7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.0 is coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
/
I am as wrong as the next guy... and just as Right...
/
I just have 43 years of wrenching.. to make my guess's about even-steven...

Old 02-27-2018, 02:19 PM
2020Superduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 👍

Originally Posted by ford5.8
Its going to be a 7.3.
I very much believe that the 7X engine will be a 7.3L I heard this news from a very reliable source @ SEMA a year and half ago...before the press conference last year. Someone started a rumor on the web that the engine will be a 7.0L, and everyone ran with it!!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Interesting been following this thread for a while... I sometimes work in the boating industry. The 6.2L has been a big hit and proving to be more efficient with better power than the GM offerings. That said, the same manufacturer that uses Ford 6.2L blocks for boat engines is testing and tuning 7.0L blocks from Ford. At least that is what I was told from the Rep about a month ago.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't doubt for a second that a big bore 6.2 to 7.0L, and a HD 7.3L were being produced. But the 7.3L is supposed to be all new.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What’s really funny about that piece of paper is people were calling it a fake a poor photoshop now we got a clear shot of the paper and the same people see “6.2” and all the sudden the paper is legit and a credible source because it agrees with them and their ideals. Isn’t that funny.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
What’s really funny about that piece of paper is people were calling it a fake a poor photoshop now we got a clear shot of the paper and the same people see “6.2” and all the sudden the paper is legit and a credible source because it agrees with them and their ideals. Isn’t that funny.
So normal in today's World.. they do the same with people.. attack till proven wrong.

Yes, I am P.O.S...... but 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours can do that. sucks getting O L D.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:48 PM
texinwa
Senior User
Ford plant in Windsor being transformed to build new engine | Windsor Star
The $613-million investment Ford of Canada committed to its Windsor operations during 2016 contract negotiations with Unifor is starting to come to life.A new seven-litre, V8 truck engine, expected to be called the 7X, should be in production at the Windsor Engine plant’s Annex site by the end of the year, it was confirmed Thursday.“We are going to see equipment come in as early as March,” Tony Savoni, site manager for Ford operations in Windsor, said during a United Way announcement at the Annex off Seminole Street.“Right now the teams are laying out our strategy for installation. This building will be full and we hope to be moving some parts by November,” he said.The Annex site has been emptied, floors cleaned and painting done to prepare for the new equipment that will be used to build engines.Savoni said the block and rod line should arrive in March and by July the crank line, head line and assembly line will be in place. Computer numerical control (CNC) equipment — highly automated machine tools — will be used to build the engines.It “is the way of the future,” allowing for quick retooling and upgrading for future products, Savoni said. “Within those CNCs there’s some new technology that we are going to teach our people how to use.”The investment shows faith in the Windsor workforce, he said. “We have a lot of hardworking people that come in here and they understand how to make a good, quality product and they have the pride that goes along with it.”Engines should be coming off the line by the end of the year, but those will likely be put in test vehicles, he said. The new V8 engine will replace the 6.8-litre, V10 engine used in Ford’s F-series trucks. Savoni wouldn’t say how many jobs the new engine will create.Ford agreed to invest $613 million in its Windsor operations as part of its last contract with Unifor, settled in late 2016.In March 2017, the company announced a $1.2-billion plan to transform its Windsor operations to which the federal and provincial governments are contributing $204.8 million. At the time, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the investment would create or maintain 800 jobs.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:40 AM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Soooo....it's going to replace the V10. Guess we won't see it in the 250/350 pickup?

Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by spud57
Soooo....it's going to replace the V10. Guess we won't see it in the 250/350 pickup?
depends on marketing... the V10 was offered in the 250/350 years ago...
a few are still working here in south Texas... towing campers / work trailers.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:57 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by spud57
The V10 was eliminated from the 250 and 350 because of pollution standards and made available only in the higher GVW trucks. I can't beleave that they would design a new motor that wouldn't be comparable with all GVW ratings. I think we will see 3 motors available in the SD trucks.

Denny

Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
So did the 6.2 come in anything bigger than a 350? And they are planning on using the 7.x for all the bigger trucks >350? And the push rods make it more durable? Trying to put this all together.....
How the heck can PUSHRODS make ANYTHING more "durable"? They're the main points of failure on the GM v8's, because they BEND (can you say "column bending"?).

If Ford were to go backwards (especially since GDI is not going away, as all of their engines will be using them soon enough), it would be a death-knell for them. And don't see them being that stupid as to even consider pushrods for anything except the coffee machine in the break room.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kry226
This kid is pretty good, but misses a few things. It's a good description of the OHV vs SOHC vs DOHC. I'm sure others will be along to add their 2 cents as well. I'm certainly no expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GZtShToroc
From the comments:
Push rods are bad, m'kay? NO. ONE. ELSE. except GM & Dodge does pushrods in ANY engines any more. And there's a great reason for it: COLUMN BENDING.

Pushrods fail. Often.

Any OHC motor can be designed and tuned to run like a Chevy V8 (without the pushrod failures), and make as much power, if not more, for the same displacement.

As for packaging: the original 427 Cammer was a SOHC motor in the same package dimensions as a pushrod 427,and those heads were proven to flow far more than the bottom end could provide (capable of something like 800ci out of the box, iirc?), so it can be done easily.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by J Standard
I will take a push rod engine all day everyday!
GM dealer is right down the street...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
For the application, pushrod OHV makes a lot of sense. Large displacement low r.p.m. truck engine, no advantage in OHC. One advantage of a pushrod OHV is external size, as has been pointed out in the tread earlier. Consider that a 4.6L Mod. is larger than a Lima 460 in every dimension except length!

As for the comment that GM engines need timing chains every 70k and cams every 100K, thanks for the biggest laugh I have had all day! I have 30+ years experience in utility/municipal fleet maintenance, and I have seen all makes of trucks in very demanding applications and know the strong and weak points of just about every light and medium duty truck made in the last 35 years. While we have had good luck so far with the Ford 6.2L, the old-tech pushrod GM LS iron block truck engines have been without a doubt the most reliable and longest-lasting engines we have ever had in the fleet. And everyone knows what those engines are capable of horsepower-wise.

If Ford wants to build a big old pushrod V-8 for trucks, all I can say is bring it on! I might not want one in a Mustang, but it sure sounds good for an F-350.
So where did you hide the spaghetti piles of bent pushrods?

Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Tex Arcana
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
to bad Mazda stopped making this engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josJhz8VS8A

one moving part.. aka RX7,, many years ago Suzuki also made it into a motorcycle. RE5
You mean the two-stroke "1.3-liter" that burns oil like a chainsaw and gets the fuel milage of an old Chevy flathead while making half the power before spitting the apex seals all over the place?

There's reasons no one else even tried to make this "engine" viable.

Quick Reply: 7.0 is coming