1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Upgrading stock fuel pump? Fass, Airdog?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Upgrading stock fuel pump? Fass, Airdog?

I believe my stock fuel pump may have taken a dump on me.

Sort of thinking about using this as a chance to upgrade. My truck already has a fuel bowl delete, so I'm a bit worried about filtration quality.

Have been heavily looking around for black Friday deals, thinking of going with a Fass or Airdog setup.

With mild sticks and a GTP38R, is there any logic on going with a 150 GPH pump over a 100 GPH setup for the small price increase?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:41 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Airtex E2236. See signature.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:57 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put an Airdog in my truck and loving it. DPP is having a sale right now on Airdog and FASS.
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx

Old 11-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

I just now realized the the early air dog setups require the factory pump. I'm glad I realized that before ordering.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:01 PM
JGRNAUT_7.3L
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes that could have been bad and cost you more money. The original just acts like a lift pump and feeds the original pump and the new 4g replaces the original and is what I put on mine since I needed a new pump like you and filtration after hutch mod. Some like having both so it’s kind of like a backup if one were to go out, but I have full convidence in Airdog. If they are willing to offer a lifetime warranty, then they must put out a great product and I can rely on it. Only time will tell but have read plenty of good things about them.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

I think short term, I will just go with a bosch replacement. A quick search of reviews made me a little worried on Airdog setups so I'm just going to go cheap and logical with a new stock pump.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:26 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quick444
I think short term, I will just go with a bosch replacement. A quick search of reviews made me a little worried on Airdog setups so I'm just going to go cheap and logical with a new stock pump.
I too have been researching the AirDog setup. My truck gets noisy, smokes more, and loses power anytime I start getting under 1/2 tank. However, I prefer to run it down to almost empty before filling; so I guess an AirDog is my solution.

What I have found is the problems you are reading about are due to an old motor design that has since been superseded.

I actually prefer to go with the lower pressure AirDog, to feed my stock pump.
1.) Its cheaper.
2.) The Airdog running at 10psi will be much quieter and should last longer then one running at high pressure.
3.) The AirDogII 4G is preset at only 55psi. Thats sort of marginal for a 7.3L. It can be adjusted up, but the AirDog website states that running the pump at 70-75psi will be louder and can shorten the life of the pump.

Of course the AirDogII 4G can also be turned down, and used to feed the stock pump.

So, I'm kinda debating which one to go with.
A4SPBF168 is the 100GPH Airdog and is on sale right now for $539.10

A6SABF492 is the ADII 4G, which is 165GPH, is preset at 55psi, and has the newer low return/ on demand design. It also has a better motor design. It is currently on sale for $665.10

100GPH is more then adequate fuel flow. AirDog states is enough for up to 500HP. So, I don't have any need for the extra flow of the more expensive pump. It would purely be a question of whether or not I want to pay more then $100 more for the newer design. I'm thinking probably not.

The other issue is just pulling the trigger at all. While I have been curious about the AirDog for a while, I wasn't really prepared to buy one now. BUT, I currently have an ebay bucks rewards bonus, which is offering 10% back. It expires in a few hours.

So, I need to decide now, or lose over $50 in rewards. The pump would be $539.10, with free shipping. But I will also get 10% back ( $53.91), via Ebay bucks, to spend on ebay in January. I am always buying things on ebay, for business.The "Bucks" will absolutely be used, so its essentially cash. Therefor, if it buy it in the next few hours, the pump will effectively cost me $485.19

That's, by far, the cheapest I have seen an AirDog.

The other choice is to let this rare deal go, and keep looking for a used system on Craigslist, or make my own. Going either of those ways, I would expect that I MIGHT be able to get something working for about $200-$300. So, not sure if its worth the savings VS just buying a new one.

Thoughts, opinions?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
A well done Hutch/Harpoon mod, good pre-pump filter/strainer like a Racor, and a stock Bosch pump is all I'd ever recommend on any of these trucks, regardless of ranch or race duty.

And one fine day I'll take my own advise and get that cheap azz Fram filter off there and put the Racor on the bench into service.

If air is getting into the fuel and making the engine sound different at half tank or less, there is likely a leak in the fuel pickup piping. I'm guessing duckbill or mixing chamber if stock, compression fitting if modded.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
A well done Hutch/Harpoon mod, good pre-pump filter/strainer like a Racor, and a stock Bosch pump is all I'd ever recommend on any of these trucks, regardless of ranch or race duty.

And one fine day I'll take my own advise and get that cheap azz Fram filter off there and put the Racor on the bench into service.

If air is getting into the fuel and making the engine sound different at half tank or less, there is likely a leak in the fuel pickup piping. I'm guessing duckbill or mixing chamber if stock, compression fitting if modded.
You would guess wrong, as my truck has none of those things. I have a sump type bowl on the bottom of my tank. I am not sucking air from any fittings.

As I have said several times lately, doing the hutch mod only prevents air from being sucked in via the stock quick connect fitting. It does not do anything at all about the air that is naturally en-trained into the fuel via sloshing, etc...
Numerous credible source ( including Caterpillar, Racor, and Cummins) have concluded that typical pump diesel contains AT LEAST 10% air in solution. Diesel is more viscous then gas. It tends to trap air. This only gets worse as the fuel level in the tank gets lower, and as the fuel is sloshed around the tank. Fuel being returned back from the engine also contributes, as it splashes into the "pool".

Watch the video on the AirDog site:
How AirDog® Works - Fuel Filtration Delivery System Improves Diesel Engine Performance
See how tiny bubbles get put into the fuel via sloshing, and notice how they tend to stay.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:04 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Going to order a stock pump and go with a pre-assembled hutch mod kit. I'll knock out the harpoon mod at the same time.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-266...By=3&pagenum=2

Dropping the tank, cleaning it out and installing this should set me up for long time of reliability.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:17 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by Quick444
Going to order a stock pump and go with a pre-assembled hutch mod kit. I'll knock out the harpoon mod at the same time.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-266...By=3&pagenum=2

Dropping the tank, cleaning it out and installing this should set me up for long time of reliability.
Don't waste your money. Aside from the filter/base, there is about $20 worth of hardware/fittings. You can make that stuff yourself, with brake line and brass fittings from the auto parts store.
A Racor PS-120 pre-pump water remover/strainer is about $60, and it has a clear bowl so you can see what's happening.

But really, at this point, if you're willing to spend $200 for that kit, why not spend a little more to get the AirDog?
The 150GPH AirDog 1(10psi. Feeds a stock pump) should come with a high volume suction tube, which replaces the whole factory pickup. That's most of the hutch mod right there, plus you still get the AirDog.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:40 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by carguy3j
Don't waste your money. Aside from the filter/base, there is about $20 worth of hardware/fittings. You can make that stuff yourself, with brake line and brass fittings from the auto parts store.
A Racor PS-120 pre-pump water remover/strainer is about $60, and it has a clear bowl so you can see what's happening.

But really, at this point, if you're willing to spend $200 for that kit, why not spend a little more to get the AirDog?
The 150GPH AirDog 1(10psi. Feeds a stock pump) should come with a high volume suction tube, which replaces the whole factory pickup. That's most of the hutch mod right there, plus you still get the AirDog.
Its a good point about fittings and hardware, just feeling quite lazy at this point in the evening.

I tried to google search the hell out of the air dog setups and I began to find thread suggesting that such a kit doesn't make sense on the 7.3s with a HEUI fuel system. It was easier to find people suggesting it was a bad idea over people who spoke well of it.

Maybe I'm just not finding the right information to sell me on it.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
Regardless of injection style, air in fuel injectors and/or fuel pumps is not good, and it doesn't matter if it's a HEUI or a common rail injection system.

The AirDog video demonstration is really impressive, but I have one major problem with it. It overstates (exaggerates) the entrained air problem in our vehicles, and that simply means that the level of improvement is not as great as their demonstrator indicates. I'm NOT saying it's not a really good system or that it doesn't make a valuable improvement... just that no one should walk around thinking that our fuel system is pushing that much entrained air into our pumps and injectors!

You see, the AirDog demonstrator's return line is thrusting the returned fuel flow downward into the tank from above the liquid surface and is therefore "deliberately" (by design) churning up a lot of turbulence and causing a lot of air entrainment. In comparison, our fuel return system injects the return fuel flow below liquid surface, and once the internal screens are gone, any and all entrained air gets directed away from the fuel pickup foot. I would love to see them (AirDog) put an extension tube on the return line so that it discharges near the bottom of the tank to show more of what our system really looks like! Who knows, that one step (discharging below liquid level) might just remove enough entrained air to show a significantly lower level of air which would indicate a potentially significantly reduced benefit from their system!?

That said, it is highly impressive that the AirDog removes as much entrained air as it does in the exaggerated scenario designed into the demonstrator!

Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Well, after several different wave lengths of what I should do, I went with a new stock pump, with Riffraff's hutch mod and pickup screen. I'll figure out a filtration system at the time of install.