Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 F1 Brake Shoes

Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Verbal_oSu
New User
Verbal_oSu is starting off with a positive reputation.
51 F1 Brake Shoes

For the rear brakes it appears that the short brake goes in the back. Is this correct? Which way do they go on the front?

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE

Check manual. Bendix type, short shoe goes forward. Those are a later design, '51 goes back a ways ... Going from memory, other types - maybe Lockheed - is the opposite.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Verbal_oSu
New User
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have the manual in front of me but it did show the secondary shoe going in the back on the rear brakes. I mostly want to verify which way they go on the front.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Looks to me like Bendix type brakes starting in '48

Look at the design, the servo or "self actuating" mechanism deals with the anchor pin. The short shoe is in front, during braking it will tend to rotate in the direction of travel, and force the rear or secondary shoe against the anchor pin, exerting a lot more braking force on the rear shoe. Here's a thread on a similar question at Ford Barn:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...1451&showall=1

Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Verbal_oSu
New User
Thanks! That helped a lot.
Whoever put the rear brakes on before I got the truck put the short shoes on as the secondary.