Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Lets Talk Shocks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527990-lets-talk-shocks.html)

FOURBYBUD 02-12-2018 09:13 AM

Lets Talk Shocks

2017 F350 CCSB 6.7 FX4. Looking to replace my factory Rancho shocks with a better set. Does not need to be anything fancy, just a good quality replacement. No lift or level kit.

Buliwyf 02-12-2018 10:02 AM

Bilstein 4600 or 5100.

Seastacker 02-12-2018 10:07 AM

I think you will find the ones that are discussed the most here are:
- Rancho XL 9000
- Fox 2.0
- Bilstein (as mentioned prev)

I think all are good options for OEM replacement.

Buliwyf 02-12-2018 10:14 AM

Are the Fox 2.0's an immersion shock? Or is there a piston sealed between the oil and nitrogen?

Mack3006 02-12-2018 10:43 AM

I had bil-5100’s on my 2010 f150 xlt.
it was a heavy truck, super crew, long box, 20” ford wheels, 10ply 34” tires, 36 gal tank, tool box. HD frame. It was 6800lbs.
I had them 4 years about 40k Miles.

I know the suspension is different from the new 2017 f250,
I did a ton of research before I bought the 5100’s. At the time they seemed like the best pick based on reviews and price.

In my opinion, they SUCKED. They were way to stiff. I know I had 10 ply tires but they were rock hard for a month before I got my new tires in. They were so stiff, I thought the front two had a defect and had them swapped out. Also with in the first Buffalo, Ny winter they had surface rust and looked like ****.

And the company was not easy to deal with in regards to customer service.

Just Wanted to let u know how my last set went.

I have a 2017 fx4 and was thinking of swapping out to the fox2.0’s

LaxPlaya21 02-12-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mack3006 (Post 17793481)

I have a 2017 fx4 and was thinking of swapping out to the fox2.0’s

I'd give this a read before you go swapping anything out!

Do you notice that the bilstein 5100's are noisier than stock? I am running the BDS/Fox 2.0 (specifically valved for the 2017) and I am not sold on them. They definitely make some improvements to the ride but there is sacrifice. They hate the cold weather. Anything below 50F they make a lot more noise, and are very stiff. I notice as soon as the weather warms a little they begin to perform better!

Tricon 02-12-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21 (Post 17793569)

Do you notice that the bilstein 5100's are noisier than stock? I am running the BDS/Fox 2.0 (specifically valved for the 2017) and I am not sold on them. They definitely make some improvements to the ride but there is sacrifice. They hate the cold weather. Anything below 50F they make a lot more noise, and are very stiff. I notice as soon as the weather warms a little they begin to perform better!

You know you can have them revalved to ride anyway you want right? They are the only shock in that list that allows you to do this. It also means you can rebuild them after 50k miles and have brand new performance for pennies on the dollar. Best choice by far imo.

I went with the 2.5 Factory Editions, guessing that's a tad bit more than you're looking for though @ $500 a piece :-drink

Buliwyf 02-12-2018 11:31 AM

Which is stiffer the Fox or the Bilstein. i'm looking for the firmest shocks I can get with a 2" level, until I can afford Kings.

BII Plow Truck 02-12-2018 11:46 AM

Hard to beat German engineering....get the Bilstein. Hands down the very best, imo.

LaxPlaya21 02-12-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 17793586)
You know you can have them revalved to ride anyway you want right? They are the only shock in that list that allows you to do this. It also means you can rebuild them after 50k miles and have brand new performance for pennies on the dollar. Best choice by far imo.

I went with the 2.5 Factory Editions, guessing that's a tad bit more than you're looking for though @ $500 a piece :-drink

I did know you can rebuild them... I didn't know I could specifically valve them! I just let BDS do the valving, and figured they would do a better job than I could haha. Again, it's not that I dislike them.... there is just a trade off with these shocks. You get a little stiffer and more noise for a little more performance.

And the 2.5's are beautiful! I really do love the Fox setups, and they seem to keep getting better with the more coin you lay down. (Obviously)

Do you load the crap out of your truck running those 2.5's?

Clubwagon 02-12-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck (Post 17793634)
Hard to beat German engineering....get the Bilstein. Hands down the very best, imo.

The best shocks are from Holland.

Buliwyf 02-12-2018 01:30 PM

LOL. Yes, yes they are. Got one, and a set of forks in the garage right now. Very nice. Firm and plush at the same time, traction everywhere.

Adjusting the valving is cake. Only hard part is clamping the shock shaft to get the nut off. The Kings shim stack is hardly any different than a motorcycle shim stack. It's just a bunch of flappy washers, nothing you can't handle.

Tricon 02-12-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21 (Post 17793669)
I did know you can rebuild them... I didn't know I could specifically valve them! I just let BDS do the valving, and figured they would do a better job than I could haha. Again, it's not that I dislike them.... there is just a trade off with these shocks. You get a little stiffer and more noise for a little more performance.

And the 2.5's are beautiful! I really do love the Fox setups, and they seem to keep getting better with the more coin you lay down. (Obviously)

Do you load the crap out of your truck running those 2.5's?

I do a lot of fast desert stuff both here in SoCal and down in Baja.

Nothing better than doing 60-70mph on a washboard road and still being able to hold a coversation :-X04

Bilsteins are sort of middle of the road. I like their firmness, others have said they are too harsh which to me sounds like they want a mushy ride. Rancho's I would avoid like the plague. I've never had a Rancho shock I liked. They are mass market junk imo.

Fox or Kings are what I would spend my money on. They are rebuildable, revalve-able, and both have top notch components. The Fox's have twice the hardness in their shafts, which in my experience is what kills shocks. Pit the shaft and you're gonna have seal issues in no time flat. Harder shaft = less chance of pitting. They also have twice the sheer strength, but meh, only time I've seen a shock sheer... that was the last thing they were worried about since the rest of the truck looked like swiss cheese.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f191bb3bc6.jpg

ERAUGrad04 02-12-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 17793842)
I do a lot of fast desert stuff both here in SoCal and down in Baja.

Nothing better than doing 60-70mph on a washboard road and still being able to hold a coversation :-X04

Bilsteins are sort of middle of the road. I like their firmness, others have said they are too harsh which to me sounds like they want a mushy ride. Rancho's I would avoid like the plague. I've never had a Rancho shock I liked. They are mass market junk imo.

Fox or Kings are what I would spend my money on. They are rebuildable, revalve-able, and both have top notch components. The Fox's have twice the hardness in their shafts, which in my experience is what kills shocks. Pit the shaft and you're gonna have seal issues in no time flat. Harder shaft = less chance of pitting. They also have twice the sheer strength, but meh, only time I've seen a shock sheer... that was the last thing they were worried about since the rest of the truck looked like swiss cheese.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f191bb3bc6.jpg

Tricon-

How have you been liking the 2.5 FOXs with DSC? Those are the ones I am eyeing as I really like the ability to adjust the shocks based on conditions (towing, daily driving, etc.). My previous vehicle was a Jeep and it was setup with a King Coilover and triple bypass shock on each corner. It was great being able to adjust the shocks one day to bomb through Death Valley and then another day to crawl through Moab.

Where did you order from?

Thanks!

HRTKD 02-12-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21 (Post 17793569)

Interesting to hear about the noise factor in cold weather. As far as I can tell my Rancho 9000XL shocks don't make any noise. Thanks for the tip! :-drink