2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Running Boards ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 AM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Running Boards ???

It seems you need something to help get in and out of these even at stock stance.

I was thinking about a fixed board to double as a rock guard and help protect the lower panels. Some have mentioned some of these also help protect from parking lot door dings, etc. I actually like the 6" extended board which is just a $230 option. An extended boards would be great for help with bed access.

I know many like the auto OEM and AMP boards. I also know AMP has an XL that includes a Rock guard that helps protect the very bottom (but not the sides at all).

Anyway.... just thought I would see what some opinions are on why you use what you use for cab steps / running boards.

Thanks!!!!!!!

EDIT: I actually like these Luverne Grip Steps..... they make an extended model and someone posted a set on a truck a few months back.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 AM
GoldenDomer
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the factory installed power steps. They seemed to come down more and further out which made it easier to get in and out. My wife is also a little shorter so it definitely helps her out more. Plus the platform just seemed like it had more room for my big feet. Just my $.02

Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Duke, I went with the factory extended running board on my Lariat. I'm hoping that I'll be able to utilize the extended portion to access a toolbox in the bed, if not I think it will help provide some underbody protection. I like the fixed step on my 2012.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:05 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My truck came with power steps. I wouldn't have anything else. The only concern I had when I first got my truck was the rear-end was significantly higher off the ground. This made the built-in tailgate steps impossible for me to reach and I'm 6 feet tall. I lowered the rear-end by only 1.5" and it also lowering the power steps a little as well. I can just barely get my foot on the tailgate step but at least I can get into the bed now. I didn't notice much of an improvement on the power steps although I didn't have an issue with them being too high from the beginning.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tony m 6.7
Duke, I went with the factory extended running board on my Lariat. I'm hoping that I'll be able to utilize the extended portion to access a toolbox in the bed, if not I think it will help provide some underbody protection. I like the fixed step on my 2012.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. And at $230 aren't out much if you want to change 1-2 years down the road.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM
maps
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the extended running boards as well. I like the idea of them acting as a rock guard and I have a 5th wheel so it will be much easier to hitch and unhitch using the step. I do think the automatic steps are cool and are much "cleaner" looking.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:28 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife had the retractable running boards on her Denali. They were nice until the salt and other elements got to them. $2500 or so later, they both worked fine again. I promised myself to avoid those like the plague.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 PM
manowell
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenDomer
I went with the factory installed power steps. They seemed to come down more and further out which made it easier to get in and out. My wife is also a little shorter so it definitely helps her out more. Plus the platform just seemed like it had more room for my big feet. Just my $.02

Ditto. I likes the fact that since they retracted they wouldn't collect mud and the rare slush down here. Never occurred to me that they'd be lower and thus more accessable to the women-folk in my household.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I bought NFABs, have had them on my last three trucks, they really hold up over time. I like the looks and the steps have saved me from a few door dings.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:07 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tricon
I bought NFABs, have had them on my last three trucks, they really hold up over time. I like the looks and the steps have saved me from a few door dings.
I really like your NFab and I've been familiar with them for years. The jeep crowd really likes them a lot too. Like the auto steps them are also much cleaner looking. I would just think wet/mud/ice my big foot would slip off. And I would never want that to happen to the wife

Looks like me and 'maps' and 'tony m' are thinking alike. And I think the extended OEM board or Luverne's would protect from dings etc. as much or more than the NFabs.

Oh well....... I am going to continue to look and consider options.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,552 Likes on 836 Posts
I too wish I had the extended OEM ones. I have the standard ones but that doesn't do me any good when I have to haul my old decrepit **** over the side to hook up the gooseneck. The tires are really tall and aggravating for me to step up on. I am going in via the tail gate now but over the side would be much easier.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked the factory steps but I personally didn't like how far they hung down so I raised them up close to the truck. You can purchase the brackets from Ford for the 2015 & up f150's and they bolt right up.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:21 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Had I known you could raise them up like that Blue6.2, I would have done the factory ones as well... I didn't like how low they were either. I like that look. I got some Magnum RT's for something which are in the garage waiting.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:23 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
I liked the factory steps but I personally didn't like how far they hung down so I raised them up close to the truck. You can purchase the brackets from Ford for the 2015 & up f150's and they bolt right up.
I agree and think they look better mounted closer to the cab. Are you saying you used a different bracket (for F150) to mount them?? rather than using the brackets provided for F250??

Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with the basic black plastic fixed running boards. I personally love them for the look and functionality. Parking lot door dings, flying rock protection and of course as steps. I like the look of black over the chrome. I also don't like the electric boards as you lose 2 of the protection items and its another electronic thing that could break (being on the outside and underside of the truck).

Really at the end of the day I like the look and needed some type of step for the wife and kids.

Quick Reply: Running Boards ???