1978 Bronco Custom T/S - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Bronco Custom T/S

Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Senior User

75BigBlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is probably the most significant body damage on the Bronco besides the floor pan rust.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Senior User

I'm assuming this is a block heater.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 AM
Senior User

This plug is a lot further down in the engine compartment. I'm not sure what it is or was.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Senior User

I don't think this passenger wiper arm is factory. I've never seen them adjustable like that before. I personally don't like the black wiper blade holder. I purposely kept the OEM arms/holders on my 77 and just bought some wiper blade refills like I used to when I was 15. Parts stores don't carry them anymore I've noticed. I'm gonna take an arm off my 75 and switch out this adjustable one. I'll have to hit the JY and see if I can find a set of OEM wiper blade holders since my 75 doesn't have them anymore. I hate the black plastic! I really like the OEM look my 77 has with the original arms. Also, make sure your wiper arms are level and in the same spot! I always shake my head when I see these trucks with one blade level with the bottom of the windshield and the other is like 6 inches higher. Gotta keep it lookin' clean!

Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Senior User

I'm gonna pull off the wheels and paint them up. What do you think, go with a fresh coat of white or something else?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 AM
Senior User

Does anyone have a picture of what the tire carrier is supposed to look like? I know mine is missing something, but I'm not sure what. You can see there's a couple smaller dents in the tailgate from the tire carrier either getting swung up against the tailgate or pressed against it like maybe they backed into something. I don't know! Trailer Special emblem is still holding on, the decal is faded and starting to come off though.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 AM
Senior User

I'm considering replacing the grill shell and grill with the ones off my 75. I'm a bigger fan of the front end of 73-77 F-Series. I'm not sure if I'd have to switch radiator supports or headlight buckets or whatever is needed. It already has round headlights, but they appear to be a little higher up in the grill area than my 77. Maybe the 78/79 front end will grow on me before I get around to do anything to it.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:12 AM
Senior User

Some shots underneath. You can see the rust in the front floorboards has eaten through in spots. I'll probably tear out the mat in the back to see what's hiding under there if anything.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 AM
Senior User

Last pic for tonight. Anyone know why this bracket looks out of place? I've never seen an alternator bracket look like this? Was there something mounted above it? You can see the heater hoses are routed through the bracket rather than around or over it. I'm thinking it's the wrong bracket for this Bronco, but for some reason it seems to work. I could be wrong.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Are you sure it's the rear making the noise? On certain types of asphalt, mine will do a bit of chirping at full lock from the inner front wheel. These 4x4's have quite a wonky track and alignment on the front a full lock, it seems.

Well I've driven it a couple times when its been nicer out and sure enough its coming from the front. I even had the windows down and leaned out a little to check. I guess I'll just have to get used to that.

Made some progress on cleaning up behind the dash/under the hood. I spent the other day going through the dash and taking out unused wires. I took out the non-functional stereo. I later found out, by removing loose wiring, that the stereo power wire wasn't connected. It wasn't fused either, so I'd rather do it the right way later on, so for now it'll sit on the shelf. I removed the wiring for the KC lights that are no longer there. There was also a relay/solenoid like the one for the starter that was mounted to the radiator support under the horn. I have no idea what it was used for, but all the wiring was hanging, so I unbolted it and took it off. The big "coffee can" vacuum canister isn't hooked up at all. I looked up some diagrams and it looks like whatever it ran to before got tossed whenever this Edelbrock intake/carb got put on. I think my end goal is to eliminate anything I can while keeping the Bronco functional. It still starts and runs, so far so good. lol

So, my ignition switch is a little wonky. You gotta get the key in just right in order for it to turn. Once you turn it, there's what I think is a relay behing the gauge cluster, down to the left, and it makes a loud click when it engages. My ignition will engage and disengage this relay if it wiggles at all and the only thing I've noticed when it does is the gauges turn off. You jiggle the key and get the relay to click on and on come the gauges. So weird. I don't think my 77 F100 has that relay, everything else looks the same behind the dash. We'll see if a new ignition switch solves that issue.