1023 diesel tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
That is a hard choice really.

After driving the truck for over 3 years on the GH tunes, I would have to say those are my favorite tunes. This is only because I am used to how the throttle responds, manual shift points in the RPM band and the predictability.

Rewind 3 years, if I had started with 1023 tunes I would say the medium tow tune. This would be because I would have learned how to drive the truck on those tunes and be just fine.

I really think that if I had started with 1023 and then tried another flavor of tunes like GH, I may have thought that GH sent me the wrong tunes. The truck does well on the 1023 tunes, but it does better for me on the GH tunes only because that is what I am used to.

I hope this makes sense.
It makes sense to me and that would be a common thing with a lot of things in life. Whatever you are used to is what you will stick with unless something throws you off of it. What that tells me is that they might be a little different but both are working well for you.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Here is my quick update on 1023 tunes after towing 2100 to Colorado and back.

Dusty has it figured out. It was nice to set the cruise and go.

I ran the Medium and light tune with my SXE turbo and 35 in tires towing a 10K toy hauler. I ran mostly in 3rd gear at 62 mph the whole trip. EGTs were 900 degrees on the flats and 98% of all hills being pulled were 1100 degrees or lower. Boost while pulling hills were between 15 and 20 pounds. again, all in 3rd gear. It was awesome to be able to accelerate up hills and not back out of them due to EGTs. Dusty's tunes are very predictable and made the trip that much more enjoyable.

There were 3 hills that I pulled in 2nd gear and that was due to the lack of hitting with speed and or 20 mph hair pin turns. One of these hill climbs was at 8K to 10K foot of elevation. Again, no issues.

There were a few times I tried the PHP server tow tunes and they ran 100 degrees hotter. Thank God for the ability to switch tunes on the fly.

When I got to Colorado, I sent a text to Dusty about the successful tow with his tunes. I had a shift question and he jumped on a call with me and I had a tweaked tune in less then an hour.

Like I said, Dusty has it figured out. Great job my friend and thank you!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Akcooper9, I know we have discussed this, but can you tell the other interested FTE'rs what the trucks RPM's were around 62 MPH in 3rd gear? I know where my RPM's are at, but I have stock sized tires on my truck.

As we all know, RPM/engine speed can make a big difference in the way a truck handles a heavy towing load.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:40 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Akcooper9, I know we have discussed this, but can you tell the other interested FTE'rs what the trucks RPM's were around 62 MPH in 3rd gear? I know where my RPM's are at, but I have stock sized tires on my truck.

As we all know, RPM/engine speed can make a big difference in the way a truck handles a heavy towing load.
Around 2200 RPMs. Highest RPMs I saw were 2400. MPG on this trip was 9.5-10.5 depending on if I was running into the wind.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
A quick update to my opinions and observations on the 1023 tunes.

I asked for the "medium tow and daily drive" tune to be reworked for my own personal preferences. What I mean by that is the tune was a bit too much throttle up front for my tastes. Others may think it was just fine, but for me there was too much throttle input early on in the pedal stroke. Dusty sent me some revised tunes a couple of weeks ago and just today I had the chance to check them out while also ops checking my Torque Pro configurations to make sure everything was working as intended before moving onto Forscan Lite to get it set up.

I did not do any data logging, but will in the future before and after the SX-E install that I have going on soon.

Some readings I took with my glance-o-meter (looking at the gauges quickly while watching the road) during some near WOT (80-90% throttle) runs unloaded while going down country roads. I don't typically take my truck above ~75% throttle, but for the sake of testing the updated tunes I figured it would be OK.

- FIPW would blip just above 3.0 when going to near full throttle quickly. The highest I saw was 3.7 and that was for a split second. Most of the time FIPW was 3.0 - 2.5 when pushing the engine hard
- Boost was ~25-28 PSI
- EGT's were well below 1200, but this was unloaded and burst moments of speed

The updated tunes are much more to my liking in regards to driving style. I would say that up until about 30-40% throttle it acts a lot like a stock tune does, but then the power kicks in at a much more linear pace when going above that. I learned to drive my truck on Gear Head tunes, which act a lot like this, so when I tried the 1023 tunes mentioned above, I was having a hard time with them. If I had an automatic, I think things would have been different and I may have like the original, but with my driving style and ZF6 transmission, I prefer the way they are now.

The truck idles differently than the GH tunes. It is difficult to describe. I would not say it is louder or quieter, just a different tone coming out of the exhaust and sitting in the truck.

The truck seems to run a bit more smooth, and is definitely a bit quieter while cruising at 55 MPH or so. I recently replaced the insulator boot and gear shift boot on my truck, so some of this new found silence may have come from that too. My wife and I have no problems at all carrying on a conversation at normal volumes while running down the road at 55 MPH.

We will be going camping again in a couple of weeks and I plan to run the 1023 tune when we set out on that trip. Although, I don't have the SX-E installed yet, so I will be keeping an eye on EGT's and how hard the truck is working vs. the GH heavy tow tune that I normally use. I don't want to push it too hard, but if I feel there is too much going on with the 1023 medium tow and daily drive tune I will simply bump the Hydra down to the GH heavy tow until I get the SX-E installed.

I am very happy with the 1023 tunes since the update.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Used the 1023 medium tow tune all the way home today for 300 miles and the tune made the truck run like a beast. No slowing going up hills where there was before on the GH tunes. Keep in mind this is low country South Carolina hills, so not grades or mountains of any sort. We are headed to the mountains of TN and Smokey Mountain National park soon, so I will have a chance to really push the EGT's and 1023 tunes then.

I wish I had tried or had this tune a long time ago...

I am really looking forward to what the SXE can do in-conjunction with the 1023 tunes. I bet I will be laughing every time I see a 6.7 on the road.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:13 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I bet I will be laughing every time I see a 6.7 on the road.
I hope so.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:26 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I'm still new to the 6.7. But with my experience thus far it will take a lot more than good tunes with a 7.3 to trigger a laugh at a 6.7. And yes.. I have towed with a 6.7 and a 7.3. I have both.
Sorry.. I couldn't resist. 😁

Old 08-31-2018, 05:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Well I'm still new to the 6.7. But with my experience thus far it will take a lot more than good tunes to trigger a laugh at a 6.7.
Sorry.. I couldn't resist. 😁
I guess my laughter will be more geared toward the money I didn't spend, or am not spending each month to drive a 6.7 Powerstroke that the bank owns. I know they are incredible trucks and if I were to get a newer model diesel, it would be the 6.7 Powerstroke. Although, I just cannot bring myself to pay for the prices they are asking and when they do become affordable, who knows what work will need to be done and by who.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:04 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess my laughter will be more geared toward the money I didn't spend, or am not spending each month to drive a 6.7 Powerstroke that the bank owns. I know they are incredible trucks and if I were to get a newer model diesel, it would be the 6.7 Powerstroke. Although, I just cannot bring myself to pay for the prices they are asking and when they do become affordable, who knows what work will need to be done and by who.
I knew where you were going with it. Yes.. The cost factor. I kept my 7.3, it's been paid for for 10 years and still in very good condition. But we wanted to upgrade and the comfort meter with the Lariat is through the roof. But I did all the homework possible and barring a few small issues the 6.7 is a very solid platform. (fingers crossed).

Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SDK has been mentioned a few times as well, jury is still out though just like with 1023 Tuning.
I will only run and offer SDK tuning, been running Dans tunes for almost 2 years now.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Everyone still happy with these?

Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM
SCStroker01
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m very happy with my tunes from 1023. Dusty spent hours on the phone with me for just three tunes. I’m averaging 11.5 miles per gallon, pulling a 11,000 pound 40 foot travel trailer. Other’s maybe hater’s, but I AM a fan!

Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Everyone still happy with these?
I use PHP 65HP Performance, but that is only because the tow and daily driver from 1023 don't feed the SXE turbo enough fuel with stock injectors. I have 1023 Street Shredder and Cummins Killer, but they are the old style tunes and the throttle response is WAAAAAY to fast for my liking. Maybe if I were 30 years younger and liked to race, but I am not...

I also prefer the way PHP tunes make my truck idle. It feels, sounds and seems more smooth.

I ran 1023 for a couple years though with my MST and was very happy with them. But, with the SXE I needed more fuel and I can attain that by bigger injectors or by swapping tunes. I swapped tunes...

Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
My truck seems to have mystery flash on it now, i just want a mild tune with good trans tune that gets good fuel mpg, a high idle tune and a heavy tow tune. What would yall recommend?

I dont care for more power, ive had hot p-pump 24v, 5.9 common rails, 6.7 commons rails and my current 6.7 ford. Im over excessive power

Quick Reply: 1023 diesel tuning