Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best tuner out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Best tuner out there?

What tuners have you guys used? Tuners used to jack up the line pressure in the 4R100 which is why so many of us had to get our trannies rebuilt. Hopefully tuner makers learned from that.

Mostly, a 7.3 just needs a big exhaust, better airbox, healthy injectors...and MORE FUEL in order to make 280hp. But I hear the that powdered metal connecting rods go bye bye if you make much more than 300hp.

Does this match up with what you know, or have learned the hard way?

This one looks good.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
With a very brief search, you can find an endless supply of the talk on the latest tuners/chips - and it's not as controversial or visceral as it once was. It's now pretty much universally accepted that the Hydra is the "weapon of choice" here. This is opposed to the TS chip in your link - it is very old tech. If you need a tune added or changed, you have to yank it and ship it... leaving the truck in some anemic mode - or a jacked up mode if you have bigger injectors.

Hydra gets the tunes from email or the web, and changes to the tunes come fast. Hydra is almost as widely accepted as the TS, so you can have your choice of tuners available out there. In case that's a little confusing... a tuner is the guy who writes the tunes, and the chip or programmer is the hardware onto which the tunes go.

280-300 HP is completely doable with some air mods and a chip, but the 4R100 still need some help - even with stock power and tuning. There are aftermarket components and transmissions out there that allow the 4R100 to take a bigger beating without whining. I suggest those before chipping. I also suggest clicking the "custom tunes" link in my signature before chipping.

As we modify our trucks while approaching their second decade on the road, we do learn the limits of what's reasonable vs. what's asking for trouble. 400 HP is the "line of death" for the wallet and the engine. PMRs can take this just fine with proper tuning, and the mods aren't too radical... but 400 HP is a suspension bender. I had to install traction bars to save my driveline and associated components.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Stock PMT2 trans tuning is fine. You can have tuner move shift points for your driving style (i.e., your commute is 45mph and it downshifts at every rise in the road).

I have used tunes from several tuners. The one I've used the most has been less than great lately. The last few tunes I've gotten came from Dan K. I've been happy with his tunes and customer service.

The ONLY way to compare tunes is to run tunes from different tuners. You'll learn what you like and don't. You need gauges for adequate comparison.

You can start with stock files from PHP on hydra ($325 for chip and access to all PHP stock files). Other tuners can then email you files.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:17 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
I should have mentioned that my 4R100 was already beefed. Here in TX we have so many diesel pickups on the road that most tranny shops know already that beefing should be part of any rebuild.

My wife asks why the shifts are so firm and I just smile....

Old 10-10-2017, 08:53 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tugly
SNIP
Hydra gets the tunes from email or the web, and changes to the tunes come fast. Hydra is almost as widely accepted as the TS, so you can have your choice of tuners available out there. SNIP
Thanks for that good info. I just wonder why the Hydra is so expensive compared to the average price of competitors?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
I should have mentioned that my 4R100 was already beefed. Here in TX we have so many diesel pickups on the road that most tranny shops know already that beefing should be part of any rebuild.

My wife asks why the shifts are so firm and I just smile....
If 'firm' means it feels like a kick in the pants sometimes - that is not good either.

The stock shift is 100% ok. We want the transmission to 'grab' the next gear - not 'bang' into it. Too much 'firm' just increases wear on everything. I had a truck in the shop last week that had a rebuilt 4R100 that shifted way harder than needed. This is adjusted via the size of hole in the shift plate (accessible with pan/filter off).

I had to have BTS change this on my Excursion when I went to a smaller/lighter wheel and tire setup.

Hydra can be purchased for $325.

It is not 'better' as far as the truck runs, but has features that make the other hardware (TS6) obsolete. Email tunes, stays in tune when switcher is removed (i.e. No start, teenager/valet, etc) are among the features.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
If 'firm' means it feels like a kick in the pants sometimes - that is not good either.
Very subjective terminology.

One person's "kick in the pants" is another man's "You call that a shift?"

I know there is a point it can be too firm, but generally speaking the quicker the shift the less heat generated, plus it's better for the clutches.

Stewart

Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Very subjective terminology.

One person's "kick in the pants" is another man's "You call that a shift?"

I know there is a point it can be too firm, but generally speaking the quicker the shift the less heat generated, plus it's better for the clutches.

Stewart
Yes, WHS.

Most custom tunes do increase line pressure over stock to better handle the added engine power. But when it comes to the amount of pressure, it varies greatly. Some make it to were you need to wear a neck brace. Others you can barely feel the shift. Every driver likes it a different firmness as well. Ideally, you just want a nice pop into the next gear to get the shift over quickly.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot

Mostly, a 7.3 just needs a big exhaust, better airbox, healthy injectors...and MORE FUEL in order to make 280hp. But I hear the that powdered metal connecting rods go bye bye if you make much more than 300hp.
A little myth busting is in order.

Stock straight pipe exhaust will provide all the benefits of 'bigger exhaust'.

The stock air filter is more than adequate for stock injectors. The air box is a POS though and is prone to not being assembled correctly, getting broken and letting dirt past the filter. RDP's 6637 kit is a good option.

Stock injectors and everything else up to par and you can see 325hp with good tuning.

PMR's are not as strong as the earlier forged rods. But, people are getting away with up to 500hp using good tunes. Most would say 400hp is a 'safe' limit. This would be a bigger injector and turbo upgrade.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
SNIP

Ideally, you just want a nice pop into the next gear to get the shift over quickly.
Yes, I have that. But I still wonder why the Hydro tuner you recommend and sell costs double what others cost. Is it your claim that the IC you use costs that much more? PHP gets many hits in search engines. You market well.

Yes it beats the TS chip.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
But I still wonder why the Hydro tuner you recommend and sell costs double what others cost. I
Why do you keep saying that? It is not double. And it does not 'beat TS6' as far as how the truck runs....

Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I should point out that the Hydra comes with a whole library of tunes available to choose from, then you can pick & choose or call a different tuner to get what you like. TS chips used to be more expensive than they are now, but the price has plummeted to compete with the Hydra.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Why do you keep saying that? It is not double. And it does not 'beat TS6' as far as how the truck runs....
OK, $325/180 is not double. But it's a lot. We don't get wealthy by wasting money. That's all I meant.

As far as how the truck runs, you're saying the TS is about as good? I opened this thread hoping for feedback just like that. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:31 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a Hydra and let me write a tune for you and you'll have the worst running truck in history! Buy a TS6 and tunes from a reputable Tuner and it'll run good. Don't confuse the hardware and the software. The advantage of the Hydra is the ability to load tuning revisions without removing the hardware. With the TS6, you'll have to remove the chip and mail it off to get re-flashed. I haven't talked to anyone yet, who hasn't made some sort of adjustment to their tunes; weather it be a change in shift points, or to correct any other drivability concerns. I have no experience with the TS6, but from what I've read, the tuning that comes on it leaves a lot to be desired. So while comparing prices, you'll need to add the cost of having it flashed by a reputable Tuner.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I think what everyone is trying to say is that the TS6 and the Hydra hardware perform the same function. They change the way the truck runs based on what you have selected.

The differences come in the tunes and how the tunes are applied.

The tunes for the Hydra are emailed to you.

The tunes for the TS6 are applied to the chip in the shop where the tunes have been created. This normally means removing the chip and sending it to the tuner to be reprogrammed.

You can see the advantage goes to the Hydra here.

How your truck runs is based on the tune and who wrote it for you. A PHP tune can run great on my friends truck, but like crap on mine. That is just the way it is. A GearHead tune can run great on my truck, but like crap on another truck.

The reason for the price difference is because you are paying for the newest product in the game of tuning the 7.3 diesel. Also, the ability to have tunes emailed to you instead of having to remove and mail off your chip/hardware.

Is the price jump justified, well that is a question you need to answer for yourself. For me, it certainly was.

Take this into account as well. Sometimes a tuner nails it and there is no need for the tune to be "tuned up" or changed. Sometimes this is not the case and the customer has to work with the tuner to get it right. Sometimes this takes upwards of 10 attempts. Think about having to remove and mail your TS6 chip in 9 times to be changed.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Quick Reply: Best tuner out there?