fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work so far.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:35 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Looking good! I like the way you mounted the Racor, avoiding drilling the frame.

Gatorade bottle, eh? Does your truck run better with "Electrolytes" ? .

Very creative, indeed!

Keep up the pics and good ideas

Old 12-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

So we got the upgrades started on Saturday. I really wanted to do the work myself but I also wanted/ NEEDED the truck done quickly because registration and Emissions were technically due at the end of November. Colorado gives us a free month so I'm taking advantage of it. I asked Nik to give me a hand with the work so we could get the truck running ASAP plus he has a lift and shop.
After pulling the turbo it was obvious that it had not been touched since the factory but overall everything looked good for a 17 year old truck w/ 373K miles.
The only issue we ran into was the trust collar didn't seem to fit properly, when everything was tightened up the shaft wouldn't turn. Everything looked identical but it didn't fit right. So we transferred the stepped gap turbine end seal ring over to the original thrust collar and everything worked perfectly. I'm not sure if this was something to do with the E99 or just a fluke but we adapted and got it assembled. To be continued....

Turbine side didn't look too bad.
I'm not sure if this is the actual wheel we took off but mine was actually in very good shape for being the original wheel.

SPT Turbo wheel installed and turbo reassembled.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Once the turbo was done we pulled the baby's butt and up pipes. The passenger side pipe literally fell to the ground and the drivers side came out with the collector attached. And that's where the fun started...the bolts were not thrilled about coming out of their home for 17 years. The last one definitely demonstrated that it was a teenager. We tempted it with PB Blaster, threatened it with heat and finally resorted to brute force. It broke and so did our hopes of finishing the project on Saturday. Several heat, PB cycles and drilling it out proved futile so off to buy a new one.
Nik found one in Denver for around $150. I stopped at Phil Long here Colorado Springs and they had 1 one the shelf for a E99. Now I suggest you sit down here, are y'all sitting down? They wanted $223 for the damn thing!
Ummm NO! I told them I can get it shipped 2 day air for less than they wanted for the part. He said if you can prove it I'll match the price. I showed them Clay's price and he about passed out. ​​​​​​​ We ​​​​​​​ over a price and I ended up getting it for $129 OTD! ​​​​​​​

I got the part to Nik and he's going to work on it a bit this week. Temperatures are forecasted to be single digits with snow coming on Thursday so I'm thankful for the shop. More to come in the future...

Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
No bellowed up pipes this trip?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
They're going on but I had to replace the Collector before we could proceed... After reading about the turbine side of the turbo being more important than the compressor side I'm having second thoughts about not buying the turbine/shaft combo from SP Turbo too. Honestly, I didn't even think about it. Especially after checking it was only another $90. I really hate hindsight sometimes!

Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
You made sure the collar seal was sitted all the way on the back plate?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by z31freakify
You made sure the collar seal was sitted all the way on the back plate?
Yup, Nik tried multiple times. The original one sat slightly above it, the new sat flush. You could hear the ring snap into place too.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:54 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Contact Kevin and let him know, about the problem

Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Contact Kevin and let him know, about the problem
Ok, Adam, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Well, I called Kevin regarding the issue we had. The Customer Service was OUTSTANDING! I tried to make sure I was using The proper terminology so we are both on the same page, he was exceptionally understanding and listened to the issue. He explained everything in a way that even a novice can understand.
He explained there should be no difference between the E99 and the L99 regarding backing plate. And his part should fit without an issue. He also said the only concern for possible issue would be that if both parts wore down and now they will only mate together.
He immediately said he would send out a new thrust collar and bearing just in case there was an issue with his parts, And they should be here Friday, within minutes I got a tracking number. The turbo is still out of the truck so it won't be hard to disassemble and try again. He was also adamant that the 360* bearing and collar are worth the hassle of trying again. So looking like it'll be a few more days...

Old 12-20-2017, 03:03 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I can only post 1 picture per post sorry for multiple posts.

So I had some 3x3 angle I cut a piece about 10" long. I also used a 2" square U bolt and I put the "plate" that normally goes by the nut on the front of the filter. I did this to help distribute the force on the filter housing.
The issue that arose was there are no holes in the lip of the Frame rail. So I cut another 3" piece of angle.
Hmmm that looks strangly similar to how I did it in my original Racor write up (plate in front instead of back).... however I installed mine horizontal not vertical. JK I know you installed it right.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Thats why I kept going with Kevin for turbo rebuilds, customer service is superb, hes a great guy to deal with.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:50 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colorado350
[left]
The only issue we ran into was the trust collar didn't seem to fit properly, when everything was tightened up the shaft wouldn't turn. Everything looked identical but it didn't fit right. So we transferred the stepped gap turbine end seal ring over to the original thrust collar and everything worked perfectly. I'm not sure if this was something to do with the E99 or just a fluke but we adapted and got it assembled. To be continued....
When I rebuilt my turbo a few years ago, also with the SPT 360kit, and with a new WW2, I had a similar problem. Went to put everything together, and as soon as the wheel got even finger snug, everything locked up solid.
I called DieselSite and SPT for tech support, just to be sure I was putting everything in right. Although they were both very helpful, they weren't able to offer any solution. I took everything apart again. I found a TINY, less then paper thin itty bitty little flake of carbon under the thrust bearing. I breathed a little too hard and it flew away. Seriously, that's how insignificant it was. I put it back together again, not really expecting that the little flake could have actually caused the problem. Sure enough, it now went to together perfect and the shaft/wheel spun like butter. Its been in the truck ever since.

So, the moral of the story..... Take it back apart and make sure it is absolutely perfectly "operating-room" clean.

Personally, I also used plenty of engine assembly lube on all rotating surfaces, instead of just relying on some engine oil.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:51 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carguy3j
When I rebuilt my turbo a few years ago, also with the SPT 360kit, and with a new WW2, I had a similar problem. Went to put everything together, and as soon as the wheel got even finger snug, everything locked up solid.
I called DieselSite and SPT for tech support, just to be sure I was putting everything in right. Although they were both very helpful, they weren't able to offer any solution. I took everything apart again. I found a TINY, less then paper thin itty bitty little flake of carbon under the thrust bearing. I breathed a little too hard and it flew away. Seriously, that's how insignificant it was. I put it back together again, not really expecting that the little flake could have actually caused the problem. Sure enough, it now went to together perfect and the shaft/wheel spun like butter. Its been in the truck ever since.

So, the moral of the story..... Take it back apart and make sure it is absolutely perfectly "operating-room" clean.

Personally, I also used plenty of engine assembly lube on all rotating surfaces, instead of just relying on some engine oil.
Thanks for the suggestion. Nik is going to pull it apart tonight and see if we missed something. He thinks there is a difference between e99 and L99...

Quick Reply: Upgrades are here!