Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

. Well he was in the Air Force... Shots fired.
You mean the Chair Force?
BMC, USN(Ret)

Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Two helicopters because I know they break down (they are more complex than a 7.3 right...) and if I want to go somewhere, I want to go right then...

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SaintITC
You mean the Chair Force?
BMC, USN(Ret)
Ya ya ya... The USAF is a lot different than it was back in the day. Thank you for your service, I and many others do appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some knuckleheads in the USAF, but there are in any branch.

I always say that the fellas on the ground are sure thankful for the USAF when they call for air support from an A-10, F-15 or whatever. Then, they are grateful when our C-17's take fallen heroes back home. Or what about when our C-130's get them out of the AOR and to the rear so they can hop on a jet and get home safely. We all do our part and any of the branches without the others will fail.

I know the soldiers in Afghanistan were grateful for the predator support they received that I (USAF) ran fiber optic lines for through the desert.

I did enough time next to the soldiers and Marines in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia twice to know that I was doing my part, just as they were doing theirs.

The 6 months in Pakistan holds some of the worst memories of my entire life. I was nearly broken by that experience, broken in a bad way.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
The 6 months in Pakistan holds some of the worst memories of my entire life. I was nearly broken by that experience, broken in a bad way.
Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you made it back in one piece.

On that note it's all but impossible for a good comeback. I will say, though, that we had our share of Sailors that were window lickers too.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I wanted to get the Sailun tires for the trailer, but with a 100 PSI rim requirement I didn't feel safe putting them on. It appears they may have been the wrong setup anyway and might have been too stiff for a lighter weight trailer such as the Montana High Country.
If the lighter duty tires are anything like the ones we use at work, you're better off without them. Casings are fine and they do alright when capped, but when they're virgins they wear the edges out extremely fast. We finally got through the couple hundred we had at work.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
If the lighter duty tires are anything like the ones we use at work, you're better off without them. Casings are fine and they do alright when capped, but when they're virgins they wear the edges out extremely fast. We finally got through the couple hundred we had at work.
Maybe I was getting the thoughts out of my head wrong and misrepresented what I was trying to say.

So, I wanted Sailun S637 16" tires for my trailer recently when I put new ones on. They had a great track record, but their specifications called for a rim that could be pressurized to 100 PSI to run the tire properly. The rims on my trailer were rated to 90 PSI, so that was the first sign of them being wrong.

Secondly, the Sailun S637 is said to be a bit overkill for the lighter weight trailers like the Montana High Country I own. They were too rigid for the lighter weight and were causing damage inside the trailer itself because instead of the cabin moving with the tires, the cabin was being tossed around by the tires.

Third, the Sailun S637 would be like putting 19.5" rims on my F-250 with commercial grade 19.5" tires, just not the right fit.

So, getting a new design, made in USA Goodyear E rated tire that was designed for the trailer I own was the right call. The tire pressure was right, the load rating was right and the flexibility was right for the lighter trailer. I hope this clears things up and I apologize for any confusion.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I didn't mean to bring up any bad memories, sorry bud. My days span from 1984-2015 with a few breaks. I've seen, and been, my share of knuckleheads. I was attached to various Army and Marine units at Air Force run bases in my deployments, and while I personally was never in any combat roles, sailors in my unit were, as were the soldiers and Marines we were attached to. I'll never say I understand what you've been through, but I always pray that the good memories outshine the bad ones,

However the Air Force has the dubious honor in my opinion of sponsoring both the best food in theater (Al Jaber AFB w/ Haagen Dazs ice cream) and the worst (Camp Patriot, the best option was cheese and tomato sandwiches 3x a day).

Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I have had better luck selling parts and other misc stuff on facebook than craigslist or ebay. I think part of the reason is I can look at stuff in my hometown and a mileage radius around it rather than the closest craigslist city. Half the stuff I see on craigslist is a repost from a further away city.

Originally Posted by brian42
I have done that for small things too (parts, furniture) and have been very successful, especially Facebook. Make sure you go back and keep it updated as it will refresh the post (e.g. back to the top for Craigslist) or notify a potential buyer if they have liked/tagged your ad (some apps allow people to "follow" ads) to let them know you've updated your ad and possibly rekindle interest.
Thanks for the recommendation on using Facebook. We have had a lot of interest in the ad there, more than anywhere else so far.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on using Facebook. We have had a lot of interest in the ad there, more than anywhere else so far.
Glad it's helping.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Ya ya ya... The USAF is a lot different than it was back in the day. Thank you for your service, I and many others do appreciate it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some knuckleheads in the USAF, but there are in any branch.

I always say that the fellas on the ground are sure thankful for the USAF when they call for air support from an A-10, F-15 or whatever. Then, they are grateful when our C-17's take fallen heroes back home. Or what about when our C-130's get them out of the AOR and to the rear so they can hop on a jet and get home safely. We all do our part and any of the branches without the others will fail.

I know the soldiers in Afghanistan were grateful for the predator support they received that I (USAF) ran fiber optic lines for through the desert.

I did enough time next to the soldiers and Marines in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia twice to know that I was doing my part, just as they were doing theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2AEkfjc6-o

Sous,
Thank you for your Service! I hope I didn't strike a cord, nothing but the utmost respect for you! s

I served 14 years 7 months in the Army (SSG) with the majority of it with Special Operations. I still work in that field but as a Military Contractor, funny how one person says you can't do this anymore and the next says welcome aboard. My GF always asks why we seem to give each other (different branches) so much ****. I tell her it's like having Brothers, only I can give my Brothers crap, we'll stand toe to toe talking smack but if anyone try's to F$$$ with them we're shoulder to shoulder without hesitation.
The USAF has saved my *** more times than I care to admit between the A10's and Spooky, often they made the difference between a success and failure. Aka Life or death. I'd buy any of you a beer or spit blood for you any day! :salute:
I hear you on knuckleheads we have our share, seems to be more today too. However, On the other side of the coin, I've known and I've lost some of the best friends , true Brothers, I'll ever know, they were far more deserving to be alive than I am but it is what it is. Often I think that's why I stay in this field, I don't have kids, don't really care for the civilian life, and the men and women I work with, well we're damn good at what we do. I look at my GF's kids and hope they never see the things we've had to see and had to endure but unfortunately we seem set on destroying each other. I'll step down from the soap box now, I never was meant to be politician or preacher anyway... s

Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad to hear Sous. Hope you get what you want for it.

On another note how long are the stock L99-03 7.3 orange plenum boots? Thinking about getting a pair a little longer to have on hand and change out next time I take it apart. Also has anyone used a "hump hose" here? I was thinking the flexibility may make installing them easier, but may make more likely to not stay put??? No current problem just my orange ones from 1998 are a little shorter than I would like and thinking about replacing them before they are of legal drinking age lol.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
No worries John, sometimes I get a bit more outspoken than I should when it comes to things like service and time spent away from family. Even brothers fight at times, just depends on who says uncle first.

I am grateful for my time in the service and would do it all over again, but damnit time served is hard to deal with sometimes. I too am having a difficult time adjusting to civilian life. So much so that I put in my resignation at my place of work and my last day will be May 25th. We are going to do our best to enjoy life, while we are still above ground.

My wife tells me I am not active duty anymore and I need to chill the F-out

To get this thread back on the right track, it is Friday, the beer is cold and the weather is warm (in north GA anyway)!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
...for 22 years, 3 months and 27 days of my life (military term)
No explanation needed here. My pop served 24 years in the US Army, ground pounding infantry every single day. Retired as an E8 Master Sergeant back in '71.

My brother and I didn't follow into the armed forces, but we both went into law enforcement.

Originally Posted by Colorado350
I tell her it's like having Brothers, only I can give my Brothers crap, we'll stand toe to toe talking smack but if anyone try's to F$$$ with them we're shoulder to shoulder without hesitation.
Literally.

My sister has a set of twin boys. One went into the Army and the other went into the Marine Corps. They are always one-upping each other (to the point of....well, we don't talk about fight club, but I think the record is 5-3, with the Marines on top) but are joined at the hip against the world.

Stewart

Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
No explanation needed here. My pop served 24 years in the US Army, ground pounding infantry every single day. Retired as an E8 Master Sergeant back in '71.

My brother and I didn't follow into the armed forces, but we both went into law enforcement.

Literally.

My sister has a set of twin boys. One went into the Army and the other went into the Marine Corps. They are always one-upping each other (to the point of....well, we don't talk about fight club, but I think the record is 5-3, with the Marines on top) but are joined at the hip against the world.

Stewart

makes me with itch the other half’s father was still around, he was a jarhead through and through but you mess with anyone in our family just a tiny bit or make them feel threatened at all he was the first to defend them, got shot at least three times and was still able to serve.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
No worries John, sometimes I get a bit more outspoken than I should when it comes to things like service and time spent away from family. Even brothers fight at times, just depends on who says uncle first.

I am grateful for my time in the service and would do it all over again, but damnit time served is hard to deal with sometimes. I too am having a difficult time adjusting to civilian life. So much so that I put in my resignation at my place of work and my last day will be May 25th. We are going to do our best to enjoy life, while we are still above ground.

My wife tells me I am not active duty anymore and I need to chill the F-out

To get this thread back on the right track, it is Friday, the beer is cold and the weather is warm (in north GA anyway)!

What's this chill out your wife's talking about? LOL. My GF says the same thing, there's no threat here, relax! I hear you, if you ever need to talk, I'm only a call away. s

Ya'll have a great weekend. s

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***