Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Bronco Custom T/S

Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
75BigBlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RalphXL View Post
So jealous that you have these trucks in yards near you. Everything near me in crushed or rotten from the side trim down.

Jess
Trust me, sir, I know your pain. It wasn't until recently that I found this small treasure trove. This stuff all came from one small yard that's maybe 3 acres big. The other 2 yards here in the area have everything smashed, rotted, or picked clean of anything useful.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Here's some clips from two separate days testing some things out a few miles from my house. One day was clear, sunny, and warm. The next day it literally was snowing out before I headed out. Whatever, mother earth. I'm definitely not super stoked with the carb that's on the engine right now. I want a new, smaller sized one (current carb is 750 cfm), but when I think about the cost I keep telling myself to put that towards an efi setup.

I apologize for filming in portrait mode. My camerawoman doesn't know what landscape means.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
The other night I decided to go through my gauge cluster and clean it up. I consider this Bronco my test bed for my F-100 since they share a lot of the same parts and styling. I care a little more about the finished product on my F-100, which is why I haven't messed with it that much as far as experimenting. I've gotten things for my F100 that I didn't like that I plan on using for the Bronco, such as a new dome light cover and an LED for it that didn't look quite right to me, so into the Bronco it will go.

Before I pulled the cluster I noticed one of the mounting tabs on the top was broken and missing. Once I pulled the cluster out I found out the other one was broken as well, but still secured to the dash with it's screw. The backside of the cluster revealed some burnt/melted spots on the printed circuit board leading to the ammeter. I'm not sure if it is linked to the burned wiring that I had on the heater blower switch, but this rig has definitely had its wiring issues. Another thing I noticed while driving is that the blinkers were no longer green, they were faded out and would blink white with a very faint green on the outer edges of the arrow. That annoyed me enough to want to fix it eventually. There are green inserts behind the blinker arrows that you can pop out and in, so I found a better set at the JY and solved that issue. I didn't manage to take pics of everything I swapped or replaced or painted, but I have enough to give you an idea.

I swapped out the printed circuit board from a 78 F-150 in my little treasure trove JY. Before I put it in I noticed that the engineering number on it matched the one from the Bronco, so it shouldn't have any issues going in. I cleaned all the contacts and all the little bulb holders before screwing it on. I recommend being VERY careful when removing the gauges as the posts go directly into the gauges and if you have a nut that "catches" on the post as you're taking it off and you apply more torque to muscle through it you'll more than likely spin the post with the nut and trash the gauge. I experienced that on my F-100 and on the F-150 that I took this printed circuit board from. I was a lot more careful when it came time to remove the gauges on the Bronco and I managed to keep it a success. The fuel gauges seem to be the ones that break on me.

I swapped out the front part of the cluster that's behind the lens and silver in color. It's the part that has the mounting tabs. My replacement wasn't perfect, but was in good shape. The only thing I didn't like about it once I took a closer look was what looks like chrome trim that goes around each pod of gauges and around the center of the speedo and the turn signals. It was very faded and cracked out. I decided to repaint it along with my gauge needles. The small needles were by far the easiest to paint and, imo, turned out the best. The speedo needle was a bitch. I also noticed, because the needle is a different color AND the gauge goes to 100 MPH, that this speedo came from a different cluster than the one that is in the Bronco. The other needles are far more sun faded. This needle was very gritty looking and I attempted to paint it without any prep to it, but decided later after the paint dried to go back and sand it with very fine sand paper and hit it again with some paint. It still doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm not sure I want to mess with it too much and risk breaking it. The chrome trim was easy and hard. It was easy enough to paint, but the paint I used was metallic in order to simulate the chrome look of the original and anyone who has painted a car with metallic paint knows what issues can arise. I'm no painter, but in a perfect world you'd paint these gauges like you'd paint the truck and tape everything off and hit it with an airbrush. That's a little more effort and time than I really want to spend, but I'm sure it would have made everything turn out amazing.

I have some LEDs on order right now and I'm going to swap out a few of the gauge lights in order to brighten things up. The incandescent bulbs just aren't cutting it in this rig and when I put LEDs into my F-100 it was night and day different, so that's why I'm going to do it again for the Bronco. In the spirit of experimenting... I'm going to try something different as far as my choice of LEDs. I went with white ones for my F-100 and kept them with a reasonable amount of lumens. It kept the dash with an OE look, without being overly bright, so to anyone who didn't know any better they might just think I had really nice incandescent bulbs. On the Bronco I'm gonna try out some VERY bright RED LEDs for the whole dash. I'll pop out the blue/green covers that go over the gauge cluster illumination bulbs that give the gauges their OE blue green glow that way they don't alter the red color. The bulbs that go in for the heater controls and the headlight/wiper controls might be a different story. I know on my F-100 that the heater controls have that blue green for the writing and there is no cover for the bulb itself. The writing on the Bronco APPEARS to be white, but that's probably due to some sun fading, which will play into my favor. On my F-100 the headlight/wiper bulb has a blue green cover, so I'm gonna try to pop that off and just use the bare LED. We'll find out next week how that turns out! I'm hoping it'll look decent with the red interior of the Bronco. As an after thought, after I had painted everything on the gauges, I was like why didn't I just use a different color! I could have spiced up the cluster even more! They had red metal flake paint where I got my paints from, that could be interesting for the trim. We'll see what happens. Thanks for reading if you made it through all that. Pics, for your pleasure.

Paint used:
Testor's Fluorescent Orange
Testor's Silver Metallic

Before.

Silver trim after 2 coats.

I got greedy and went for a 3rd coat and fudged over by the right turn signal. I'll go over it with black later when I get my LEDs. This is the finished product, all needles painted and trim painted. For the sake of comparison, if you're wondering how close my silver metallic paint came to the OE color, the smaller trim going around the speedo I didn't paint as it looked pretty good. I think it's a close enough match! The whole cluster looks a lot better in person when you're sitting in the Bronco and have a little distance. It looks worse when you're leaning in a few inches from it painting it. It is what it is, but it's all fun!

You can see the green turn signal insert popped out right here. I actually tried putting in two inserts on each side, but the green was too dark for my liking once it was illuminated by the bulb, so I went back to one.

You can see how fine of a brush I was using. I recommend flipping the cluster around so the needle tips are facing down when you paint, so gravity is on your side and helps to keep things a little more even when going on.

My $5 replacement printed circuit board. You can see one of the round green inserts for the turn signals above my silver paint jar in this pic, is case you're curious as to what they look like popped out. The little "spikes" around the insert hold it in place when it's in the cluster.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:35 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Just saw this thread for the first time. It's great seeing the little updates and fixes throughout!
You're starting out with a pretty rough specimen, so nice work!

Glad to see there are more Broncos around here. (I need to hit that junk yard up next time I'm down that way visiting my family). Is that still out on Addison?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:02 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Just saw this thread for the first time. It's great seeing the little updates and fixes throughout!
You're starting out with a pretty rough specimen, so nice work!

Glad to see there are more Broncos around here. (I need to hit that junk yard up next time I'm down that way visiting my family). Is that still out on Addison?
The yard that seems to have the good stuff, that shall not be named lol, is on Addison. Technically there are 3 yards on Addision owned by two separate businesses at this point. There's one more in town that's changed ownership a few times since I've been in Idaho (since '93), but is currently owned by the Jalopy Jungle guys which I'm sure you're familiar with being in the Boise area. They have the best variety of vehicles, but its by far the busiest and most picked through AND the staff in general is worthless. lol My really only good find at Jalopy Jungle was my set of door panels for my F-100, which took forever to come across, I got lucky.

If you come through Twin on occasion and need something from the yards here I wouldn't be opposed to pulling it and holding onto it until you came through town. It'd give me another reason to hit the yards for parts! I'm thinking my F-100 could use a set of sway bars! That '78 Bronco in the yard has a rear one for the 9" and then I think I can get one for the front off an Econoline van out of the JJ yard. Then I could corner... like a modern day truck at best!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:16 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I noticed something the other day while working on my gauge cluster. On the back of the cluster, before I cleaned it all up, you can literally see mud splashed up on it on the backside. If you look at my pic up above where I have the old and new printed circuit boards next to each other you can see the mud on the contacts for my fuel gauge. If you look at my floorboards, of which I don't have a pic to show, the clutch rod boot is torn in half horizontally and a piece slipped down the rod leaving the hole exposed. At some point I hit mud hard while taking this thing offroad to test it out and mud splashed in through the clutch rod hole and clear up to the back of my gauges! I guess anything is possible! If anyone else has a manual with that hole exposed, keep that in mind. I'd hate to have my gauges short out or cause a fire because I was having fun. I noticed the dried mud on my floorboards a long time ago and made note of where it was coming in so I could remedy it in the future, but had no idea it could shoot that far up into the cab.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I received my LEDs earlier than expected. They arrived yesterday while I was asleep, dang night shift! I didn't have any time to enjoy their sight before I had to leave to work. I installed them all this morning after I got home, but of course the sun was up and, again, I couldn't enjoy the sight of my new LEDs. I'll show you what I did to the gauge cluster and the other locations where I installed the bulbs. Also, the majority of the cost of the bulbs I purchased went towards the 1156 bulbs I got to use as backup lights for my F-100 AND the Bronco. They weren't cheap as I wanted nice bright ones and I got 4 PLUS! I broke one trying to get the damn thing into my F-100's socket, it literally crumbled in my hand.

I'm gonna see what the company I got them from will do for me, but in the end I'll probably just buy another one and alter the socket a little bit for easier fitment. All that for some LEDs right? But they're sweet! All my incandescents will be kept as backups, since there's no point in throwing out good bulbs, baby.

As I found them once I woke up and saw the package just sitting off to the side... no one told me they came! How dare they!

Here's the cluster with both cluster illumination LEDs in. My camera was being a turd and I was experimenting with and without flash, so some pictures might make things look a little different from pic to pic. I left one cover on, so you can see the difference. Yes, the bulbs fit comfortably behind the little covers, so if you went with white bulbs you could have a nice bright OE look if you want. I just recommend being cautious with this style of LED since there is nothing protecting the diodes and I'm fairly certain the oils and whatnot on your hands could/would affect them. The LEDs I bought at the parts store for my F-100's gauges were Sylvania brand and have covers over the ends, but were easily 3-4 times the cost of these.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
The next area to attack was the bulb for the washer/wiper illumination on the dash. Like I previously mentioned in an earlier post, I knew my F-100 had a little blue green cover over the bulb holder and figured the Bronco would be the same. There's a little hole in the end of it that directs the light into washer/wiper lettering on the dash bezel. I simply took a set of pliers and gripped the plastic and gave a bit of pressure. Then I released the pliers, rotated 90, then did the same thing again and the plastic end popped off. I'm assuming its held on by some adhesive and that after 40 years it was pretty dried up, so when I did what I did it just cracked and let go.

Tadah! Enjoy my 10 year old camera's macro mode! I set that plastic cap next to the others from the gauge cluster for you to enjoy. I'll keep them with my spare items in case I tire of red and want my OE look back.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:50 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Here are the locations of the other two bulbs in the dash. The first is the bulb for the wiper/washer illumination, which is a different style than the other bulbs (1445 rather than 194) and requires a different LED bulb when ordering, so you know!. The second is for the heater controls illumination. I confirmed that the lettering is white already and not blue like on my F-100, so it should turn out great once illuminated. Fingers crossed! I also took another shot of one of the bulbs to show you, yet again, what I'm dealing with. Again, careful not to touch the diodes. I suppose I could have used gloves!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Here are the bulbs in place. I took a few shots to show the difference between the LED and the incandescent washer/wiper bulb, which is a very weak bulb to begin with imo. The camera has a hard time showing the red, so it doesn't look quite right, but you get the idea. I still don't have all my heater controls/ducting buttoned up and the dash bezel put back on, but I'll get some pics of the gauge cluster being illuminated when I go on my lunch break around midnight or so, I brought the Bronco to work tonight so I could get some night shots asap. I'm pretty excited to see if this will be a cool idea or a train wreak!

Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Here's what happens when you and the bulb don't agree with the installation. I got the other 3 to fit fine without breaking after honing the socket a little with the edge of some scissors I had in the house. That circuit board base that all the LEDs mount on is just a hair too wide right where it meets the bulb socket, so when you go to push it down all the way in order to twist the bulb into place it catches the socket and won't allow you to go down quite enough to twist. It feels like it wants to twist, but it won't. I scraped some of the socket material out with the scissors on my next bulb and it went in fine and is nice and tight and BRIGHT. Damn Rockbiter...

Old 04-23-2018, 04:15 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I think it turned out alright. The only thing I'm going to try to change is the needle color or find a way to make it pop some more. The red glow of the LEDs washes the orange needles out. I think they look great during the day, so it'll be interesting as to what I can come up with.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:25 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
The camera does pictures a lot better than it does video. Also, because of the LEDs, you can't dim the lights at all. I don't mind that, because the whole idea was to have it very bright in this case.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I went out for a drive in the Bronco the other day to go to an upholstery shop that's about 6-7 miles away to see how much it'd cost to get my seats redone. It was the first time taking the Bronco up at speeds above say.. 40-45 mph. I took it up to 60-65 mph this time. I noticed a lot of vibration on accel and while maintaining speed and it'd disappear on decel... classic bad u-joint symptoms... looks like I'll be rebuilding the rear shaft. I have all the parts for it still in a box. After rebuilding the front shaft I really didn't want to do another one right away. Who would have guessed both shafts were shafted!

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I semi-impulse bought a Holley Sniper EFI setup yesterday. I've been eyeing a couple EFI setups and wasn't sure whether it was timely to get one, though I knew for sure I'd get one for either the Bronco or for the F-100. I don't know how I feel about the decision to get it right now, yet. It was a matter of staring at it in cart for a few minutes and then saying **** it, click. Done. It'll be here by the end of today, the joy of living half a state away from a summit warehouse. I'm excited, yet nervous that I'm gonna get myself in over my head. lol I've been busy fixing things, or attempting to, on this Bronco for a while. Definitely learning. I have all of next week off from work, so I'll have plenty of time to map out my attack on this thing. Definitely need to make sure I do it right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.