Alternator - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator

Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Senior User

irly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alternator

Hello all
I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had any problems with their alternators on their trucks. I have a 2014 6.7 with only 76000 km's on it.
The first alternator went last April and just plain quit no warning no nothing, this one was changed with an alternator from Napa because Ford was going to be a week out and Napa provides a lifetime warranty and I thought how often does an alternator quit and thought it had to be a fluke. Last Saturday I was driving in a remote area about 4 hours from the closest town with no cell service and this one quit. I have an edge monitor so I could see the voltage slowly going down so I shut everything off heater, wipers etc and went as fast as i could to get back to town, the truck barely made it and started to shut down the transmission. I got it home put it in reverse it clunked and died. This time it was replaced with an alternator from Ford. Has anybody else had problems? is this a fluke? and I had no idea how vulnerable we all are when it quits for being stranded somewhere.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Postmaster

Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
I have not seen but a very few reports of alternator problems on the 6.7 forums. Is there any chance you have added some electrical components that are drawing more current?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior User

F250_Super_4X4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like the voltage regulator is burning out. You may have a high voltage/amperage draw that is causing it to fail. Looking at your sig it could be the winch.

On the old trucks the voltage regulator was external to the alternator and is a must have spare item along with a starter solenoid.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Senior User

I dont think that there is any more draw on anything as the winch rarely gets used, I have added led lights but they dont get used that often either, when you say a voltage regulator is that not part of the alternator? if not can you tell me where it is and is there any way of testing it?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior User

The edge monitor always shows 14.3 to 14.4 I assume that this is normal as well?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Senior User

F250_Super_4X4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. yes that reading is normal. I would start your truck and check the amps that the alternator is pushing without any accessories on. Should be pushing approx 50-60 amps at idle. To much more than that will overwork the alternator.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Current is drawn not applied.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Freshman User

NDE is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this problem with my old 2005 6.0. My alternator went out and I got a non-Motorcraft with a lifetime from Kragen. They kept going out, but when tested they would work in the shop. Turned out once they reached a certain temp they were shutting down. I asked to give my Motorcraft core back so I could rebuilt it but it was already gone. They offered one more replacement and a refund if that did not work. The 4th one they gave me was a rebuilt Motorcraft and I never had a problem with it after that. At first I thought I had a short somewhere. It was a pain to figure out that they were just junk alts.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Senior User

I am hoping that it is a fluke and wont happen again, it was pretty scary not knowing if we were going to make it out of the bush, I just find it really odd that the factory one and the replacement have both been replaced already. Like you said though hard to say how these things are being rebuilt. we would have been stranded because of it
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Deplorable

Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
I would check the 3 small wires from the alternator to the body connector. Had a few reports of them corroding/ chafing along the engine where the engine harness transitions from the engine to the body (lower right side of engine toward front). That is where I'd put my wager on... lol
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Senior User

I will look at that this weekend, Thank you all for your input
Old 12-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Post Fiend

troverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to behold
Did you find out any more on this?

I'm assuming your diesel only has a single alternator and not the optional dual arrangement?

I think alternator failure is rare on any modern Ford truck. But be advised there are many different outputs available from alternators that all look pretty much identical. 157A, 185A, 200A, 220A, maybe more.

A winch hits the battery hard...but you say you don't use it much. LED lights are very low draw.

A bad battery could also cause the alternator to work harder. Internal shorting or bad cells might cause a problem.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Senior User

Hi There
after getting a new alternator put in I looked around for anything that might be obvious but couldn't see or feel anything. I replaced the first alternator in April and at the same time replaced the batteries as well just for due dilligence. the batteries were tested this time as well and were fine being fairly new. I do run LED light bars very occasionally and the winch maybe gets used once or twice a year in hunting season. As I mentioned before the scary part is with no alternator you have no truck, depending where you are it could be a real problem. Luckily I have a monitor and could see it dropping instead of not knowing and waiting for a dash light to come on and start shutting down with out warning. Yes it is only a single alternator my old 6.4 had the dual set up, I asked my mechanic about it this time but he is reassuring me that this is a one off and it shouldn't happen again. Keeping my fingers crossed, I would have been stranded 4 hours from the closest highway. Funny first thing we noticed is that the heater controls were wonky put on the heated seats and they got colder and the fan was being controlled by the heated seat button, I didn't clue in thinking there was a problem with the heater so this is one indication people can watch out for
Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Senior User

jav_eee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irly
As I mentioned before the scary part is with no alternator you have no truck, depending where you are it could be a real problem.
This happens on any other vehicle as well. It's not specific to the 6.7.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
Post Fiend

troverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to beholdtroverman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_eee View Post
This happens on any other vehicle as well. It's not specific to the 6.7.
Aside from tremendous electric usage at startup, a diesel likely takes less to stay running since it is not operating an ignition system. Combine that with the fact that it has dual batteries...I'd guess a 6.7L would stay running on battery alone than a 6.2L pickup.

The climate control and heated / cooled seats can also be completely shut off.