Lifted trucks--why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted trucks--why?

I have always wondered why people put lift kits on their trucks. We see post after post from people who want to pull a fifth wheel, but have lift kits on their trucks. From the pictures I've seen, they are not used in off-road events, so I am assuming they are lifted for looks. My truck, an F-350 CCLB is already high enough. In fact it is taller than any truck I've ever owned--from the factory. Expensive lift, expensive new tires and wheels, expensive fifth wheel, but it does not work. Hence the questions about what to do with the trailer for it to pull level, with enough clearance between trailer and bed rails, etc., etc. So why the lifts?

Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I lifted my 08. Actually is was more of a leveling of it. I did it because of off roading. I would scrape the underside.

Most do it for looks and I like it as well.

A minor lift, not the big stuff.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:36 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Many of us have perfectly ridiculous ways to spend our money...I'm guilty of this as well.

On the topic of lifting and ground clearance. I'm thinking lifting is mostly for looks since many of the lifted trucks also have running boards that subtract the height gained by lifting.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
just like LOW RIDERS,
LOOKS,,, maybe to attack a mate
or the dreaded wheels outside of there car fenders.. a few years back

the "mine is bigger then yours".

my past truck.. I lowered it 2 inches so wife can get into it..
my F 250 (stock 2 wheel drive ) I added steps on her side as she is 5 foot nothing...

I have seen a few trucks.. that were so HIGH.. I could not climb into it.. and I am 6'3... and the owners used step-stools...
the funniest .. one had a rope ladder attached to base of drivers seat... as he was about 5'5 or 5'6.....

Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 AM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Around here the lifts are mostly for looks. It's the same as swapping wheels and grilles. People like to personalize their toys. The only real issue, like you said, is that lifting can actually make it hard to use the truck as a truck. Lifting things into the bed gets harder and gooseneck/fiver clearance becomes an even bigger issue.

I'm not a lifter, but I have to say that these trucks do look nice with the front leveled. That's not an option for me due to garage clearance.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Vezfly
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did 2 inch level to a 2017 CCSB, this left me with a 1.5 down rake. With Sumo springs in rear and fifth wheel hitched up, front and rear of truck are within 1/4 inch level. Main reason didn't want to run around with my rear end in the air for no reason

Old 02-02-2018, 01:44 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
During the hurricane Harvey high water rescues afterwards, one family who had just arrived on dry land from the second floor of their house, had the father on the screen.

He said he had always wondered why they did this also and he stated how happy he was that they did as that's who rescued his family. A lifted SD.

Griz

Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ibdagriz
During the hurricane Harvey high water rescues afterwards, one family who had just arrived on dry land from the second floor of their house, had the father on the screen.

He said he had always wondered why they did this also and he stated how happy he was that they did as that's who rescued his family. A lifted SD.

Griz
That was a pretty neat use for lifted trucks, and a very selfless thing to do.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i always find it funny how many of them end up on the Used Car lots.. when i was looking for my truck that was about all i could find.. was a PITA to find a stock height truck..

Old 02-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sparky83
i always find it funny how many of them end up on the Used Car lots.. when i was looking for my truck that was about all i could find.. was a PITA to find a stock height truck..
very true.

when I found the one I wanted...

we was driving down the highway... and a back lot of a used truck dealership.... several fleet/lease return units..
I got off the freeway and backtracked ...
a clean Non-detailed 2012...

Old 02-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
very true.

when I found the one I wanted...

we was driving down the highway... and a back lot of a used truck dealership.... several fleet/lease return units..
I got off the freeway and backtracked ...
a clean Non-detailed 2012...
there is only 2 things i wish were different on my truck.. wish it had the power slider rear window.. and the 8ft bed instead of the 6-3/4ft bed.. i did find one that met both those but the engine ran like crap.. and it was red.. (red vehicles in my family is bad juju..) but im glad i have mine.. despite those 2 things.. its been handy.. and since my last truck only had a 6ft bed its not much of a difference there..

Old 02-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I NEEDED the 8 foot bed... for my motorcycle... towing a 30 foot travel trailer

I wish my Truck was NOT White..

Old 02-02-2018, 05:32 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
I have an 4" lift and 35s but I don't tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel, I have no problems towing regular trailers.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
In response to your (the OP's) original question: Testosterone - plain and simple. Either compensating for low levels of it or too much of it driving people to various odd behaviors. I'm beyond the age of caring about that kind of thing, so function supersedes form. My current truck is rather like a "low rider tractor." I have PLENTY of space between the bedrails and the fifth wheel, more payload than I need, and I don't drive places where the truck would high-center or scrape.

Rob

Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
Originally Posted by ibdagriz

Griz
Agreed about the kind thing to do...BUT doing a lift for a 100 year flood????

Not in MY book.

Quick Reply: Lifted trucks--why?