Rear Brake Shoes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear Brake Shoes

Old 09-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Rear Brake Shoes

I have been having trouble with one of my rear brakes locking to easily. I thought I had found the problem when I discovered that the side I had the problem with had shoes with linings of equal length. (Instead of one longer and one shorter). I found a US parts supplier over here that gave me a price on a set of shoes (4). When they arrived I found that all 4 shoe linings are identical in length. Can anyone tell me if they have found the same when purchasing new shoes please. The manufacturers name on the box is Auto Extra

Suffolkman

Old 09-05-2018, 07:52 AM
big job
Posting Guru
big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.
Good ole band saw. There should be tell tale marks on the metal shoes as to how long to shorten not much maybe an inch or so.......

Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
If they are riveted linings, it may be difficult to shorten them, not that it would be any fun with bonded linings. Just for giggles I looked at NAPA's shoes for an F-1, the pic shows both linings the same?! Just doesn't seem right...

Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
This used to be a practice on the rear brakes of the bigger trucks thinking it gave a little better braking effort and added to lining life, but I can't verify that. Personally, I don't think it matters all that much as long as the shoes are arced. And no doubt that it speeds up the reman process and cuts down on inventory.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.Suffolkman has a good reputation on FTE.
Thank you for your contributions. I have emailed another UK company and asked them if they could check their stock to see if they use leading and trailing shoes. If this is all I can get I will have to go with the four identical shoes.

Suffolkman

Old 09-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Stop Press.. The second company have just replied saying their stock have leading and trailing shoes.

Suffolkman

Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Does any one have an opinion if it will really matter if all four rear brake shoes have identical size linings. I mean I can return the first set and order another correct set I guess.

Suffokman

Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Suffolkman View Post
Does any one have an opinion if it will really matter if all four rear brake shoes have identical size linings. I mean I can return the first set and order another correct set I guess.

Suffokman
Yes, you can have equal sized linings on the rear IF they are NOT the self energizing type.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Thanks for that, I was wondering ....if that is the case why did they bother making leading & trailing shoes ?.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Thanks for that, I was wondering ....if that is the case why did they bother making leading & trailing shoes ?.
In the case of self energizing brakes, a single anchor point at the wheel cylinder actuating the primary shoe. The secondary shoe (with the most lining) does the lion's share of the braking. The primary shoe acts more like a trigger (set up) for the secondary shoe and doesn't do as much actual braking (this is why there would be different friction media between primary and secondary shoes). Putting a fully lined shoe in the primary position could cause grabbing and poor shoe retraction.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
The Bendix rear brakes on the F-1's ARE self-energizing. OP's problem is the one rear wheel locking up, exactly what I'd expect with the wrong primary shoe.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:02 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Hello Ross, I'm confused..... are you saying that having a leading and trailing shoe is still important ?.

Suffolkman

Old 09-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Hello Ross, I'm confused..... are you saying that having a leading and trailing shoe is still important ?.

Suffolkman
I'm not answering for Ross, but yes. Especially if you have self energizing brakes, and F-1's have single anchor self energizing brakes as shown as type 1 in the illustration.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Suffolkman
Senior User
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. I think the best thing is for me to send these shoes back and get the correct shoes. BTW...I guess you are still using the mixer for its intended purpose ?.

Suffolkman

Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. I think the best thing is for me to send these shoes back and get the correct shoes. BTW...I guess you are still using the mixer for its intended purpose ?.

Suffolkman
Yes. Good call.
My intention for the mixer was to make margaritas and snow cones. Hopefully a test run this winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.