1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vintage Air Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Vintage Air Issues

I am installing my second Vintage Air Gen II system in my 40 Ford coupe, the first was in my 56 F100. The latest generation of these systems use a 5-wire heater control valve to incrementally open and close the flow of hot water to the heater element in the evaporator under the dash. I have been cautioned not to mount this valve anyplace where it cannot be easily accessed because it WILL need to be replaced in the near future. I have done some research on this topic and I have found some stories on the internet about failures others have experienced. All these stories are at least 8 years old however and do not apply to the current system configuration for the Gen II. Vintage Air says that they do not have any reliability issues with this valve but caution that the valve is not waterproof and should not be placed where it can get wet. They also bring up some of the more common-sense cautions about keeping the cooling system filled with the appropriate amount of anti-freeze and keeping the fluid clean.
Here is my question...has anyone here had issues with the Vintage Air heater valve?

Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I have the genII in my 53 and have noticed as it's gotten cooler here that the water valve doesn't seem to be opening fully. I haven't had time to diagnose it yet, so not sure where the problem lies.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:15 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Here is a pic of the valve opened up, the problem that many have reported seems to be in the ball valve itself and not the stepper motor that drives it. The way one owner stated the problem was that the valve sticks wherever it was set last...he said that the A/C was not getting cold but after troubleshooting the system he found that it was the heater valve that was the issue. The valve stuck partially open which was adding warm air to his cold air and making it seem like the A/C was defective.

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Maybe the answer is to exercise it regularly in addition to keeping a clean system.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 AM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the similar VA Gen 2 in my '54 for the last 9 years or so with no problems. But I live in Sacramento, so I use the AC constantly for 5 months during the summer (i drive it a lot!), and maybe use the the heater/defrost just a handful of times during any winter.

It's been fine so far, but if i ever have an issue with my heater valve, I'll probably just assume it died of boredom....

Jerry

Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
"died of boredom"...I like that!
I have been up around Folsom Lake on some fairly brisk evenings, I think I would have needed a bit of heat on those occasions. Do you recall if the heater valve in your 54 looks like the one I posted? Hopefully assembled though.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
That valve sounds like a boatload of trouble. And after looking at your pictures that seems to be a very expensive and complicated mechanism prone to failure. Jerry's "dies of boredom" comment is very appropriate.

I know that the OEMs are using these devices with their auto-temp control systems. But I don't see the value of controlling the hot coolant flow when the more traditional and reliable way is to control the airflow from outside.

If this is necessary maybe there is a better solution? Perhaps one of these SS valves with fewer moving parts could be adapted to work?

https://www.tlxtech.com/assets/files...trol-Valve.pdf

-