Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

IBC

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:15 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IBC

This is for Pocket all of the research you did paid off Ford finally came up with a IBC for 2018 trucks,I got to schedule a Appt with my dealer and i will give you guys the Part number so others can have there's done as well.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
ITBC for 2018

Pocket,Finially a reply from a factory Rep through my Dealer he tells me they have a TBC for 2018 Trucks told me to call my Service Rep to Bring it in for replacement, I will let you know how i make out with hopefully a part number Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM
eurojet
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I missed something , My 2018 came with a IBC, Is there something I should know ?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
If it came with a Factory installed ITBC you're OK,Its the one installed at the dealer that has the Problem, they thought the 2015-2017 is interchangeable with a 2018 It has a Different part number and i found out they still don't have it out yet they say early Spring, I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the IBC the same as the Trailer Brake Controller? I understand the part number for the 2018 F150 is JL3Z-2C006-AA but the main problem is that some trucks don't have a fuse in the section of the fuse box that supplies the 12 volts the harness. Since that voltage isn't there you get a fault.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:00 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Thanks and Reply

Yes that means Integrated Brake Controller and is that the new P/N different from the one for 2015-2017 JL3Z-19H332-AA So that's it the fuse box doesn't have a fuse in it for 12vdc going to the harness, is the voltage for the trailer brakes?

Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
Yes that means Integrated Brake Controller and is that the new P/N different from the one for 2015-2017 JL3Z-19H332-AA So that's it the fuse box doesn't have a fuse in it for 12vdc going to the harness, is the voltage for the trailer brakes?
Yes, the fuse box not only doesn't have the fuse, it actually doesn't even have the pins at #24 so there's no 12v going to the TBC wire harness inside the cab. So even if you use an aftermarket controller it won't have power.

Apparently some trucks have it and others don't but there's no rhyme or reason to which ones have it or not. Easy fix is to wire the controller, either the factory one or the aftermarket Prodigy, directly to the battery, or wait for Ford to figure out how to fix the issue.

I also read you can buy a new fuse box for a couple hundred dollars but why pay for something where Ford dropped the ball? I'm not doing that.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Thanks, for the Reply and Info now i know why Ford hasn't come up with a controller till first Quarter there is allot of trucks that hit the lots without the Trailer Brake Controller, I Hope Ford steps up to the Plate for this Cluster.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Thanks, for the Reply and Info now i know why Ford hasn't come up with a controller till first Quarter there is allot of trucks that hit the lots without the Trailer Brake Controller, I Hope Ford steps up to the Plate for this Cluster.
I left my truck at the dealer to fix the lack of power issue. I showed them where the fuse box doesn't even have the pins to place a fuse in it. They told me they've never heard of the issue (of course). I told them Ford has known it for months now and showed them the letter posted in this thread. I then told them I purchased a truck to be able to tow 9000 pounds and if I can't install a trailer brake controller then it's not safe to tow that much weight so the truck is useless to me. I showed them a copy of the relay circuit and told them that's one way to fix the issue. I figured if the dealer does it then if anything happens in the future it's under warranty.

Once Ford figures out how they're going to deal with it, if it's replacing the entire fuse box then I'll take mine back in. If it's adding a relay then mine is already done. Either way it's not costing me a penny and they gave me a new car as a loaner. To be continued....

Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 AM
AeroCare
Senior User
UPDATE: The dealer calls me this morning and tells me that I have to take the controller to them for them to install for a small fee of $400 !!!!!

I told them I just need to have power in the harness and they said they have to flash the ECM and that takes an hour. I told them it takes 5 minutes, so they told me they charge 1 hour minimum.

Remember this is a brand new truck that I still haven't even received from them. I bought it Saturday, they had me come in Monday to pick it up. I told them about not having the fuse so they gave me a loaner car. I still haven't received my new truck.

I told him I'm getting upset and I'm thinking of just not accepting a defective truck. To me it's like if you buy the truck and show up to pick it up and it has a crashed fender, you don't accept it. Well I bought a truck with the towing package to tow and if I can't stop the truck when towing then I don't need the truck.

As I'm writing this I get a text from the dealer telling me that his tech told him "He is saying he can flash and fix just needs the brake controller". So I might take it to them and see what other excuse they come up with. Then again they have plenty of controllers there in stock, why not just use one of those? I'm going to suggest that to him. I'll keep you all informed...

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Quick question: When they flash the ECM to turn on the TBC, can I replace the factory controller with another one, or is it flashed with the factory controller's serial number, if it has one?

LATEST UPDATE :

I spoke with the service director and he says he can't do anything until I give them my controller and I pay them $125 for flashing. I told him once that's done nothing will happen because there won't be any power from the controller harness. He tells me then they can open a case with Ford.

So I have to accept a defective truck that I can't install a controller so I can't pull a heavy load, the main reason I bought a Ford truck over other brands, and on top of that I have to pay them so they can confirm what Ford already knows but doesn't tell the dealers.

I have requested a meeting with their general manager. I met her Saturday when I was buying the truck and she seems like she has common sense. I'm going to ask her why can't the service department take one of the controllers they have in the parts department, flash the ECM and confirm if the harness has or doesn't have power? It would take them what, 15 minutes? If it has power then there's no problem but if it doesn't have power then I'm seriously inclined to not take delivery of the defective truck and cancel the purchase. If this is how I'm starting the relationship with this dealer then there are lots of other Ford dealers close to my home.

I paid for a tow package because I need a truck to tow. If I can't tow with it then I don't need it. I'll go buy a used truck and install a Prodigy controller and be done with this issue.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:04 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Integrated Brake Controller

Hi AeroCare,
I'm still waiting for my dealer to get the 2018 Controller, they said they don't stock it yet, So I still have the one for 2015-2017 in my truck and this one doesn't work, WOW someone is not taking this serious they know most aren't using there Travel Trailer now but will be Sooon,Prob in May or June but some have Trailers with Electric Brakes without that 12V to the Controller how can it work, Flashing the BCM isn't going to fix it.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Hi AeroCare,
I'm still waiting for my dealer to get the 2018 Controller, they said they don't stock it yet, So I still have the one for 2015-2017 in my truck and this one doesn't work, WOW someone is not taking this serious they know most aren't using there Travel Trailer now but will be Sooon,Prob in May or June but some have Trailers with Electric Brakes without that 12V to the Controller how can it work, Flashing the BCM isn't going to fix it.
The dealer where I have my truck says he can order it and get it in one day. I'm actually heading out the door to go make sure he can. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:18 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Is this dealer located on the north side of Dallas on Central by chance?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
Ok, so my dealer is stepping up. I spoke directly with the General Manager and she offered that if I pay for the part ( JL3Z-2C006-AA ) that she'll pay the labor to install it and flash it. We'll see what happens tomorrow when they can't find the 12v like I told them from the beginning.

ecoboost12 :
Part number JL3Z-19H332-AA is exactly the same Trailer Brake Controller you get when you order it as a factory installed option but it's the "accessory part number" for people like us who buy it later and install it ourselves versus paying more to have it factory installed. So most likely if you try to buy that part number they'll tell you it's not available yet so they can't order it.

The workaround is to order part number JL3Z-2C006-AA then they'll be able to order it because that's the part number for the controller they use when it's the factory equipped option.

Watch out for sellers on eBay that claim to have the TBC for 2015-18 in the title because that won't work and they know it so in the description they tell you it only works for 2015-17.

Here's one on eBay that works and it's also $40 less than what I paid for mine. Also if you call this seller and give them your VIN number they'll confirm if it'll work for your truck : https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-F-150-...19.m1438.l2649

Quick Reply: IBC