs?
You definitely don't need a 2.5, you might be perfectly happy with a Rancho 9000. They are cheap enough that you can't go that wrong with them.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with a Fox 2.0 with a reservoir up front and a reservoir with an adjuster in the rear. Order them from Accutune and tell the you want a softer ride and what you're using it for. They'll model out the valving, build them and ship them out and you won't have to tinker at all. Just crank the adjusters up when you're towing and back down when you're unloaded. Best of both worlds and not that expensive comparatively speaking.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
86paGT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my OEM “Ranchos” with some RS9000s and only have about 50mi on them so far. I’m happy with the ride difference and would do it again. I have the front at 5 and rear at 3

Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for the Rancho 9000XLs. I specifically bought them so I could turn them up when hauling my fifth wheel and remove some of the "bounce". Mission accomplished! I've been on them for about 10,000. They ride great when the truck is empty and with the fifth wheel on board.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM
86paGT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cabindweller
Another vote for the Rancho 9000XLs. I specifically bought them so I could turn them up when hauling my fifth wheel and remove some of the "bounce". Mission accomplished! I've been on them for about 10,000. They ride great when the truck is empty and with the fifth wheel on board.
what settings are you using with no load? I started at 5/3 but haven’t driven enough to see where the sweet spot is.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Shocks