Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1023 diesel tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
1023 diesel tuning

In my search for new tunes for my hydra, I stumbled upon 1023 diesel. Normally I wouldn't consider a company that isn't well known/doesn't have many reviews. However, what got my attention was that RiffRaff diesel sells their tunes. So I looked up 1023 on facebook, and have read nothing but good things about them. I will be purchasing one or two of their tunes tomorrow and will give a report once I receive the tune(s). If anybody has any experience with 1023 or any other tuner that isn't as well known, feel free to chime in!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Subscribed...

Everything or everyone is new at one point, if Clay supports them then there is a good chance you will be happy.

Which tunes did you select?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I talked with them on facebook a little and will likely buy a few after I get a laptop. Right now I need to borrow one and install the hydraflash every time I want to change something.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Subscribing.

I also saw them on Clay's website which piqued my interest. Looking forward to your impressions of their tuning as this is the first time I've heard of them.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
@Quick444 seems to know a little about them.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Jo7.3
In my search for new tunes for my hydra, I stumbled upon 1023 diesel. Normally I wouldn't consider a company that isn't well known/doesn't have many reviews. However, what got my attention was that RiffRaff diesel sells their tunes. So I looked up 1023 on facebook, and have read nothing but good things about them. I will be purchasing one or two of their tunes tomorrow and will give a report once I receive the tune(s). If anybody has any experience with 1023 or any other tuner that isn't as well known, feel free to chime in!
1023 is slowly becoming highly reputable especially in the social media platforms of the 7.3 communities. Clay just recently started carrying their tunes, which should re-iterate this. Dusty Hogate and his partner (forget his name now) know their stuff and have the customer service to boot also. I think you will be very happy if you use them.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Once I saw that RiffRaff sold them, I immediately bought four of the tunes (Heavy Tow, Econo, Street Shredder, Cummins Killer). I've been using them since 10/24 and this included a towing trip with the 5th wheel. They are much better than both the PHP and GH custom tunes in my application. They idle better, provide better towing shift and TC lockup behavior, less smokey by a lot and just run better all around. I will say that I did have to buy the RR boost limiter device and went ahead and included a new map sensor as they don't program the overboost codes out. With the SXE Turbo, I was blasting the MAP sensor with 40psi easily setting off the overboost codes. Discussing with Clay, he feels it's not a good strategy to do so in tunes and better to use the boost limiter. Whatever works IMO and these definitely do. Very happy with them overall.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SRBF150
Once I saw that RiffRaff sold them, I immediately bought four of the tunes (Heavy Tow, Econo, Street Shredder, Cummins Killer). I've been using them since 10/24 and this included a towing trip with the 5th wheel. They are much better than both the PHP and GH custom tunes in my application. They idle better, provide better towing shift and TC lockup behavior, less smokey by a lot and just run better all around. I will say that I did have to buy the RR boost limiter device and went ahead and included a new map sensor as they don't program the overboost codes out. With the SXE Turbo, I was blasting the MAP sensor with 40psi easily setting off the overboost codes. Discussing with Clay, he feels it's not a good strategy to do so in tunes and better to use the boost limiter. Whatever works IMO and these definitely do. Very happy with them overall.
I assume you use Econo as a daily driver and heavy tow for pulling the trailer?

What are your thoughts on the Street Shredder and Cummins Killer, are they too hot for daily driving?

Do you have a high idle tune from GH or PHP that you use still?

Do you use any older tunes (other than 1023) still? If I were to try them, I would probably get the high idle redone by GH for new injectors and get a daily driver and heavy tow from 1023. No need really for hot tunes, but if they are daily tunes with hot names, that is something different.

This will be a tough side by side comparison because of your S364.5, but your words will at least give us some indication (as they have already) of what 1023 is all about.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I decided to try one of the 1023 tunes since Riffraff Diesel started carrying them as well. Given Clay's experience with the Powerstroke platform I figure if it is good enough for him to offer, there must be something to it. So far I am very happy with the shifting and how smooth the power is and I run the Street Shredder tune only. Tuning is a fickle thing, and even good tunes can run great on one truck and not on another, but at least on mine I am very happy so far.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Peter, thanks for chiming in.

Jo7.3, I added some reps to your name because this was a great idea for a thread and will lead to many FTE members learning a lot from it.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Dusty.1023Diesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am glad to see this!

I our goal is to build lenier, clean and economical files. Im happy to see that is the general outcome!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 PM
sean23johnson
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great information. Looking forward to hearing more responses. I am in need of upgrading my old tunes.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 PM
UcaN
Senior User
I guess i will be trying some of their tunes, since GH was never able to fix my erratic idle. I just got tired of going back and forth with emails and no resolution (with Matt, mind you).

Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
Thanks for the reps Sous . I still haven't ordered the tunes yet, the soybean harvest just started for the farm I work on. Work plus getting ready for finals at school has got me pretty wore out by the end of the day lol. When I do get around to ordering them, I will be going with Medium tow, Daily Economy, and probably Street Shredder as it does state it's still clean enough to daily drive in. One question I do have for dusty is: Since my truck is an early 99 with a build date of 3/98, when I order the tunes off of riffraff, I'm assuming I pick 1998 for model year? I'm also guessing that the year doesn't matter THAT much, as long as I give you the right pcm code? Really looking forward to getting these tunes

Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Dusty.1023Diesel
New User
Originally Posted by Jo7.3
Thanks for the reps Sous . I still haven't ordered the tunes yet, the soybean harvest just started for the farm I work on. Work plus getting ready for finals at school has got me pretty wore out by the end of the day lol. When I do get around to ordering them, I will be going with Medium tow, Daily Economy, and probably Street Shredder as it does state it's still clean enough to daily drive in. One question I do have for dusty is: Since my truck is an early 99 with a build date of 3/98, when I order the tunes off of riffraff, I'm assuming I pick 1998 for model year? I'm also guessing that the year doesn't matter THAT much, as long as I give you the right pcm code? Really looking forward to getting these tunes
You got it! Year is less important, I will just need your Mods, and PCM code.
E99s are actually the biggest success we have had i would say. We have calibrations that work really well for them now. Those are some finicky buggers

Quick Reply: 1023 diesel tuning