2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: MONITOR YOUR VARIABLE CAM TIMING & PHASERS w/ Torque Pro - live

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
HOW TO: MONITOR YOUR VARIABLE CAM TIMING & PHASERS w/ Torque Pro - live

For those using Torque Pro (or another type OBDII scanner that permits inputting custom PIDs and formulas) - I have located and worked out formulas for monitoring all the OBDII variable valve timing signals on the Triton engine ('04 through '08 for sure, possibly others - but sadly there is LITTLE STANDARDIZATION in PID assignments - even within different models by the same manufacturer and certainly between different years / equipment config).

Example:

Torque Pro Variable Valve Timing / Phaser Monitor dashboard.

AccPedal is the Torque standard Accelerator Pedal Absolute position
Load and RPM's are also Torque Pro Standards and self explanatory.

NOTE: When creating custom PIDs that are in addition to those that come with Torque Pro's FORD Extended PIDs, I like to preceed the name with an underscore '_' to cause them to sort to the front of PID lists and keep them separated from the stock ones. You may follow this scheme or use your own.

The following is a description of each gauge on the above dashboard:

VCTENA, VCTA, VCTF and CMPFM (Cam Position Sensor FAULT MODE) are flag bits maintained by the PCM concerning the VCT system. You can set up like the above example or add other gauges in Torque Add gauge as desired

The screen is laid out with Bank 2 on the left and Bank1 (passenger side) as the world looks from the drivers seat.

RCAM 2 And RCAM are the PCM's 'requested' Retard - in Crankshaft Degrees for cams on Bank2 and Bank1 respectively.

VCT2DC and CAMDCR show the VCT Solenoid duty cycle 'output by the PCM' to set Bank 2 and bank 1 at the requested retard position respectively.

MAF is Torque Pro's standard Mass Air Flow gauge

IMRC is Intake Manifold Runner Control ON/OFF (Open/Closed) indicator

FICM / SYNC is FICM fault and Crank/Cam sync flag for 'Fuel Injection Control Module'.

VCT2ERR and CAMERRR is Camshaft Retard Error +/- camshaft degrees that the camshafts for Bank2 (on left) and Bank1 (on right) are OFF from the PCM's 'requested' retard for That Bank. this signal is 'generated' BY THE PCM. It is the 'difference', in camshaft degrees, between the 'requested (RCAM, RCAM2 respectively) and the ACTUAL cam position as determined from the CPS sensor(s).

VCT2ERRT and VCT1ERRT are custom PIDs I created consisting of a SUM of Camshaft Retard Error. They have no specific numeric relationship, but indicate if "+"and "-" Cam error are about equal. They SHOULD GENERALLY go above and below zero unless a cam spends more time in the negative or positive territory. It seems (TO ME) it would be indicative of a problem if it gets too far above or below zero OVER time under varying driving conditions.

-------------------

If you have a recent version of Torque Pro, (1.8.178) I am attaching a 'CSV' file containing the custom PIDs. It can be copied into the .Torque/extendedpids directory on your Android phone and simply IMPORTED the F150_VCT_MONITOR.CSV file into Torque directly. If not, you can (carefully & accurately) key in each of the following custom PIDs, then create a dashboard page similar to the one I'm using as depicted above. Then begin monitoring / logging / graphing your variable cam operation with live data. (NOTE: I have placed an underscore ("_") character in front of each PID name to cause them to sort to the front of the sensor list in torque when you are selecting PIDs for dashboard gauges.)

Also NOTE: In ALL PIDs, Scale Factor = 1, Header = Auto / or Blank, Diagnostic Start = blank, Diagnostic end = blank

MODE/PID: 2209CD
Long Name: _FICM signals for Camshaft and Crankshaft positions are in sync
short Name: FICMSYNC
Min 0, Max 1
Unit: On/Off
Formula: {A:0}

MODE/PID: 2216B1
Long Name: _VCT Enable
short Name: VCTENA
Min 0, Max 1
Formula: {A:5}

Long Name: _VCT Active
short Name: VCTA
Min 0, Max 1
Formula: {A:6}

MODE/PID: 221107
Long Name: _VCT Cam Position Sensor Fault mode
short Name: CMPFM
Min 0, Max 1

MODE/PID: 221103
Long Name: _VCT Fault
short Name: VCTF
Min 0, Max 1

Long Name: _IMRC Control
Short Name: IMRC
Min 0, Max 1
Unit: Open/Closed
Formula: {A:4}

MODE/PID: 2216CD
Long Name: _VCT Retard Requested
Short Name: RCAM
Min 0, Max 62
Unit: Cks Deg
Formula: (ABS(Signed(A)*256+B)/12.8)

MODE/PID: 22091C
Long Name: _VCT Retard Requested Bank 2
Short Name: RCAM2
Min 0, Max 62

MODE/PID: 2216CF
Long Name: _VCT Cam Solenoid Duty Cycle
short Name: CAMDCR
Min 0, Max 100
Unit: % DC
Formula: ((A*256)+B)*(100/32767)

MODE/PID: 2216CE
Long Name: _VCT Cam Error
short Name: CAMERRR
Min -35, Max 35
Unit: Cam Deg
Formula: INT((Signed(A)*256+B)/12.8)

MODE/PID: 'leave blank' - this is a special 'memory variable' that maskerades as a PID
Long Name: _VCT Error Accumulator1
short Name: VCT1ERRAC
Min -500, Max 500
Unit: Deg
Formula: Val{_VCT Error1 Total}+(Val{_VCT Cam Error}/10)

MODE/PID: 'leave blank' - this is a special 'variable' that maskerades as a PID
Long Name: _VCT Error1 Total
short Name: VCT1ERRT
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error Accumulator1}

MODE/PID: 22091E
Long Name: _VCT Cam Solenoid Duty Cycle2
short Name: vcT2DC
Min 0, Max 100

MODE/PID: 22091D
Long Name: _VCT Cam Error2
short Name: VCT2ERR
Min -35, Max 35

Long Name: _VCT Error Accumulator2
short Name: VCT2ERRAC
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error2 Total}+(Val{_VCT Cam Error2}/10)

MODE/PID: 'leave blank' - this is a special 'variable' that masquerades as a PID
Long Name: _VCT Error2 Total
short Name: VCT2ERRT
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error Accumulator2}

------------------

Hope ALL the Torque Pror Users out there find this helpful.

Cheers F150-Torqued

NOTE: When you download the 'CSV' file, YOUR COMPUTER may assume it is an EXCEL file - (which 'csv' technically IS). Android wants it in a 'FLAT' text file without any Excel bells and whistles. "SAVE" the file to your computer instead of "OPENING" it. Then copy the file directly to the .Torque/extendedpids folder and everything will go smooth.

Attached Files
File Type: csv
F150_VCT_Monitor_V-1-05.csv (1.6 KB, 825 views)
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM
NEO_Mark
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks
I was wondering how to monitor cam angle.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:56 PM
FightFireJay
New User
F150Torqued,
This thread (in conjunction with other VCT/Phaser threads) was instrumental in determining that I do NOT need to spend any money on new VCT solenoids or cam phasers. It hasn't helped me solve my trucks miss at idle (yet), but it helped me eliminate a possible issue with minimal dollars laid out.

If you are ever in the South Puget Sound (Washington State) area, the first beer/soda/coffee/whatever is on me!

J

Old 11-04-2020, 05:54 PM
pjhaddock
New User
Is there any way to export that layout to be imported?

Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pjhaddock
Is there any way to export that layout to be imported?
There is an "Export Dashboard" facility --- BUT, it is kinda lame because it exports ALL dashboards at once - like a backup. If you imported mine, you'd get 17 screens of gauges set up for my vehicle which might or might not be applicable to yours, or might not have PIDS support for them.

Actually, Torque Pro is very intuitive in the Add Gauges routine. You just long tap the dashboard, select the type gauge you'd like to add and it's size, scroll through the PID list to connect the PID to the gauge, then place it where you like. Once you have the PIDs set up or imported from a CSV file, It's really quick and easy.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:12 PM
Nickyson21
1st Gear
HELP!!!!!!

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
For those using Torque Pro (or another type OBDII scanner that permits inputting custom PIDs and formulas) - I have located and worked out formulas for monitoring all the OBDII variable valve timing signals on the Triton engine ('04 through '08 for sure, possibly others - but sadly there is LITTLE STANDARDIZATION in PID assignments - even within different models by the same manufacturer and certainly between different years / equipment config).

Example:

Torque Pro Variable Valve Timing / Phaser Monitor dashboard.

AccPedal is the Torque standard Accelerator Pedal Absolute position
Load and RPM's are also Torque Pro Standards and self explanatory.

NOTE: When creating custom PIDs that are in addition to those that come with Torque Pro's FORD Extended PIDs, I like to preceed the name with an underscore '_' to cause them to sort to the front of PID lists and keep them separated from the stock ones. You may follow this scheme or use your own.

The following is a description of each gauge on the above dashboard:

VCTENA, VCTA, VCTF and CMPFM (Cam Position Sensor FAULT MODE) are flag bits maintained by the PCM concerning the VCT system. You can set up like the above example or add other gauges in Torque Add gauge as desired

The screen is laid out with Bank 2 on the left and Bank1 (passenger side) as the world looks from the drivers seat.

RCAM 2 And RCAM are the PCM's 'requested' Retard - in Crankshaft Degrees for cams on Bank2 and Bank1 respectively.

VCT2DC and CAMDCR show the VCT Solenoid duty cycle 'output by the PCM' to set Bank 2 and bank 1 at the requested retard position respectively.

MAF is Torque Pro's standard Mass Air Flow gauge

IMRC is Intake Manifold Runner Control ON/OFF (Open/Closed) indicator

FICM / SYNC is FICM fault and Crank/Cam sync flag for 'Fuel Injection Control Module'.

VCT2ERR and CAMERRR is Camshaft Retard Error +/- camshaft degrees that the camshafts for Bank2 (on left) and Bank1 (on right) are OFF from the PCM's 'requested' retard for That Bank. this signal is 'generated' BY THE PCM. It is the 'difference', in camshaft degrees, between the 'requested (RCAM, RCAM2 respectively) and the ACTUAL cam position as determined from the CPS sensor(s).

VCT2ERRT and VCT1ERRT are custom PIDs I created consisting of a SUM of Camshaft Retard Error. They have no specific numeric relationship, but indicate if "+"and "-" Cam error are about equal. They SHOULD GENERALLY go above and below zero unless a cam spends more time in the negative or positive territory. It seems (TO ME) it would be indicative of a problem if it gets too far above or below zero OVER time under varying driving conditions.

-------------------

If you have a recent version of Torque Pro, (1.8.178) I am attaching a 'CSV' file containing the custom PIDs. It can be copied into the .Torque/extendedpids directory on your Android phone and simply IMPORTED the F150_VCT_MONITOR.CSV file into Torque directly. If not, you can (carefully & accurately) key in each of the following custom PIDs, then create a dashboard page similar to the one I'm using as depicted above. Then begin monitoring / logging / graphing your variable cam operation with live data. (NOTE: I have placed an underscore ("_") character in front of each PID name to cause them to sort to the front of the sensor list in torque when you are selecting PIDs for dashboard gauges.)

Also NOTE: In ALL PIDs, Scale Factor = 1, Header = Auto / or Blank, Diagnostic Start = blank, Diagnostic end = blank

MODE/PID: 2209CD
Long Name: _FICM signals for Camshaft and Crankshaft positions are in sync
short Name: FICMSYNC
Min 0, Max 1

Long Name: _VCT Enable
short Name: VCTENA
Min 0, Max 1
Formula: {A:5}

Long Name: _VCT Active
short Name: VCTA
Min 0, Max 1
Formula: {A:6}

MODE/PID: 221107
Long Name: _VCT Cam Position Sensor Fault mode
short Name: CMPFM
Min 0, Max 1

Long Name: _VCT Fault
short Name: VCTF
Min 0, Max 1

Long Name: _IMRC Control
Short Name: IMRC
Min 0, Max 1
Unit: Open/Closed
Formula: {A:4}

MODE/PID: 2216CD
Long Name: _VCT Retard Requested
Short Name: RCAM
Min 0, Max 62

MODE/PID: 22091C
Long Name: _VCT Retard Requested Bank 2
Short Name: RCAM2
Min 0, Max 62

MODE/PID: 2216CF
Long Name: _VCT Cam Solenoid Duty Cycle
short Name: CAMDCR
Min 0, Max 100

MODE/PID: 2216CE
Long Name: _VCT Cam Error
short Name: CAMERRR
Min -35, Max 35

MODE/PID: 'leave blank' - this is a special 'memory variable' that maskerades as a PID
Long Name: _VCT Error Accumulator1
short Name: VCT1ERRAC
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error1 Total}+(Val{_VCT Cam Error}/10)

Long Name: _VCT Error1 Total
short Name: VCT1ERRT
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error Accumulator1}

MODE/PID: 22091E
Long Name: _VCT Cam Solenoid Duty Cycle2
short Name: vcT2DC
Min 0, Max 100

MODE/PID: 22091D
Long Name: _VCT Cam Error2
short Name: VCT2ERR
Min -35, Max 35

Long Name: _VCT Error Accumulator2
short Name: VCT2ERRAC
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error2 Total}+(Val{_VCT Cam Error2}/10)

MODE/PID: 'leave blank' - this is a special 'variable' that masquerades as a PID
Long Name: _VCT Error2 Total
short Name: VCT2ERRT
Min -500, Max 500
Formula: Val{_VCT Error Accumulator2}

------------------

Hope ALL the Torque Pror Users out there find this helpful.

Cheers F150-Torqued

NOTE: When you download the 'CSV' file, YOUR COMPUTER may assume it is an EXCEL file - (which 'csv' technically IS). Android wants it in a 'FLAT' text file without any Excel bells and whistles. "SAVE" the file to your computer instead of "OPENING" it. Then copy the file directly to the .Torque/extendedpids folder and everything will go smooth.

I know this is a old post, but im in dire need up help. always use this forum for help with my 2005 5.4 3v, but just decided to register since i need some advise. i followed you CVS imput and added to my torque pro app on my phone. mirrored your exact set like your picture and fired up the truck and got these reading for it. Can you help me figure out what the hell is going on?

Back story, did a whole new timing job about 15k miles ago. currently at 205k. New phasers, chains, guides tensions, all ford OEM parts. bought the kit that Ford Tech Makuloco advise to. New hv oil pump etc. truck ran perfect for the last 15k mile. all of a sudden on my way to work it sputtered out and stalled on the highway. So got it diagnosed, and was advise drivers side (bank 2) low compression. Codes were P0011 and P0022. He pretty much said my truck jumped time. So i thought ok lets tear into it again. Just got done tearing it apart, chain looked loose. guide was good. phasers everything looked great. well i took off the tensions on bank 2 and the seal was blow. So i ordered 2 new ford OEM tensions, and figured lets just do roller follows, lash adjusters, water pump, everything to be sure. i just assumed everything that was happened was caused by the blown out tension. So i proceed to swap all this stuff out. got the crank to the 11 oclock timing position. (used the timing tool) and proceed to match up all the timing marks perfect 3 or 4 times before buttoning it all down. i was confident it was done correctly for the second time. got everything put back together. new oil, coolant, tensions, roller followers, lash adjusters, etc. Really didnt want to get new phasers, VCTs, chain or guides, because my thinking is they are all less than 20k miles old ford oem parts, they couldnt be bad right?? IDK... anyways i primed the oil in the truck before the start up and started it up. it was super quiet and rand decent for the first 20 seconds, then the same shaky rough idle and eventually stalled out. i was in disbelief. tried starting again an same outcome. check the codes again and same P0011 and P0022, and now a P2195 and P2198 codes. WTF. everything was done right, so now im freaking out, tired of tearing into this thing, and figured i have to go back to diagnostics. Found your post on this forum and figured hell yea i have had torque pro for years. ill do that and see what i come up with. So i have, but im still not 100 percent what all the displays mean that i imported from your CVS files. i guess if ytou can shed some light on this for me, and give me anything to go after next rather than just throwing parts at this thing. Love the truck and like the challange to work and keep it going rather than buying a new truck or motor like all my friends and family advise.

id appreciate

anything!