Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
8 hr drives are for amateurs We usually drive to CA 24hrs non-stop, eyes give out long before a knee/ankle and wife and i swap drivers. Seems like i usually end up doing 14-18 hours of the trip. If cruise control held engine rpm constant instead of trying to maintain a set speed I'd probably use it, but until then i still get about 10% better mileage driving than my wife does using CC
Or for those who have two kids and are following behind while pulling 14k pounds

Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Looks like a complex installation, congrats and hope is serves you well. Will it provide all the power you need with no shore power required?
Shore power will be a nicety after the solar is done. I have room for another 200 watt panel on the roof if needed, but 400 watt should be plenty based on our power consumption.

To answer your question directly, yes this should provide all of the power we need without shore power. A small 2500 watt generator will fit between the two battery boxes which can be utilized to quick charge the batteries or run the A/C for several hours. I ran a test with the generator and with 1 gallon of fuel, the A/C ran for ~8 hours. I installed an EasyStart 364 on the A/C which allows for a much softer and gradual start up instead of the big 15+ Amp surge of power that they draw during start up.

The only thing that we will not have readily available is fresh water. Although, we have 3 collapsible five gallon jugs and 2 seven gallon hard jugs that are made for water in order to fill/refill the fresh tank. For the waste water, we have a trolley for that.

Everything should be covered. The power consumption and charge will be monitored from a fixed gauge at the control panel, but also is capable of being monitored via bluetooth from a tablet, phone or PC.

After it is all said and done, we will have SeeLevel tank monitors that are accurate within 2-3%, WeBoost cell booster, WiFi Ranger WiFi booster, Victron MPPT charge controller, Victron battery monitor, Xantrex 2000 watt inverter, 400 watts of tilting solar panels, generator, 550 Amp hours of battery storage, etc... All with proper gauge wiring to allow for a healthy system to work as designed.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM
slowsure
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Sous
Shore power will be a nicety after the solar is done. I have room for another 200 watt panel on the roof if needed, but 400 watt should be plenty based on our power consumption.

To answer your question directly, yes this should provide all of the power we need without shore power. A small 2500 watt generator will fit between the two battery boxes which can be utilized to quick charge the batteries or run the A/C for several hours. I ran a test with the generator and with 1 gallon of fuel, the A/C ran for ~8 hours. I installed an EasyStart 364 on the A/C which allows for a much softer and gradual start up instead of the big 15+ Amp surge of power that they draw during start up.

The only thing that we will not have readily available is fresh water. Although, we have 3 collapsible five gallon jugs and 2 seven gallon hard jugs that are made for water in order to fill/refill the fresh tank. For the waste water, we have a trolley for that.

Everything should be covered. The power consumption and charge will be monitored from a fixed gauge at the control panel, but also is capable of being monitored via bluetooth from a tablet, phone or PC.

After it is all said and done, we will have SeeLevel tank monitors that are accurate within 2-3%, WeBoost cell booster, WiFi Ranger WiFi booster, Victron MPPT charge controller, Victron battery monitor, Xantrex 2000 watt inverter, 400 watts of tilting solar panels, generator, 550 Amp hours of battery storage, etc... All with proper gauge wiring to allow for a healthy system to work as designed.
Not that you thought about any of this at length....
Sounds like you have it covered Sous! Very Nice!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
I've tried loosening the nut with my impact, no dice. I'm gonna have to get a pulley wrench of some kind. Bummer, I have to buy a new tool....

Thankfully it's not a real rush, we have my daughters FJ right now while she's down in FL the next few months for work.

It took bit for my impact to break the nut loose, and I thought that I might have to resort to the breaker bar and bump-starter technique and let the starting engine torque break it loose for me. It might work for you, too... just make sure to secure the breaker bar on the frame and stay out of the engine bay and out from under the car before the starter is bumped.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Or for those who have two kids and are following behind while pulling 14k pounds
We only have have 4 kiddos

Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
What kind of impact are you using Zach? Try tightening a bit then loosen it.
Using my pneumatic, wide open. Might not be enough torque. I've got a DeWalt 20v, but don't think that is enough either.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
Using my pneumatic, wide open. Might not be enough torque. I've got a DeWalt 20v, but don't think that is enough either.
I’d try the Dewalt 20V, assuming it’s 1/2”, it’s back off torque is over 1000 Ft/lbs. I have several pneumatic both 1/2” & 3/8” and the Dewalt in reverse smokes them both. I’m not sure what the HF Earthquake impact rating is but it’s a beast too. If you wanna try it let me know, you have my number.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

I’d try the Dewalt 20V, assuming it’s 1/2”, it’s back off torque is over 1000 Ft/lbs. I have several pneumatic both 1/2” & 3/8” and the Dewalt in reverse smokes them both. I’m not sure what the HF Earthquake impact rating is but it’s a beast too. If you wanna try it let me know, you have my number.
Thanks John, I'll let you know. This next week is a busy one, so might be another week before I try.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
" Here's a thought that we can dig into...

While driving six hours yesterday on back county roads to attend a prebid meeting for a prospective job for our company, I began remembering when I used to do a lot more day-tripping to client locations, and recalled the "Superduty Wave" -- the friendly acknowledgement and greeting towards other SD drivers... it was something I've neither seen much of nor thought much about in the last couple of years. Yesterday, though, I began watching for those "waves" from other SD drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes, and saw very few waves initiated from other SD drivers and very few responses to my initiated waves. I was slightly surprised. It has always seemed that most of the country folks driving the back county roads have generally always been more "friendly" in the years gone by.

Are you guys seeing the same thing? Are we all just too busy and/or too distracted with our growing accumulation of electronic gadgetry to even notice the oncoming SD drivers?[/QUOTE] "

When I grew up over there in north Alabama, seems we all waved at each other going down those country roads. Over here in Atlanta, they might think you're waving a gun at them ! I wave a lot at SD's but don't see many return the wave in this area. Maybe out in the rural areas it would be different

Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Everyone still waves at everyone here in the north GA area. Although, it is not common as I get out into the more urban areas. Distracted driving, fighting with kids, whatever, people are just too busy or don't give a damn.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Yesterday I went to the north Georgia mountains, to do some clean up work at a cemetery we help maintain. Having made a trip to Alabama the day before, I knew I'd be pushing my luck with the amount of fuel left in the tank. Anyway, on the way out of the mountains, the Warning light came on... but at that time I was going up and down mountain roads, so I knew I had more fuel than what was showing at times. I have some 50 miles or so to make it to the Kroger fuel station I want to get to, as diesel there is 20 cents cheaper than diesel at Kroger by my house.... and I have fuel points, so I'm looking at saving 50 cents a gallon.... $2.39 I call home.... no answer... I call the wife's cell... no answer.... WTH ? She calls back from the beauty parlor.... I tell her I'm driving on fumes, that she may have to come rescue me. She tells me I better stop for fuel.... and if I'm stupid enough to run if dry, I best call AAA, as its raining and I'm not messing up my hair for your dumb ***.... geezzz Anyway.... I made it to Kroger..... 28.2 gallons..... How much more does that tank possibly hold ?

The past 24 hours.... has been one mess up after another. Last night, I threw my stinky clothes in washing machine.... and didn't know until later, I washed my Infiniti key fob.... but it works !!
Today, I change my oil and in the process dump a quart of dirty oil on the driveway.... that I just pressure washed last week !
Then, I change fuel filter..... and yea,.. the gasket doesn't seat, and damn diesel sprays all over the truck... and the driveway !!
So then, I had to wash the diesel off, so washed the entire truck.....

Was going to replace air filter.... but I thought... I might just blow up the damn truck if I do that today !

Thinking I'll go drink me a JD & coke now...

Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Around here a lot of people wave with their middle finger

Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bigb56
Around here a lot of people wave with their middle finger
Hahahahahahaha.....sounds like California....actually drivers there are pretty friendly. I am surprised that this is more true for Nebraska. I have waved at people and they just look at me....in rural ranchland Nebraska! Go figure.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to get head light flashes when I had my old BMW. Took a while to figure out that it was just hi sign from other 2002 BMW guys.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Name:  Screenshot_20190118-210036.png
Views: 276
Size:  205.6 KB

Winter

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***