1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Woes

So, we have been having some record temps this summer and it has been rough, Friday, 2 weeks ago, I took the truck for a free 15K oil change (14,200 on truck). They came out and said the batteries were split so they were replacing them under warranty. Came back later and said one popped and made a mess with the acid and it was in the electrical so they were ordering parts and to come back tuesday.

Take the truck in tuesday and get a ride home, end of the day they are no where close to done so after some bitchin I get a 2015 Edge loaner on their dime. By friday I still have no truck and they tell me Monday for sure as they have to button it up and call in a detailer to clean up the engine bay after neutralizing the acid.

So, the main engine bay harness that is basically most everything forward of the firewall was replaced and I told them all damage had to be fixed or replaced, they said yes.

Monday rolled in and I went to pick it up in the afternoon. Opened the hood and there was a new harness and a tone of Armorall. Lifted the positive terminal cover and the secondary small cable was blueish and crusty, I was pissed. Looked up at the underside of the hood and is is covered in neutralized acid splatter.....Now I am really pissed. I went directly to the manager and he assured me they will get the rest fixed ASAP. Told them to repaint the underside of the hood as it would kill my resale later, they didn't like it but agreed. I left with the assurance I would get a status call the next day.
No call on Tuesday or Wednesday so I called about 3. They got the wrong part and had to reorder and it would take 3 days BUT, they didn't send it over to paint while they were waiting. I have to have the truck this weekend to pull a trailer, so now they are going to give me back the truck on Friday while waiting for parts and I have to take it back Monday to finish the job and hopefully have it back before the weekend.

What friggen mechanic puts in a main harness with new battery terminals and then puts a corroded secondary wire back on it?????? By the time they are done they will have had the truck 3 weeks. Damn glad I am not paying for repairs or the rental.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Jeeze, they didn't even hit it with a wire brush. If they'd done that, apply a little grease...

That's one thing I never understood about some shops. Have to have a sharp guy who knows how to manage the work flow. Didn't say I'd be any better at it, but it's sure easy to tell when somebody can't.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:26 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Feel bad for you

unfortunately, the way most dealers seem to operate is to just "churn and burn" - do a job without regard to quality.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 AM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
I hate to sound like "that guy" however if you have the physical ability and a little know-how you're much better off turning the wrenches yourself. Nobody cares about your truck as much as you do...

Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob89
I hate to sound like "that guy" however if you have the physical ability and a little know-how you're much better off turning the wrenches yourself. Nobody cares about your truck as much as you do...

If the truck is out of warranty I would agree with you...In warranty period it goes to the dealer.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
warranty or not..

not right is not right...

I would correct it myself.. but that's me.

its all about "TIME" and "MONEY"... less time and more money....
do NOT blame the mechanic... its the manager.. faster,faster,faster,faster.

retired mechanic.. Not Ford.
in this connector issue.. its been that way for months... my opinion.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not me...I wouldn't buy a brand new vehicle and not use the warranty.
This dealer definitely is screwing the OP, I would take it elsewhere.
I have plenty of time and not a lot of money!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
warranty or not..

not right is not right...

its all about "TIME" and "MONEY"... less time and more money....
do NOT blame the mechanic... its the manager.. faster,faster,faster,faster.

retired mechanic.. Not Ford.
in this connector issue.. its been that way for months... my opinion.
I agree it has prolly been that way for a little while, been working in the wood shop/garage for a couple months during the heat, so no clue when the batteries popped.

As for doing it myself, I can, worked on cars for 50 years and was an active crew chief on race cars for 9 years.....BUT... This is far too expensive of repair that warranty covers for me to do it, I just have to be diligent (pushy) to get it done right. As for the service, they have done warranty work for me for ten years on multiple new vehicles, first bad experience with them. I do like buying a new truck and I like my trucks loaded for traveling. I still do a lot of work on my kids cars tho and when I am out of warranty I do my own.