Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Rebuilding injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Derrick Kephart
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding injectors

Hello all I have the top end of my truck torn aparr. it's a 1991 F250 7.3 I was curious if I want to take the nozzle cap off and do a thorough cleaning of the spring and everything else inside the injector if anybody knows the torque specs for that nozzle cap

Last edited by Derrick Kephart; 12-16-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Wrong word and apelling
Old 12-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Have you read up on rebuilding the Injectors? Lot more than wire brushing, blowing them out with air and screwing them back together.
Maybe you are going to do more than that...IDK.

Here is a good video on taking them apart. Doesn`t mention the torque of the 2 halves though.

35lbs to torque to the head.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...que-specs.html

On my quick Google search didn`t see it for the 2 halves.

How many miles on the Injectors? You can get a good set form R&D Performance for not too much $$$.
R&D IDI Performance - Home click on purchase and Injectors.

Charlie

Old 12-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Derrick Kephart
New User
Yeah I read up on it the only thing I can't find is the torque specs for the two halves that's why I was just throwing the question out there if anybody knew it by chance. I would love to buy new ones or upgraded ones but I'm on a tight budget these days so I have to kind of go old-school and rebuild it it's all possible with what I have here

Old 12-17-2017, 02:07 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

I was poking around Google trying to find that torque setting. Does not seem to be listed anywhere.
I did find this article on rebuilding them, but this guy could not find the torque either. Good info here.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Charlie

Old 12-17-2017, 05:00 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just snug em up good

Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Derrick Kephart
New User
Thank you guys so much I really appreciate it I was getting frustrated trying to find anything online besides YouTube videos and with work getting ready to permanently close and everything else I just couldn't deal with one more failed internet search. Again thank you it's greatly appreciated

Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Thanks for the link Charlie. I've thought about rebuilding my injectors. I've rebuilt plenty of carburetors (both GM and Ford), I don't see how diesel injectors could be much more difficult. Definitely something to consider.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

You are going to need a pop tester to get them as close as possible when they spray.
That video I posted the guy made his from a Bottle Jack, seen those made over the years. some work good some do not.
Commercially made ones of good quality are pricy. here is a list I found on E-Bay, majority are probably made in China or India by the low price.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ester&_sacat=0

Old 12-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Thanks for posting the video too. I watched it and it seems that pop testing the injectors after a rebuild is definitely important. Unfortunately, I don't know if I would have the aptitude to build a tester like that. Here's one available on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

There are a few others on Amazon that are a bit cheaper. Unfortunately, none of them have numerous reviews.

I searched on the Tool Discounter website. I couldn't find one. They do carry the Ferret timing adapter and a couple of different diesel compression testers. I might have overlooked it:

Automotive Tools and Auto Tools from Tool Discounter

Old 12-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Tool Discounter has this one...rather pricy.

OTC 4200 Fuel Injection Tester - Fuel System Tools

Pop testing Injectors for your self now and then, the cheaper one`s are probably ok.
You need to have them pop with in 50psi of ea other or what ever it is to have the engine run as well as you can get it.
There is a ton of info out there on how to do it.

Charlie

Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cheaper pop tester is fine, but you need new nozzles. Otherwise, it's all for naught - you'll still have the same leaky, worn out injectors you had.

Don't take them apart unless you have new parts for them; it's not worth it.

I've done it myself, many ways... and that's what I've come up with.

Nozzles... I'd talk to R&D IDI Performance and see if they'll sell you a set. Not sure where else to get them.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:37 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Cheaper pop tester is fine, but you need new nozzles. Otherwise, it's all for naught - you'll still have the same leaky, worn out injectors you had.

I wondered if there were parts that needed replacing during an injector rebuild.

Here's another reputable rebuild shop that might be able to provide parts:

fuel injection injection pump injection pump rebuilding injection pump repair, Conestoga Diesel Injection Fuel Injection and Turbocharger Rebuilding. The Moose Pump people! Willow Street, PA Home

Old 12-26-2017, 06:09 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The problem will be a source for nozzle and pintle or needle and seat or nozzle as those are the wear items. You'll get some you can clean and shim but our of 8 surely the wear surfaces of some will be marred and pissing fuel. I'm not sure Stenadyne still makes these parts. I believe the two reputable rebuilders (R&D and Conestoga) now do some fancy machine work to refinish the old parts.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
I believe the two reputable rebuilders (R&D and Conestoga) now do some fancy machine work to refinish the old parts.
No, R&D gets them new. I can't say where he gets them, but they are brand new.
The Stage 1's are the same new nozzles, but bored out.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I made the mistake of buing one of those pop testers from India; thing takes 20 years to build up pressure and leaks everywhere.
Wait, that's just like my truck...

Quick Reply: Rebuilding injectors