1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power Door Locks and Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM
skdaddle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Power Door Locks and Power Windows

I have a 2004 F250 Super duty that had a battery die (I left the keys in the ignition switched on overnight) and after jumping the battery off the vehicle started up but now I have no power door lock or window functions.

Any reason a dead battery issue might affect the power locks and windows?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Check to make sure no fuses are blown. your owner's manual should id the fuses. you can download a manual here.

Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 AM
skdaddle
New User
Just Strokin - Thanks

I never had a manual with this truck as I had purchased it used, thank you for the link to those downloads, I will check the fuses this morning, hopefully that is all that will be needed.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:10 AM
skdaddle
New User
Fuses checked out

All the fuses were ok, leaning towards a bad ground or broken wire in the harness as a possible cause, this isn't going to be a simple fix.

Odd that the locks and windows all failed to operate at the same time and right after a dead battery was jumped off with another vehicle, I'm missing something...

Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by skdaddle
All the fuses were ok, leaning towards a bad ground or broken wire in the harness as a possible cause, this isn't going to be a simple fix.

Odd that the locks and windows all failed to operate at the same time and right after a dead battery was jumped off with another vehicle, I'm missing something...
maybe check the wires/grounds that are located close to the battery first in case one wiggled loose when you were moving stuff around to jump the battery

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM
skdaddle
New User
Cannot locate an under hood breaker box

From articles I have read there is supposed to be another circuit breaker box under the hood, but I cannot find one. All that is on the driver's side are two covered boxes each containing two what appears to be relays.

There is also a battery junction box and a central junction box being thrown about online, both supposedly have fuses/relays in them, I can't find them anywhere, but since my battery died and I had to jump it off I suspect the battery junction box fuse(s) are needing to be checked.

The ground wire at the battery was ok.

I have found an online diagram of the Central Junction Fuse Box with all of the fuses listed but it doesn't say where it's located and the Ford Manual is no help, either, it doesn't even show a diagram or list it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by skdaddle
From articles I have read there is supposed to be another circuit breaker box under the hood, but I cannot find one. All that is on the driver's side are two covered boxes each containing two what appears to be relays.

There is also a battery junction box and a central junction box being thrown about online, both supposedly have fuses/relays in them, I can't find them anywhere, but since my battery died and I had to jump it off I suspect the battery junction box fuse(s) are needing to be checked.

The ground wire at the battery was ok.

I have found an online diagram of the Central Junction Fuse Box with all of the fuses listed but it doesn't say where it's located and the Ford Manual is no help, either, it doesn't even show a diagram or list it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

this thread may help

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1147349-where-is-the-central-junction-box.html

Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM
skdaddle
New User
Central Junction Box location confusion

When I go online to locate the Central Junction Box (there is also a Central Battery Box listed) for my 2004 F250 Super Duty Lariat everything says they are located under the hood of the vehicle. According to the schematic and diagram it should be a fairly large Junction Box, but all I can find under the hood (on the driver's side) are two small box covers each containing two relays side by side.

The schematic drawing looks nothing at all like what my fuse panel under the dash looks like.

I have attached these drawings, any idea where i can look for the Central Junction Box? It appears to have the fuse I need to check.

This is the Central Junction Box diagram they showed for my 2004 F250 Super Duty online (there is also a Central Battery Box with fuses shown for this truck)

It shows that I need to check fuse F2.42 for my door locks and windows that quit working after I left the ignition switch on overnight, killing the battery, and then jump started the vehicle from my wife's Montero Sport the next morning.

This is the fuse panel under my dash, I checked all the fuses and they were OK. The big metal capped breaker #601 passed a continuity check with my meter and fuse #102 was ok as well.

Owner's Manual diagram for fuse panel that came with the truck, the manual shows nothing like this located under the hood

Owner's Manual fuse panel layout

Old 08-12-2017, 01:38 PM
skdaddle
New User
Thank you for that link.

The info I am getting online shows there is a Central Junction Box (there is also a Central Battery Box shown) that control the power windows and door locks, it has a fuse in it that I need to check. Nowhere does it say where this box is located under the hood, my truck has no fuse box like the one they show under the hood and the fuse panel under my dash looks nothing like it. (See attached photos)
All that I could find under my hood (on the driver's side) was two modules each containing two relays side by side, noting like the diagram showed.
Still at a loss and still no windows or door locks operable.
This is the Central Junction Box diagram from the link for my year and make/model truck

Fuse F2.42 is what I need to check for my situation but this fuse box is nowhere to be found in my vehicle

This is from my Owner's Manual

All my fuses checked out OK

This matches my fuse box under the dash, can't find any issues with the fuses for the mirror and door locks, it doesn't show a power window fuse

Old 08-12-2017, 02:24 PM
skdaddle
New User
Voltages

I pulled the console armrest module off the driver's door and checked all switches (Power Door Locks, Power Mirror, Power Windows) for voltages, everything had voltage going to them.

Attaching two photos of my under dash fuse panel box. I pulled every fuse and reset them after checking them, they are all ok.

This is the under dash fuse panel box on my 2004 F250 Super Duty Lariat

I have no way of checking the relays, not sure if they even have anything to do with the loss of the door locks, power windows and power mirror

Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Towards the end of this linked thread there's a possible solution

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/what-controls-power-windows-door-locks-radio-my-2003-7-3-f-250-a-279995/#/topics/279995?page=3

Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 PM
skdaddle
New User
Problems solved!

Ok, thanks to all who helped steer me in the right troubleshooting direction, I tested each of the control switch modules in the door for the power locks, windows and mirror and found there was an open ground, nothing was going to chassis ground on the switches. Rather than try to hunt down the location of the problem I trimmed all of the ground wires so the bare wires were exposed and adjacent to each other, then tied them all together with a short piece of ground wire and taped them up good. I then secured the other end of my ground splice wire to a bolt in the door and tested everything, they all worked again! It was a quick fix, I was prepared to go into the doors and pull out the motors, etc. to test them but did not have to take it that far.

It seems Ford had a rather major issue with bad ground wires in the harness wiring for this and other year models from what I've read. Glad it didn't set me back any more than my time.

This is a great forum board, keep up the good work, thanks again!