ford 6 liter hot start problem - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

ford 6 liter hot start problem

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM
New User

fisherman666 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ford 6 liter hot start problem

hello im new here and have a hot start prob with 06 6 liter needs 4-5 hours to cool before it will start! replaced ipr,stc coupler, hp oil pump,dummy rail plugs,stand pipes,o rings on injectors,had all injectors tested still same problem when hot !icp makes370 psi when hot!Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated please and tyvm
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Elder User

jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What year is your truck? Sorry I read your post too fast, I see you have an '06. Also it is not unheard of to have a bad replacement HPOP, especially the early style pumps, the later style that you have is much better and seldom fails. It sounds like you still have a high pressure leak. I would pull the valve covers and do an air test, use a stethoscope to help locate leaks. If you can't find any leaks you can use nitrogen to pressurize the system to higher levels, I have found leaks that way that did not show up with shop air pressure
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 AM
New User

tyvm i had it dealership where they put ford parts in all parts listed in my post,they had it 3 months and now they say only thing it can be are the branch tubes and it more cost effective to put a new or rebuilt motor in it!?ive been hemorrhaging money on repairs with this truck so today i took it for a 2nd opinion and tech told me i need a ipr to go any further in diagnosis!i just replaced ipr 100 kms ago!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 AM
Posting Guru

Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You or a shop needs to get the truck hot and air test it to find the leak not blindly replace parts. The 05 and up pumps are very stout and it’s not that common for them to die unlike the 03-04 pumps but it does happen but there’s a good chance the pump they changed was still good. You have a high pressure oil leak the air test will find it it sounds like it would be a good idea for you to find a new shop to do this though. How did they test the injectors? Why does the 2nd opinion guy say you need a new ipr? Your ipr does need to come out to put the fitting in its place to air test the high presssure oil system. I wouldn’t buy one more part till it’s been air tested or your just pissing in the wind and it sounds like enough of that has already happened. There are plenty of videos on youtube on doing the air test if you want to see how it works or let your “mechanic” watch it.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 AM
New User

it was pressure tested at ford dealership
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Elder User

rattleNsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have you unplugged your ICP, then tried the hot-start?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman666 View Post
it can be are the branch tubes and it more cost effective to put a new or rebuilt motor in it!?
That's absolute BS. First off you can do a branch tube in frame, secondly if they do have to pull the motor that's no less labor than swapping in another one, and the branch tube and rear cover seals are a lot cheaper than another engine. Good call getting the 2nd opinion.

On the IPR, if the tech pulls it and the screen is covered in lint or broken it doesn't matter it's only 100km old, he'll want to put a new one in. I don't know of an "official" bench test of the IPR valve, so someone who makes money flagging time is going to swap the part instead of wasting an hour.5 of labor dicking around with trying to rebuild a part that he can replace for the cost of him playing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike189677 View Post
Your ipr does need to come out to put the fitting in its place to air test the high presssure oil system.
That's if the tech uses the Accurate Diesel or TamerX IPR plugs.

If the tech uses the OTC adapters the book calls for in the ICP fitting he'll either have to jump the IPR closed (and potentially burn it out like maybe the dealer did?), or use the OTC IPR controller.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM
New User

tyvm tech says ipr that ford just put in is not working properly so they are putting a new one in ! fingers crossed