Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Headlights... I need em (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515200-headlights-i-need-em.html)

jmo1112 11-09-2017 10:22 AM

Headlights... I need em

I have an '04 E350 passenger van with some pretty poor performing headlights. They are NOT the sealed beam. I'm pretty sure I put Silverstars in them last year, but got minimal improvement. I feel like I've read so many headlight threads on here that I have information overload, which makes my decision harder.

My lenses are a bit yellowed. Should I just get new lenses (pretty cheap on eBay) and new Silverstars, or should I get the clear lens (like these eBay ones)? Or should I get e-codes? And then which bulbs? Would simply a new harness help me out?

I need help...

wirelessengineer 11-10-2017 05:13 PM

First thing to do is to improve the current flow to the headlights, and take a load off the switch. Start by cleaning your connections, and don't forget the grounds. Then install a headlight relay harness.

jayro88 11-11-2017 07:22 AM

To start with I would replace the lenses, or atleast clean them up with one of those kits they sell at the autoparts store. I relay harness will allow for your bulbs to get full voltage etc and is a good idea depending on your bulb choice.

You could always try different bulbs as well (LEDs etc), but you need to be extra careful with them since you may have to adjust the headlight angle to not blind people.

I recently switched from sealed beams to Hella Lenses with LED bulbs. It required a bit of angle adjustment afterwards since the lenses were originally designed for halogens, not LEDs. overall it has worked well and I haven't had any real complaints from friends that have passed me on the road at night.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...213324243a.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...18fe3635b9.jpg

jeffreyclay 11-12-2017 06:42 AM

Replace the old headlamp/lens assemblies, the internal reflectors get corroded and the lens' yellow as you mentioned. I found a new pair with SAE lens pattern on ebay for $40 and the output with good lamps was superb!

VansFormer 11-13-2017 09:53 AM

vantageoptics.com

maples01 11-13-2017 04:46 PM

The ebay replacement lenses don't last as long as the ones that came on the van, I know, helped someone get some once, and any cleaner that promises to bring the finish back removed the protective coating. I think I have the silverstar in my 99, the housings still are clear on it tho, what I did later on was to put some small driving lights under the bumper, they spread out up close, covering what the headlamps miss, it's the best of both worlds.

jeffreyclay 11-14-2017 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by vettex2 (Post 17589374)
I walked out and looked at mine. I got some Hella's off ebay.

Excellent brand! I was always a Cibie' man myself.:-X06

jmo1112 11-20-2017 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think I'm gonna try some new lenses and try a relay harness. See where that gets me. Those Hellas do look great, though.

jmo1112 11-20-2017 05:34 PM

Well crap. One more thing because I can't control myself...
Have y'all seen the lenses that have the LED DRL's built into them? Anyone have them? Are they ridiculous? Am I ridiculous for even being tempted by them?

Example:
These eBay ones

maples01 11-20-2017 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jmo1112 (Post 17605090)
Well crap. One more thing because I can't control myself...
Have y'all seen the lenses that have the LED DRL's built into them? Anyone have them? Are they ridiculous? Am I ridiculous for even being tempted by them?

Example:
These eBay ones

Those look cool, but I read where a guy bought aftermarket housings and had issues with how they do not reflect the light on the road like the factory ones, it was all over.

jeffreyclay 11-20-2017 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by maples01 (Post 17605195)
Those look cool, but I read where a guy bought aftermarket housings and had issues with how they do not reflect the light on the road like the factory ones, it was all over.

That's why you should look for SAE approved lenses. You know, you can take some of the disappointment out of buying if you do your homework.:-banghead

jmo1112 11-20-2017 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyclay (Post 17605268)
That's why you should look for SAE approved lenses. You know, you can take some of the disappointment out of buying if you do your homework.:-banghead

You just HAAAAD to talk about doing the responsible thing, didn't ya...

jmo1112 11-20-2017 09:51 PM

I messaged a seller on eBay that has the clear Euro style that I like and asked if they were DOT and SAE approved, and they said yes they are. However, the listing only states this:

"Made by OEM approved & ISO certified manufacturers in materials that meet or exceed strict OEM requirements"

Sooo, I guess they are...?

maples01 11-21-2017 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by jmo1112 (Post 17605605)
I messaged a seller on eBay that has the clear Euro style that I like and asked if they were DOT and SAE approved, and they said yes they are. However, the listing only states this:

"Made by OEM approved & ISO certified manufacturers in materials that meet or exceed strict OEM requirements"

Would be interesting to see how they work, I've lost my trust in sellers, and curious to see if the LEDs light the road, or just make good flood lights for use when parked.

wirelessengineer 11-21-2017 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jmo1112 (Post 17605605)

I guess they are not.

Statements about the quality of the manufacturing process (which is what ISO certification is) do not in any way imply that the product has met any regulatory requirements.

If they were DOT approved, they would say so, loudly.