2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Home security systems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 AM
5starinc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home security systems?

Morning, any recommendations for camera systems? Currently have a setup that’s no good & would like to upgrade to something better... thanks fellas

Old 02-09-2018, 06:01 AM
USSenator
Elder User
I use Simplisafe. It's easy to set up, low cost for monitoring if you want that, and I can set it over the web if I forget.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:07 AM
grege
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some Duhua cameras and use Sighthound for recording. We put in Hikvision at work and they are much better cameras but also 4 years newer. We also use an NVR there but I would probably just run software again since I have the computer. Someday I will change them out to Hikvision.

For an alarm I am using Simplisafe too. Changed out from a hard wired system I had put in when the house was built. I wanted remote access I didn't have so it made more sense to switch.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 965 Likes on 594 Posts
What's the budget? I wasn't looking to spend a ton or cover several areas or even a single huge area.
Initially I bought a Ring Spotlight camera. Good camera, I did not like the app.
The slider switch for motion detection would constantly flip back to the ON position. Immediately after you turned if OFF. You could only adjust the range of motion detection, not the sensitivity.
If the vague edge of a headlight passed by out on the street, the motion detection would trigger. If I stood in front of the camera and waved my arms it would not.
There was no geofencing, where motion detection recording would automatically turn on when my cell phone got a certain distance away.
Sometimes I would get a push notification if motion was detected, more often I would not.
Long story short, not a great experience.
I wound up purchasing an Arlo Q to monitor the area around my garage door/entrance door.
I already had another model Arlo in the living room. I can use the Arlo app for both cameras and also add more cameras in the future if I like.
It does the things that Ring would not. I can arm or disarm motion detection at will and it works as it should.
There are different ranges for geofencing. As soon as I drive a couple hundred yards down the street, motion detection turns on and I'm notified on the phone.
Motion detection and sound detection can be set for sensitivity. By sliding a finger across the picture shown, you can create zones that are excluded from motion detection.
There's a slider switch to turn night vision on or off. You can also turn off the LED indicator light so that an intruder would not see it flashing in the darkness.
I believe it comes with 7 days worth of cloud recording per month at no charge. Other subscription packages are available.
Nothing is perfect I suppose, but I'm so much happier with the Arlo over the Ring. There are several different indoor and outdoor models of Arlo cameras. They're made by Netgear. The Q that I bought was $169 at the local Best Buy.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:20 AM
hlozano
Senior User
I use Blink cameras. Like the Netgear Arlo, they are totally wireless, but the batteries last much longer than the Arlos.
https://blinkforhome.com/
They are also sold on Amazon so if you have a prime account shipping is free.
I have 4 XT cameras mounted outside for the front porch, driveway, back porch, and garage. 4 indoor cameras for the family room, living room, dining room, and kitchen That covers all the entrances into my home.
Sample screen shot of the phone app.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hlozano
[left]I use Blink cameras. Like the Netgear Arlo, they are totally wireless, but the batteries last much longer than the Arlos.
I have 4 XT cameras mounted outside for the front porch, driveway, back porch, and garage. 4 indoor cameras for the family room, living room, dining room, and kitchen That covers all the entrances into my home.
Looks like a nice setup you've got going on.
One of my Arlos is battery but that one only gets used on the rare occasion that we're gone and the dog is with us. So no battery issue there.
The Arlo Q is AC powered. That one's in use at some point or another every day.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 AM
TitanoBlu
Freshman User
We love this system. Its easy to set up and comes with 8 cameras and a 2 TB DVR. You can also download the app to monitor while away from home. I have my house covered on all areas.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
BlankSpace
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by hlozano
I use Blink cameras. Like the Netgear Arlo, they are totally wireless, but the batteries last much longer than the Arlos.
Sample screen shot of the phone app.

Jeez...what's that's white stuff all over the place?

...says the guy in Florida.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 AM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I use 16 swann 5mp hd cameras with sound and nicght vision, power over ethernet wire makes install a breeze and its hooked up to a 2tb HD. Can be have for 3k or so.
Listings for these systems can be found by seaching this:

New Swann SWNVK-167508-US 16 Channel HD IP 3TB Security NVR & 8x 5MP Cameras

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BlankSpace
Jeez...what's that's white stuff all over the place?

...says the guy in Florida.
Ha! I wish I had that little of the white stuff here!
About 5 more weeks to Daytona vacation.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:59 AM
hlozano
Senior User
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Looks like a nice setup you've got going on.
One of my Arlos is battery but that one only gets used on the rare occasion that we're gone and the dog is with us. So no battery issue there.
The Arlo Q is AC powered. That one's in use at some point or another every day.
The nice thing about totally wireless is they can be mounted anywhere as long as they have a good wireless signal to the base module. If you want to keep an eye on your new truck, mount the camera in a tree. If anyone messes with it the motion detection will trigger and you’ll be notified.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 AM
5starinc
Junior User
Do the wireless blink cameras or Arlo system need to be connected to my home wife to record at all times or the base module is where data is stored? Thanks for all the information guys. You're awesome

Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 5starinc
Do the wireless blink cameras or Arlo system need to be connected to my home wife to record at all times or the base module is where data is stored? Thanks for all the information guys. You're awesome
Arlo can go a couple of ways. My original Arlo battery powered that's used in the living room came with it's own base station that plugs into the router via ethernet cord. It communicates wirelessly with the camera.
Strangely enough the newer Arlo Q that's AC powered will not work with that base station. It connects wirelessly to the home network like any other device.
Today I ordered an Arlo Pro for another part of the house. It has rechargeable batteries or can be left plugged in all the time if used indoors. That one will be compatible with the original Arlo base station. All 3 Arlo cams can be be used via the phone app.
As far as data storage, you get 7 days worth of cloud stored recordings for free for up to 5 cameras. Plenty for motion only activated mode that I always use. If you need more they have a $99/year or $9.99/month plan that gets you 30 days of cloud recordings for up to 10 cameras. Top plan is $149/year or $14.99/month for 60 days/15 cameras.
I'm just checking into this but I believe you can plug USB storage into the base station and data is saved there as well as the cloud. If the internet goes down but power is still on, it records to the USB storage.