FORscan for Android Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
GlennSwett
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FORscan for Android Getting Started

Note:
1. For 1999 Fords and earlier the cheap $10 OBDII dongles do not work, go to Amazon, “
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices “for about $22 dollars. This is what I am using in my 1997 and 1999 F350 7.3 trucks and no problems, I have three other cheap dongles that are not even good for a paper weight."><b><span style=BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices “for about $22 dollars. This is what I am using in my 1997 and 1999 F350 7.3 trucks and no problems, I have three other cheap dongles that are not even good for a paper weight." /> BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices “for about $22 dollars. This is what I am using in my 1997 and 1999 F350 7.3 trucks and no problems, I have three other cheap dongles that are not even good for a paper weight.">BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices “for about $22 dollars. This is what I am using in my 1997 and 1999 F350 7.3 trucks and no problems, I have three other cheap dongles that are not even good for a paper weight.

2. My 1997 F350 had a tag that said the vehicle was not OBDII compliant but it had a OBDII DLC (Data Link Connector mounted just to the left of the passenger). It is not fully OBDII compliant but it does support many OBFII functions."><b><span style=2. My 1997 F350 had a tag that said the vehicle was not OBDII compliant but it had a OBDII DLC (Data Link Connector mounted just to the left of the passenger). It is not fully OBDII compliant but it does support many OBFII functions." /> 2. My 1997 F350 had a tag that said the vehicle was not OBDII compliant but it had a OBDII DLC (Data Link Connector mounted just to the left of the passenger). It is not fully OBDII compliant but it does support many OBFII functions.">2. My 1997 F350 had a tag that said the vehicle was not OBDII compliant but it had a OBDII DLC (Data Link Connector mounted just to the left of the passenger). It is not fully OBDII compliant but it does support many OBFII functions.
WARNING: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, start up FORscan while you are driving/engine running, it will, during initialization, shut your engine down."><span style=WARNING: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, start up FORscan while you are driving/engine running, it will, during initialization, shut your engine down." /> WARNING: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, start up FORscan while you are driving/engine running, it will, during initialization, shut your engine down.">WARNING: Do not, I repeat DO NOT, start up FORscan while you are driving/engine running, it will, during initialization, shut your engine down.

OK here we go:
Step 1 – Insert the BAFX dongle into the OBDII – DLC
Step 2 – Turn ignition on, Do no start the engine. KOEO
A red light should come on on the dongle if not check the fuse (in my 97 it is F17, fuse panel under the steering wheel at the very top.
Step 3 – Select FORscan on your android device
The lights on the dongle should start flashing, if not you may have to go to your settings and turn on and pair up your Bluetooth.
Your android screen should start printing information that identifies your vehicle and set up. If you get something else that means you are probably in the demo mod, you will have to go to Settings and switch off Demo.
NOTE: At this point FORscan is connected <-> dongle <-> DLC <-> PCM (your trucks computer).
OK because we are in the KOEO mode we can go look at some data that is not dynamic and requires the engine to be running,
Step 4 – Select Table
At the top of your android screen you will see the following:
· A black Arrow which means you are not recording any data, this will tur into a black square when you are recording, but first you have to select some PIDs
· A gear, selecting this will show you which PIDs you have selected, which is none at this time.
· D facing up – you can select this to go between Demo and Real data, If there is a “X” in the middle of the “D” then you are in the real data mode
Select the Gear (*) this will show you which PIDs you have selected, which is none.
NOTE: at some point you will get a pop-up box and you need to select “PCM” not OBDII.
Step 5 - Select the “+” this will give you a list of all the PCM PIDs you can select.
Step 6 - Select the PIDs you want to look at by taping the little box to the left of the description, check mark will appear when selected. To read a detailed description of the PID select the arrow to the right of the description.
Note: if you go to the detail description to return to selecting PIDs, and you get an error message “You must complete the operation” all you have to do is hit the Return Arrow on your android, this is true any time you get this message.
Step 7 – Hit the return arrow on your android, this will take you back to showing which PIDs you have selected.
Step 8 – Hit the return arrow (again) and you will be back to the Table.
At this point you will see the PIDs you have selected but no data.
Step 9 – Select the black arrow, it will turn into a black square and you will be recording data.
Note: To now go to dynamic data ie, KOER, first select the PIDs then turn the engine On.

I hope this helps, disclaimer – some of this was done from very shaky note and may not be 100% accurate.
Any question do not hesitate to ask, if I do not know I will find out.
I have used Torque and Car Gauge, and I just might like this better. Torque would not work on my 1997 F350 7.3, I do not know why?

Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
scanner to monitor your engine
Amazon Amazon
Torque Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque
Use the communication in the profile
SAE J1850-PWM
make sure you add in Ford PIDs

Works well on my 95 F350

Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
GlennSwett
Senior User
Torque is good, well written and user interface is very good. I have not used it in a while but the one thing it did not have that FORscan does have is a Graphing feature. This is really great if you are troubleshooting HPOP problems. Also in Torque you could not do a Buzz Test. You can in Car Gauge but the user interface is terrible, not sur if you can do it in FORscan.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Jmac Const
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 94 7.3 turbo deisel what scanner will link up

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
The one I have listed should work if you don't have an IDI and your PCM has been flashed

Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 PM
GlennSwett
Senior User
Do you have a DLC connector? On my 97 it is just to the right of the ash tray ubder the dash. If you do this may provide some of the OBDII outputs, Not all OBDII dongles will work in the early Fords, see my comments above. So far the Forscan and Car Gauge work on my 97 and 99, I could not get Torque to work but I did not try very hard. Torque will work on my 99.