Sponsored by: DP Tuner

i think my fuel gelled up, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think my fuel gelled up, maybe?

Ran into some issues today with the truck. . . started just fine, about 33-35 degrees F out, did not plug it in, I had to get fuel at a different station then I usually do for the winter so I doubt I have winter blend, did not add anything to the fuel cuz the place I usually get it at doesnt need it for the temps I have.
turned right over same as always after the WTS light went off, I know, Im just saying about how long I let the GPs go.
anyways, started on my merry way and made it about 3-400 ft and it just died. No choking or gasping for fuel, it just died right under me. Tried to restart with no luck, already 30 minutes late for work I ran back to the house and grabbed a different vehicle (which proceeded to develop a coolant issue and shut off on my way to work almost exactly the same lol)
Anyways, I threw some 911 in there, and just to double check I dont need to put it in the filter housing cuz of the bowl heater right? I plugged the batteries in and put the block heater on. Left all that for about an hour and still nothing.
I did notice when I turned the key that the wipers went up a little and got stuck, I assume I left them on from the day before either that or a kid was playing with them. The selector was on the first or low setting, and when I went to turn it off thats about when the truck died.
Does it sound like something else could be messed up or do I just need to let the heater run a while longer? Figuring on going out and seeing if it warmed up at all and looking at the fuses here in a bit

forgot to mention, wasnt smoking when I started it this morning and it didnt smoke when I tried to start it again

Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
How low were you? Maybe it got topped off with the wrong fuel. I here some stations have green handles that aren't diesel in some areas. Shouldn't gel at that temp. Open the fuel drain, turn the key on and catch some fuel. If it don't pour out it could be a pump to, all other things working.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:23 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
It was for sure diesel, unless the pump was screwed up. Its on a semi fuel island but its the smaller diameter handle. I was sucking low ill tell ya that, my fuel gauge is broken but I usually get about 350 miles out of a tank and I was at 342, I put in 27 gallons (shortbed)

Yeah the BP has green handles for regular, I ALMOST screwed myself but I went to lift the lever and there was none lol. ... . . ...

I opened the drain and fuel came out, and what leaked into the valley didnt seem gelled.

I dont think its the pump because my fuel pressure perks right up and when it died it didnt stutter.

Also I tried a different tune didnt help

Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...werstroke.html

???? i got an extra maybe ill throw that on

Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...werstroke.html

???? i got an extra maybe ill throw that on
That's what I was thinking when you mentioned that wipers came into play. I doubt gelling at that temp as well and if you're getting fuel and fuel pressure that part is good. Any water come out that fuel bowl drain?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:52 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Definitely not gelling. You were very low, I am betting you sucked some junk from the bottom of the tank up on the pick-up foot although you ARE getting good fuel pressure, so maybe not. I would blow some compressed air back through the fuel lines firt (after removing the fuel cap) and see if that does anything.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That's what I was thinking when you mentioned that wipers came into play. I doubt gelling at that temp as well and if you're getting fuel and fuel pressure that part is good. Any water come out that fuel bowl drain?
Right, I automatically thought gel cuz last year if it was colder than 40F i had to plug in. But obviously a new GPR and GPs fixed that paired with new injectors.

It was dark out but I did drain some fuel out of the bowl. Wether or not there was water in there I couldnt tell ya. I had just replaced the filter a month or 2 ago

Originally Posted by HKusp
Definitely not gelling. You were very low, I am betting you sucked some junk from the bottom of the tank up on the pick-up foot although you ARE getting good fuel pressure, so maybe not. I would blow some compressed air back through the fuel lines firt (after removing the fuel cap) and see if that does anything.
I usually dont let myself get that low but stuff happens. . .

I definetly have crap in my fuel tank, fuel gauge works when it wants to, I been meaning to pull that dam tank off and do the hutch and whatnot to it. Just havent had a time where I dont need the truck soon enough to where I feel like I have time to pull it out. one of these days. . .

I had thought about that but I wasnt sure since the pump was able to get pressure up same as always. worth a try tho. I meant to go out there today but I fell asleep after I got home from work. SOOOO Ill get out there tomorrow afternoon and see if I cant get it going.

Random thought on the fuel thing. I drove it about 50 miles right after I filled up, used a hot street tune, and there was some highway driving on there. Now wouldnt I have had issues then if it was crap getting sucked into the lines? That was on the 23rd I believe.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:52 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Electrical issue.
Did you pull codes?
ICP and IPR while cranking?
Cranking RPM

Old 10-29-2017, 12:54 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by HD Rider
Electrical issue.
Did you pull codes?
ICP and IPR while cranking?
Cranking RPM
no codes.

about 500rpms on the crank.

have not checked icp/ipr yet

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
got it moving. replaced cps, no good. pulled the icp for funsies and that did the trick. who knew walmart electronic parts had such a lifetime lol.

anyways ill hit up clay tomorrow and get an ICP and a CPS

Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I had an ICP issue years ago, but it wasn't as harsh as yours. Mine would just idle funny sometimes and then it would smooth out. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by HKusp
I had an ICP issue years ago, but it wasn't as harsh as yours. Mine would just idle funny sometimes and then it would smooth out. Glad you got it figured out.
yeah thanks. ive only had 1 go out but it would kinda work then not. this one just said NOPE!