General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Dodged another Microsloth bullet

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Dodged another Microsloth bullet

Hi,

After reading about the intel processor issue (look around, the stories are everywhere), I updated my W10 machine and checked on my W7 (supposedly there won't be a fix for that until Tuesday).

Well, surprise surprise surprise -- it woun't check for updates -- said the service wasn't running. I eventually ran msconfig, and it is running.

Turns out that MS had a problem in the W7 updates. A file alled authorization.xml lists an expiration date of 12/03/17 -- oops. The real issue is this file on their server I guess, but whatever.

One solution I found on the web was to check the box in update settings that says 'give me the updates for microsoft ...' Unfortunately, I didn't have that option.

The German fellow who had discovered that solution, also discovered a way to get that option to show up if you didn't have it -- install MS Silverlight.

Tried that and it said that couldn't be done because I already had Silverlight.
Fortunately, I was able to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight and I got the option. So, at long last my update check is working ( for now).

Seems like an odd solution. My guess is that it somehow causes the date to be changed or ignored.

hj