Dog Boxes? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dog Boxes?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
QuailDoc
New User
QuailDoc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dog Boxes?

I have a couple of German Shorthaired Pointers. I hunt a lot but don't want to take up the entire bed with a dog box. Have you guys tried any of the following? Thanks in advance!

Owens Crossover Dog Box

Highway Products Saddle Dog Box (Looks like great quality)

Alumilene Long Dog Box for 2 (looks innovative)

Currently, I'm thinking of getting one of the saddle boxes and then adding a retractable tonneau that snugs up against the box. This would keep a lot of the dirt, dust, Texas road, and snow out of the bed and likely make life a little easier during my favorite time of year; hunting season.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Fortworthian
Junior User
Fortworthian is starting off with a positive reputation.
qail doc, that is what i would do. Maybe a Retrax with a dog box mounted near the tailgate, roll the cover snug with the box and lock it. Still have a large bed area out of weather and locked.

That is exactly why i am looking at Retrax--your exact situation.

I am adding a couple pointers if the birds stay somewhat strong

Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM
LabCab
Posting Guru
LabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud ofLabCab has much to be proud of
I have a canopy on most of the time and have up to 3 RufTuf dog boxes strapped down up against the cab all the time.
When the canopy is off and my slide in camper is in the back I have a platform that I built for the back seat. Fold the seats up and put 2 dog crates back to back on the platform for the dogs. I had GSPs for 40 years, but now have labs as my hunting buddies.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 PM
BlackOps450
Elder User
BlackOps450 has a great reputation on FTE.BlackOps450 has a great reputation on FTE.BlackOps450 has a great reputation on FTE.BlackOps450 has a great reputation on FTE.
Haven't used any of these but i have been looking for a solution for my German Shepard. I like the alumilene.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:34 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
This is what I used for my two Golden Retrievers.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Birdhunter1
Posting Guru
Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.Birdhunter1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm out of the Birddog world, I don't have time to train or run one and my oldest one died. However I ran Brittany's for close to 20 years and I can tell you if you run them alot you won't like any of those boxes, you will have to get in the bed EVERY time you want to put a dog up or let one out.
I use a Houndsman Deluxe Deer Creek Business it was old when I got it, I put a new floor in it and painted it to match the truck at the time and used the heck out of it and had no issues. If I were to get back into Britany's I would look for one made out of Alucabond or get the materials and build it myself just so it is lighter. The Houndsmen was great but it weighed about 150 lbs empty, and sat at the very back of the bed against the tailgate. I hunted about 5 days a week and some of that was guiding on a game preserve, I used my box alot and I woudl have absolutely hated one in the front of the bed... especially a bed I couldn't easily reach over the sides.