6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Additives

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this site that specifically discusses Fuel Additives.

I've read through the benefits of using them on both your ignition and emissions systems. Seems like something that should be used. The question is, which one is the "best".

So far I've narrowed it down to a few:

Diesel Kleen - seems to be a pretty good seller. I've seen a post I think in the 6.4 forum about someone that used it helping his regen cycle.

Stanadyne - This one seems to always be mentioned as one of the best

Liqui Moly - another one that is mentioned in a few places as one of the best

Royal Purple Max-Tane - Same deal - mentioned in a few places as one of the best

AR6200 - This seems to be a "compound" and I found 2 additives that contain it - Alliant Power Ultraguard and Archoil AR6200

The last one on at least my radar is Lucas fuel treatment

I haven't really figured out which one to go with. I'm guessing with like most of the other "stuff" any will "work". I need to find that "happy spot" in my brain so I'm not regretting my selection.

Wondering what everyone else is using if anything

Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask your dealer what you can use and if you would be in any danger of losing your warranty should you have a fuel system related problem.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There has been dozens of discussions on fuel additive here on the forum. It covers the plus the minus, the worries, the Warranty, and any other risk an owner could face.

One of the additives that you left off of your list is the Ford Motorcraft product sold in dealerships.

Over all I think that 6.7 owners are some of the more worried vehicle owners on the road. We all want to extend the life of our engine. But do so with out worries of any warranty claim being stricken down and being red flagged in the system.

Ford does like to keep us on our toes, that is for sure. Don't believe me check out all of the latest questions of CJ vs CK oil approval for use in the 6.7. Every oil manufacture out there says that the new CK oil is good for use in all CJ required vehicles. Yet, Ford says it ain't so. Now Ford does keep updating their Approved Oil List, but in the mean time do owners have to change their choice of motor oil to stay in the Ford Warranty Good Graces?

And to make it even more fun the oil manufactures have been reported as to filling the old CJ oil bottles with the new CK oil formula.

So in the end, if you want to use a fuel additive do your homework and make a choice. Make sure you understand exactly what the additive does if there is water found in your fuel.

Me, I stopped using an additive a long, long time ago. I make sure to stop and fuel at only well know fuel stops and drain my fuel separator bowl every three weeks or less. I have yet to find any water in my fuel. If you are adding it for lubrication or power, again make sure you know what is in the additive.

Some times I think we could have a new game show for prime time TV called "Ford 6.7 the Warranty Risk Factor".

Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
I use the Lucas fuel treatment in my IDI. It's pretty reasonable on Amazon. Of course, the needs of an IDI are quite a bit different than the needs of a 6.7L PS. Definitely use something that won't void your warranty.

I don't know if I have the file anymore but I saw a study someone did on about a dozen or so different fuel additives. It was all done professionally and the results were quite surprising (meaning there wasn't much difference between the name brand additives). It might be worth a Google to see if you can find it. I will search my computer at home and see if I still have it.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use what ever, but I have been using Ford PM-22 for my last 3 Diesel Trucks and never had any issues with the Fuel System or Engine Performance.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Here is the file. It's from the Diesel Place, a GM site.

It's good info though. Maybe I should go to their site and make fun of them... nah. They're probably too busy trying to fix their Duramax.

​​​​​​​

Attached Images
Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sub'd!
10 character minimum

Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Opti-Lube Summer+ in my vehicle. This wasn't in your list.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm using PM-22 every tank for injector lubrication. I fill up at Diesel islands when possible or at stations that see a lot of business.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
I can't believe there isn't a thread on this site that specifically discusses Fuel Additives.
There's a mountain of threads on this subject. And many different "opinions".

The most important thing you should be considering when choosing a fuel additive is to consult the Ford Owner's Manual. It is VERY specific regarding fuel additives, and it's specific for a REASON.

Short and simple, the wrong additives can actually cause additional wear, can allow water to bypass the separator, or a host of other issues. Ford states in the owner's manual to use PM-22 (or PM-23 in the winter) or EQUIVALENT.

Additives that are formulated differently and/or advertise to do more than the Ford products should be avoided.

MSDS sheets are easily attainable online, making it simple to compare products side-by-side.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Braggs
I've been using Opti-Lube Summer+ in my vehicle. This wasn't in your list.
I also use Opti-Lube Summer Plus which is not on your list but was a top performer in the PDF posted earlier. Diesel Kleen is popular because it is available everywhere but was a poor performer in the previously mentioned PDF 2007 study. Any additive you use should not necessarily be a popularity contest winner. It is important to note that the 2007 study was for lubricity only so DK may be good for cetane boost, etc. I saw a comparison from a Lucas user who ended up switching to DK after testing with it. If there is any bio in your fuel, lubricity is probably not an issue.
Reason to use? Poor US fuel quality standards with a cetane minimum of 40 when Europe has specified 51 for years, keeping HPFP and injectors lubricated for long life and reducing soot to give your DPF and EGR a long life. BTW, Ford's PM-22 is made by another additive company, contains cetane booster, lubricity and detergents. Sound familiar?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Readgriff
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ski Smuggs
You state the Fords PM-22 is made by who?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Readgriff
Ski Smuggs
I believe sta-bil is the manufacturer of PM-22.

Edit: Yep I remembered correctly. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15356899

Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Readgriff
Ski Smuggs
I don't remember, but it has been brought up in dozens of additive threads across several forums. It may very well be Sta-Bil.
The point is that Ford has a video suggesting that US diesel is variable enough that some doesn't even meet the minimal standards and that PM-22 is recommended to verify that our engines are getting enough cetane and lubricity.
While I haven't tried it (yet), Stanadyne Diesel Performance Enhancer would be the one that stands out in almost all discussions like this and can be had at many retailers. Since I ordered the Opti-Lube Summer Plus gallon jug with pump and spare bottles, I have little incentive to use anything else. I was tempted by Amalgamated TDS-FL as it seems to have produced great fleet results, but it looks like it takes twice the dose of my Summer Plus which makes me question the economy and convenience of it.
http://www.dieselfuellube.com/order2.html
http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-fl.aspx

Old 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives