Lifted trucks--why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Post that thread in the SD forum and prepare for the fire and smoke brathers.

A couple inches or maybe a leveling kit, fine. You go off roading - great. Unfortunately, in my area most of these trucks if Ford or a GM product are usually spotless. The Fiats - oh well. A 6-12 in lift and an 8 inch 'smoke' stack in the bed belching carbon plus those appearance enhancing rotted out fenders, doors and boxes seems the norm. (sorry, my bias is showing today)

Old 02-04-2018, 01:03 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leveling kits are fine, as they don't affect the hitch height. A lift is a different story. The current 350's are already almost too tall for a lot of 5th/GN trailers. I can't imagine lifting one even higher.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:33 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Post that thread in the SD forum and prepare for the fire and smoke brathers.

A couple inches or maybe a leveling kit, fine. You go off roading - great. Unfortunately, in my area most of these trucks if Ford or a GM product are usually spotless. The Fiats - oh well. A 6-12 in lift and an 8 inch 'smoke' stack in the bed belching carbon plus those appearance enhancing rotted out fenders, doors and boxes seems the norm. (sorry, my bias is showing today)
While this (fifth wheel) group is a subset of the SD group, this group has a special need for the trucks we have. A lot of the SD folk are using their trucks as daily drivers with no other requirement than transportation. I have to admit, there are a couple of things that I find amusing: 1) the people who have the most expensive trucks with the most expensive mods are the ones who can least afford them, and 2) once they realize they can't afford them, they expect someone to buy them. I learned a long time ago not to buy someone else's hot rod. You don't know what they've done to them and I'm not really sure they are safe. In fact some of the lifted trucks look patently unsafe.

But...I'll give it a try. Watch for it in the SD section.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by whooboy
While this (fifth wheel) group is a subset of the SD group, this group has a special need for the trucks we have. A lot of the SD folk are using their trucks as daily drivers with no other requirement than transportation. I have to admit, there are a couple of things that I find amusing: 1) the people who have the most expensive trucks with the most expensive mods are the ones who can least afford them, and 2) once they realize they can't afford them, they expect someone to buy them. I learned a long time ago not to buy someone else's hot rod. You don't know what they've done to them and I'm not really sure they are safe. In fact some of the lifted trucks look patently unsafe.

I couldn't agree more!

Rob

Old 02-04-2018, 10:34 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 05 F350 sits like a stinkbug, came that way from the factory. I added air bags because with my fifth wheel pin weight sitting in the bed my head lights tended to blind traffic coming the opposite direction and I got tired of getting flashed. The air bags need a minimum of 5-10 psi at all times to avoid damage, so it sits even slightly higher in the rear than stock due to the air bags. Not sure I like the stinkbug look but it is functionally appropriate given my needs. I have no need for vanity lifts so I can't explain the desire to lift a truck. I guess, to each their own eh?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass

Umm...I think I started a war in the SD thread.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Yup, read the first 10 or so posts and thought that was enough and closed the window.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It keeps people coming back and their fires stoked

I was about to post one very similar to what you did but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Thanks

Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Because we make them better than the engineers the designed them, We wanted higher center of gravity for faster rollover, Too high to pull a trailer or 5W efficiently or load cargo like bike or quads, waht more can a guy ask for?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I’ve always gone by the moto “ Why screw up a perfectly good truck”

Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM
snkharrington
New User
It seems like some of the "older" trucks came stock with a little lower stance than more modern trucks. Didn't need to lift my 2012 F-150 but the 69 F-100 I'm working on will look better with a 3" lift. Just my opinion though.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our old 75 F-250 High Boy was up there,we learned to jump in not get in.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Skylander
New User
I've been reading this thread with a bit of grin... Just got our 2017 F350 Lariat CC LB SRW with the off-road package (and included lift) in December with intention of picking up a Grand Design 303RLS fiver in a couple of months. I'm 5'9 and its a bit of a stretch to use the steps. For my wife even more-so. I've been thinking of getting them lowered an inch or two but seriously wondering if the vehicle height will pose a problem when we decide to get the rv. Also - I don't know what the engineers who designed this truck package were thinking but that little accessory step in the tailgate? Makes a better seat then a step unless I use my step ladder...just sayin'. ;-)

Wrt fifth wheel pins...is there a ball-park general height for them? Or is it up to each manufacturer to put it wherever?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylander
I've been reading this thread with a bit of grin... Just got our 2017 F350 Lariat CC LB SRW with the off-road package (and included lift) in December with intention of picking up a Grand Design 303RLS fiver in a couple of months. I'm 5'9 and its a bit of a stretch to use the steps. For my wife even more-so. I've been thinking of getting them lowered an inch or two but seriously wondering if the vehicle height will pose a problem when we decide to get the rv. Also - I don't know what the engineers who designed this truck package were thinking but that little accessory step in the tailgate? Makes a better seat then a step unless I use my step ladder...just sayin'. ;-)

Wrt fifth wheel pins...is there a ball-park general height for them? Or is it up to each manufacturer to put it wherever?
There is a not-too-wide range of pin heights across manufacturers for fifth wheels. The more important measurement is ground-to-front overhang for bedrail clearance. Even after they've upgraded the Reflection 303 to 16" wheels (they used to have 15" wheels), you'll likely have trouble getting the trailer level with your truck. Towing nose-high is not good for the trailer suspension, either. Go to a dealer and measure and then do the same with your truck.

Rob

Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
My truck is much the same as yours albeit a '15. I'm 5'7" and had a problem with the stock steps as well. I had Amps Research retractable steps installed. They come down a few inches lower--something my wife and many other ladies who accompany us appreciate. Not cheap, but worth it for a truck we use a lot while out with the fifth wheel. I carry a three-step ladder to get in and out of the bed.

Quick Reply: Lifted trucks--why?