Headlights... I need em - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Headlights... I need em

Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Junior User

jmo1112 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headlights... I need em

I have an '04 E350 passenger van with some pretty poor performing headlights. They are NOT the sealed beam. I'm pretty sure I put Silverstars in them last year, but got minimal improvement. I feel like I've read so many headlight threads on here that I have information overload, which makes my decision harder.

My lenses are a bit yellowed. Should I just get new lenses (pretty cheap on eBay) and new Silverstars, or should I get the clear lens (like these eBay ones)? Or should I get e-codes? And then which bulbs? Would simply a new harness help me out?

I need help...
Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Posting Guru

jayro88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To start with I would replace the lenses, or atleast clean them up with one of those kits they sell at the autoparts store. I relay harness will allow for your bulbs to get full voltage etc and is a good idea depending on your bulb choice.

You could always try different bulbs as well (LEDs etc), but you need to be extra careful with them since you may have to adjust the headlight angle to not blind people.

I recently switched from sealed beams to Hella Lenses with LED bulbs. It required a bit of angle adjustment afterwards since the lenses were originally designed for halogens, not LEDs. overall it has worked well and I haven't had any real complaints from friends that have passed me on the road at night.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Senior User

jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replace the old headlamp/lens assemblies, the internal reflectors get corroded and the lens' yellow as you mentioned. I found a new pair with SAE lens pattern on ebay for $40 and the output with good lamps was superb!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM
New User

VansFormer is starting off with a positive reputation.
vantageoptics.com
Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
The ebay replacement lenses don't last as long as the ones that came on the van, I know, helped someone get some once, and any cleaner that promises to bring the finish back removed the protective coating. I think I have the silverstar in my 99, the housings still are clear on it tho, what I did later on was to put some small driving lights under the bumper, they spread out up close, covering what the headlamps miss, it's the best of both worlds.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
I walked out and looked at mine. I got some Hella's off ebay.
Excellent brand! I was always a Cibie' man myself.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Junior User

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think I'm gonna try some new lenses and try a relay harness. See where that gets me. Those Hellas do look great, though.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Junior User

Well crap. One more thing because I can't control myself...
Have y'all seen the lenses that have the LED DRL's built into them? Anyone have them? Are they ridiculous? Am I ridiculous for even being tempted by them?

Example:
These eBay ones
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1112 View Post
Well crap. One more thing because I can't control myself...
Have y'all seen the lenses that have the LED DRL's built into them? Anyone have them? Are they ridiculous? Am I ridiculous for even being tempted by them?

Example:
These eBay ones
Those look cool, but I read where a guy bought aftermarket housings and had issues with how they do not reflect the light on the road like the factory ones, it was all over.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maples01 View Post
Those look cool, but I read where a guy bought aftermarket housings and had issues with how they do not reflect the light on the road like the factory ones, it was all over.
That's why you should look for SAE approved lenses. You know, you can take some of the disappointment out of buying if you do your homework.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay View Post
That's why you should look for SAE approved lenses. You know, you can take some of the disappointment out of buying if you do your homework.
You just HAAAAD to talk about doing the responsible thing, didn't ya...
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
Junior User

I messaged a seller on eBay that has the clear Euro style that I like and asked if they were DOT and SAE approved, and they said yes they are. However, the listing only states this:

"Made by OEM approved & ISO certified manufacturers in materials that meet or exceed strict OEM requirements"

Sooo, I guess they are...?
Old Today, 04:45 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1112 View Post
I messaged a seller on eBay that has the clear Euro style that I like and asked if they were DOT and SAE approved, and they said yes they are. However, the listing only states this:

"Made by OEM approved & ISO certified manufacturers in materials that meet or exceed strict OEM requirements"

Sooo, I guess they are...?
Would be interesting to see how they work, I've lost my trust in sellers, and curious to see if the LEDs light the road, or just make good flood lights for use when parked.