problem solved! (fuel filter) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

problem solved! (fuel filter)

Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 AM
fabchef
Freshman User
fabchef is starting off with a positive reputation.
problem solved! (fuel filter)

Hi everyone, well as i had posted before, i've been having some odd issues with our 2001 e150 van. I thought it was a tranny thing as when i would floor it, the engine would rev up but go no where. It would often have a hard time starting in the morning, even on slower speeds, it would kinda buck back and forth and when driving on an incline, there was no power.
I thought maybe it was the serpentine belt going bad, changed it, wasn't it. Then i thought.."hmm maybe not enough fuel"? i saw there was a fuel filter on it, and didn't know if it had ever been changed, so i had it changed a few days ago. Today i had a chance to try it out (got lots of snow on the ground and don't wanna kill myself), i floored it and the van came back to life and took off! As well, i noticed no more weird screeching noises coming from engine compartment. When in park or at a stop light its hard to tell if the engine is running! very smooth, unlike before (stumbling).
So if you have some of these issues, maybe have your filter changed?
fab

Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
wiskeyVI
Senior User
wiskeyVI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Good to know.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Thenne1713
Freshman User
Thenne1713 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad the filter fixed it, but re: screeching, belts/ serpentines can make some weird noises, and new may fix; (but) new may (soon) start making noise also (because) idlers and pulleys will develop surface rust within hours, and being off for days/ weeks can make things worse and noise return. The good news is that the noise will go away in 5-15-minutes.... when it does not, then it is time to check bearings/ belts. :-) Best to you..

Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 PM
fabchef
Freshman User
Update*** now I got it!
so I thought I had solved the problem by changing the fuel filter (which was still a good thing to do). The van had been sputtering and getting a little worst by the day. TODAY...finally! The "check engine" light started flashing and stayed lit...yay! Took the scanner and showed "misfire on cyl #3". So I got a new plug, when I took out the old one, the rubber end (that goes over plug) had started to split down the middle!! Putting the new one in was a b-+ch! It didn't seem to sink in over the plug, but I tightened it and the van is running like a champ. Btw...whoever designed these curved plugs, should be flogged with a wet noodle! Super poor design and don't sit properly.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 PM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
kennyfzj80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
should be flogged with a wet noodle!
Glad you got your issue resolved but please watch the language around here.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 PM
fabchef
Freshman User
oups..sorry.
What i did want to know is....the coil that i put in was not OEM. Is there an easy way to get the coil on? i was pushing down on the coil so hard, and when i let go it would kinda bounce back up, is this normal?
thanks
fab

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM
VansFormer
New User
VansFormer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kennyfzj80 View Post
Glad you got your issue resolved but please watch the language around here.
Um what language? wet noodle? flogged? you realize the OP is chef? lol

Old 03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
VansFormer
New User
Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
Update*** now I got it!
so I thought I had solved the problem by changing the fuel filter (which was still a good thing to do). The van had been sputtering and getting a little worst by the day. TODAY...finally! The "check engine" light started flashing and stayed lit...yay! Took the scanner and showed "misfire on cyl #3". So I got a new plug, when I took out the old one, the rubber end (that goes over plug) had started to split down the middle!! Putting the new one in was a b-+ch! It didn't seem to sink in over the plug, but I tightened it and the van is running like a champ. Btw...whoever designed these curved plugs, should be flogged with a wet noodle! Super poor design and don't sit properly.
Thanks for posting this I am going through the exact same situation except its cylinder 6 missfiring. I have it in today getting all new plugs and coils. Im not leaving anything to chance like the piece of mind a full tune up with fresh parts. Your post gives me hope that mine will be fine. Im at 110thousand miles so a refresh could not hurt.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM
HighballHighlife
New User
HighballHighlife is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for sharing. Having almost the exact same issues in a 88 E350 7.3L IDI and also thought fuel filter and/or glow plugs. Looks like injector lines are leaking though. Which, for me, is much more disappointing. Kind of explains my MPG though. Not that it was great before I was leaking fuel haha.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by VansFormer View Post
Um what language? wet noodle? flogged? you realize the OP is chef? lol
lol I thought the exact same thing

Old 03-23-2018, 03:56 PM
VansFormer
New User
I got my van back. I had all plugs replaced and boots and coils. All codes are clear and sensors are complete now.
The engine noise is back to very smooth sounds now and I lots more power. I'm sure I've been suffering with the cyl 6 coil for quite awhile before it finally cacked. it like driving a completely different vehicle.