Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Double post ��

Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My mom is the most dangerous person on the planet when behind the wheel... if upset.

Story one: As a child, I had no sense of danger. Mom just drove us away from home, and the family dog was chasing us. I tried to open the door to let the dog jump in, and as soon as she heard me call the dog's name - she put us in a panic turn across the other three lanes of traffic to the left to reach a parking lot. OK... let that set in - passenger door open... hard left turn... in the late 60's.

Story two: I hurt myself pretty good at home - let's just say spurting blood and screaming was involved. The neighbor got me into mom's car - and after story one, I now know for sure I'm gunna die. Mom can't manage stress steering as you all know now, and we get into 3 rear-enders with parked cars while on the way to the nearby hospital.

Since that time, she's learned to avoid the this problem altogether. She's so busy flipping the bird that her hands have no time for the wheel.

My wife is laughing her *** off as I read this to her, because she knows I'm not making it up.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

Byron, our 1st pick of new to us trailer is a Heartland Sundance 267RL. There is a Dutchmen Denali that we like too, but the bedroom slide in the Heartland is key for me. We have the bedroom slide in the Montana and love it.
This is my 3rd RV and my first Heartland. It is, by far, the best one I have owned. Great warranty and customer service, but we haven't needed it really because the unit has been really solid. I'll be anxious to see how it goes for you guys.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Mom's 1st new vehicle after they were married was a special ordered '88 5spd chevy 1/2 ton. Countless times growing up mom would back the boat down the ramp in 1 go with onlookers' jaws dropped, dad however, could probably back their 5th down pikes peak if he had to. Mom won't even ride with dad in her prius anymore. He watches the lie-o-meter in it going 40 on the highway bragging about mileage . Mom wants to get somewhere alive and on time, after a few years towing with that OBS and getting 5-6 mpg dad became hyper-obsessed with mileage
You are much braver and kinder than me Wes. After a family member burned up my transmission in one my trucks awhile back because lugged it the ENTIRE way with my horse trailer on the back, I decided my truck is off limits....to everyone. And yeah, that MPG obsession will gray your head.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tugly
My mom is the most dangerous person on the planet when behind the wheel... if upset.

Story one: As a child, I had no sense of danger. Mom just drove us away from home, and the family dog was chasing us. I tried to open the door to let the dog jump in, and as soon as she heard me call the dog's name - she put us in a panic turn across the other three lanes of traffic to the left to reach a parking lot. OK... let that set in - passenger door open... hard left turn... in the late 60's.

Story two: I hurt myself pretty good at home - let's just say spurting blood and screaming was involved. The neighbor got me into mom's car - and after story one, I now I know for sure I'm gunna die. Mom can't manage stress steering as you all know now, and we get into 3 rear-enders with parked cars while on the way to the nearby hospital.

Since that time, she's learned to avoid the this problem altogether. She's so busy flipping the bird that her hands have no time for the wheel.

My wife is laughing her *** off as I read this to her, because she knows I'm not making it up.
Thanks for the laughs this morning Rich!!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Just the thought of my Mom driving my truck, regardless of trans, by itself... that thought was never even in the realm of possibilities, it's inconceivable. My Dad tells a story of when he and my Mom were first married and they moved from their first apartment in Queens to farther out on Long Island back in '64, and for some reason my Mom had to drive my Dad's '62 Mercury Meteor coupe, with a 3 spd. Apparently Mom didn't like stopping or starting, so as the story goes every time she came to a red light she turned right. My Dad sold the car shortly afterwards and bought a '58 Pontiac station wagon. <facepalm emoji needed here> Oh yeah, Mom was pregnant with my older sister at the time. My Mom's car was a '55 Chevy 2dr sedan, with a bullet hole in the back fender thanks to my Uncle. Yeah, my family has car stories ...
62 mercury meteor coupe, I had one of them I got from my Dad. It was an auto with a 221 V 8. Got the worst mpg. Dad bought it for mpg and then found out how bad they were. I sold it and bought a 67 super sport with 396, it had 323 gears and I let my dad use it on vacation one time, he loved it. Got 17 mpg on super shell. It only had headers at that time, stock, with 4 speed. Anyway I thought I'd share the story.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:50 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom and dad were on their way to a dinner party one winter day in St. Louis ~1935 (brakes?). A car coming downhill in the opposite direction lost traction and slid into them pretty hard and the lemon pie went flying and hit my dad on the side of his head. My mom thought for sure may dad was severely injured when she saw the lemon pie in his ear thinking he had cracked his head.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
My grandfather blew up the engine in his Model A racing someone to the prom. Yes, a Model A, and yes, the prom. He was winning before his engine gave out.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:46 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Mom's 1st new vehicle after they were married was a special ordered '88 5spd chevy 1/2 ton. Countless times growing up mom would back the boat down the ramp in 1 go with onlookers' jaws dropped, dad however, could probably back their 5th down pikes peak if he had to. Mom won't even ride with dad in her prius anymore. He watches the lie-o-meter in it going 40 on the highway bragging about mileage . Mom wants to get somewhere alive and on time, after a few years towing with that OBS and getting 5-6 mpg dad became hyper-obsessed with mileage
Ah, the boat ramp, where driving tests ought to be held... We go to Roger's Rock on Lake George, and there's a small picnic area near the ramp where old guys sit and drink beer and laugh their asses off as folks do all sorts of stupid crap on that ramp. One of these days I'm gonna join them.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Ah, the boat ramp, where driving tests ought to be held... We go to Roger's Rock on Lake George, and there's a small picnic area near the ramp where old guys sit and drink beer and laugh their asses off as folks do all sorts of stupid crap on that ramp. One of these days I'm gonna join them.
After you become an old guy? I don't go up that way anymore but I have a camp up near Saranac Lake.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My wife and I got a slip facing the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend last year. We backed into the slip, set up the tunes, and cracked many a beverage while watching the ramp. Memorial day weekend is the peak time to do this - it's the official opening of boating season, and that makes this the maiden boat trip for the year. Aside from the frequent circus acts, I think we should hold a raffle for guessing the number of forgotten drain plugs for the day.

The serious fishermen were obvious. The boats had the gear cleared to make room for the family that was with them, but fishermen did all the launch/retrieve chores themselves to avoid conflict and confusion.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Forgotten drain plugs? At least you're dealing with professionals. We always like watching the folks who get the boat / trailer in the water only to realize they have a dead battery..

Old 03-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Then there's the ones that don't even unhook the rear of the boat from the trailer, the gambling ones that get the tailpipe submerged and shut off the vehicle engine, the ones that go off the submerged edge of the ramp and the trailer drops a foot on one side, the ones that forget to raise the motor before dragging it up the ramp, the ones that only have the boat part way or off center on the trailer when they pull out

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I would have liked to follow the guy this morning. Driving 65mph down the freeway and come up on a nice fishing boat and can't see around it. Not much of a boat guy but deep V, open bow, and good sized canopy with several pole holders so definitely going for some off-shore fishing on a Friday. It was probably somewhere in the mid-20s for length. Come around him (he's doing 55mph or so) and it's being towed by...a Honda Odyssey. That is one boat launch I would pay to see!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
62 mercury meteor coupe, I had one of them I got from my Dad. It was an auto with a 221 V 8. Got the worst mpg. Dad bought it for mpg and then found out how bad they were. I sold it and bought a 67 super sport with 396, it had 323 gears and I let my dad use it on vacation one time, he loved it. Got 17 mpg on super shell. It only had headers at that time, stock, with 4 speed. Anyway I thought I'd share the story.
My Dad had some nice cars. His first car was a '48 Pontiac Torpedo 2dr which he sold when he got the Meteor - his first and only new car, with the 260 V8. Then he got married. I barely remember the '58 wagon when I was five, we sold it '71. My grandmom had a used '69 Fury III 2dr hardtop with a 440 in the late seventies, she sold it when I was 15!

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***