1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

front end noise that nobody can diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 PM
ThomasRowanJr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end noise that nobody can diagnose

I have a 96 OBS f250 7.3 with the twin I beam front end. For several months now i have had an intermediate loud clanking/clunking noise coming from somewhere in the front of the truck. It comes and goes but is very loud to the point where you can hear it over the sound off the engine and exhaust. It does it the most between 40-50mph especially if you are easing off the gas pedal. Once the noise starts, if you keep your foot on the gas the noise will continue but as soon as you let off the gas the noise will stop. It is a metallic sound like something metal is loose and is flapping around hitting something.

I have taken the truck to two different mechanics so far and neither of them have been able to diagnose what the noise is or where its coming from. Both mechanics checked everything possible (suspension wise and drivetrain wise) in the front end and could find nothing wrong. Hubs, bearings, u-joints, ball-joints, tie rod ends, etc..all checked out to be fine. First mechanic said if he had to guess, maybe the front leaf springs are loose and are slapping against each other while driving. Second mechanic said it sounds like the noise is possibly coming from the area underneath of the drivers seat and pointed towards a possible transfer-case problem.

I am ready to beat my head against the wall trying to figure out whats wrong with this thing. Any thoughts or info of what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Auto or Manual transmission?

If auto crackes flex plate

If manual the Dual Mass Flywheel is about to grenade and truck should not be used.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 PM
ThomasRowanJr
New User
The truck is auto

Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be a cracked flex plate.

Do you have an aftermarket down pipe? They can rub against the firewall and transmission if not enough clearance causing a heck of a metallic sound.

Tighten up your fender bolts. There is a piece of fiberglass type of material in between the fender and frame and it can flex causing a very loud clang or clunking sound. Very hard to locate, spent over $1500 in front end parts and no one could locate the noise. Mine were snug but not tight, tightened them down real good and noise was gone for good. Sounded like the front end was falling apart, even stopped a few times to check. A real head turner for sure.

Picture of those fender bolts ...

Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
x2 on those fender bolts!

Mine made noises when turning slow and stopped when I tightened those two bolts

Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 PM
ThomasRowanJr
New User
i will check fender bolts and see if that stops it. thanks!

Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had a clunk for a long time and after checking all the suspension bolts I was just living with it. Tightened the fender bolts and Walla! I feel like I'm cruising in a T-bird now.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Warpman89
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by ThomasRowanJr
I have a 96 OBS f250 7.3 with the twin I beam front end. For several months now i have had an intermediate loud clanking/clunking noise coming from somewhere in the front of the truck. It comes and goes but is very loud to the point where you can hear it over the sound off the engine and exhaust. It does it the most between 40-50mph especially if you are easing off the gas pedal. Once the noise starts, if you keep your foot on the gas the noise will continue but as soon as you let off the gas the noise will stop. It is a metallic sound like something metal is loose and is flapping around hitting something.

I have taken the truck to two different mechanics so far and neither of them have been able to diagnose what the noise is or where its coming from. Both mechanics checked everything possible (suspension wise and drivetrain wise) in the front end and could find nothing wrong. Hubs, bearings, u-joints, ball-joints, tie rod ends, etc..all checked out to be fine. First mechanic said if he had to guess, maybe the front leaf springs are loose and are slapping against each other while driving. Second mechanic said it sounds like the noise is possibly coming from the area underneath of the drivers seat and pointed towards a possible transfer-case problem.

I am ready to beat my head against the wall trying to figure out whats wrong with this thing. Any thoughts or info of what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
4x4?

If so, have you tried locking the hubs and driving like that?

Old 11-19-2017, 11:57 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ThomasRowanJr

Thank you
I HAD THIS SAME ISSUE. TOOK ME MONTHS TO FIND IT. After doing everything mentioned here and rebuilding everytuing. I found a bolt in between the oil pan and the frame cross.member under the pan. I Dont know how it got there but it was there. Put a wire or small rope over the cross member and pull it along the member inder the oil pan and make sure there is not something there.